main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    You are never allowed to speak again out of the fear that someone with power may read your post and think that's a fabulous idea.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, I tend to not get very worked up over continuity issues anymore, but I am sure as hell NOT down with Filoni doing his take on the post-RotJ era.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Precisely. While -- as with Nick -- I've wanted to see post-ROTJ adapted for ages, this sets alarm bells ringing. I've been fairly chill about Disney stuff and have chastised people for panicking, but putting Filoni in the post-ROTJ period legit worries me. He might do something like make Pestage and Isard a couple, or have a restored Senate for some reason. We might see Borleias appear... upside down!

Mission accomplished, Disney. I am now worried about the EU's survival.

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You want a frankenstein's monster out of the EU again like TCW and you expect a story to be better for it?

[​IMG]

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    for those hoping for an X-Wing series or such... I would not get my hopes up. It most likely will be a Big Three series if post-ROTJ indeed.. I know that Fiiloni unleashed from Lucas could bring some better continuity, but I certainly doubt it will be that optimal.

If anything, I hope they'd do a series from the Imperial point of view so that they a) have less continuity to contradict b) can lead up to the good Empire of the Fels and c) will thus reference but not destroy or outright depict post-ROTJ EU sources while still showing them to Moviefans so they are up to speed for the Sequels.

so.. bring on TIE-FIGHTER ANIMATED: RISE OF THE FELPIRE ... with Thrawn, Pelly, Daala, Soontir and more showcasing post-ROTJ from a new perspective while keeping it canon AND adding to it. Like I, Jedi did to the Jedi Academy books :)

sure.. wishful thinking there I know.. but that'd be better than X-wing or Big Three redone

Edit: PS: Season 1 has Soontir Fel as a pilot of the 181st including is shorttime break with Rogue Squadron and the REENLISTMENT OF BARON FEL animated, Season 2 bypasses Dark Empire with Fel in the Unknown Regions already as the torch passes to his kids we never knew but their name and deaths.. how they worked undercover for the Empire of the Hand in the UR and in the GFFA under Pelly, Daala etc. as Agents of the Hand. We can see how the Imperials overcame being lead by powerhungry mad darksiders and how it restructured till becoming a heroic savior of the Rim in the Vonginvasion.. etc.

[​IMG]

Zorrixor likes this.
  6. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    indeed... the definition of what is good varies a lot among fans alone.. let alone authors, editors, critiques and financial advisors to Disney...

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ceiran, have you been drinking my Kool-Aid?

No, seriously. Somebody took my Kool-Aid and I want to know who.

CeiranHarmony and Zorrixor like this.
  8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Nah, Tycho hasn't got enough drama potential... Filoni would kill that Ackbar guy off, he was a big face in ROTJ, so needs the chop quick and easy to explain his absence in the ST.

Barriss_Coffee and Esg like this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Barriss_Coffee and TrandoJedi like this.
  10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    That is very interesting! I could see Star Wars games being the "death" of LucasArts, due to I think the success making them somewhat lazy. Although in the 90s they certainly were making excellent Star Wars games...

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Eh, I'm not that impressed. I see the point that it's good to have outlets outside Star Wars, to let the company do more than just that, but when somebody who's been outside the business for years says that LucasArts failed because "it’s harder to be outrageously creative within someone else’s universe" I'm not buying it. It's not hard to be creative inside the Star Wars universe, and nothing about making Star Wars games forced LA to stop making original titles. It was just bad management.

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

I could get used to being you, Jello ;)

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Especially since we got a ton of SW games that were insanely creative within the setting.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    While I am by no means a Dave Fioni fanboy, I do feel it is unfair for him to receive the lions share of the criticism for TCW. I place a good chunk of the blame on Uncle George, who apparently was much more involved in the series than we were first led to believe. There are a handful of good quotes from Fioni where he either implies or damn near outright states that George was always putting his fingers in the pot. Frankly, and with respect to the man who gave us Star Wars in the first place, the Sequel Trilogy will be much better without him. Period.

I am not sure that Dave Fioni would be put in charge of the new animated series. I think that Disney is more likely to bring in someone fresh, potentially someone working in tandem with the folks developing the Sequel Trilogy so that the new continuity is tied together nicely. If done correctly and with the right mix of people, an animated series set post-ROTJ could build a great backstory for Episode VII and hopefully provide an initial springboard for new books, games, toys, etc.

For what it is worth, I am not sure we will see Ackbar in the Sequel Trilogy. If it is 30-40 years after ROTJ, he would presumably be dead or have retired. To be honest, I would much rather have the Sequel Trilogy show that Wedge Antilles eventually becomes Supreme Commander of the military. The symbolism of the young pilot who survived the Original Trilogy going on to become the Rebels top military officer would make me very happy.

--Adm. Nick[/quote]

TheRedBlade and JediMara77 like this.
  15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

TrandoJedi and Gorefiend like this.
  16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Search your feelings you know it to be true

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It was all those Battles of Hoths that did it.

(seriously -- cool article! I didn't know they weren't allowed to create Star Wars games all those years.)

Zorrixor, Esg and darklordoftech like this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Cool!

cthugha likes this.
  19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    As far as TFU goes, NONE of it should be allowed in the new canon.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I have to agree. In fact, look at the dates -- 1982 to 1990? 1990 is when the original Monkey Island came out. Many of its most successful adventure cames came *after* the first Monkey Island game. LEC was at the height of its creative powers just at the same time that it was "allowed" to make Star Wars games.

So I think it's complete nonsense, as well as blame-shifting. Now, I don't blame the designers and stuff -- I think they could be creative when they had the chance, but I DO blame the management. Look at how many leadership reshuffles they had. Look at how LEC treated even third-party developers (remember the pressure they put on Obsidian to release KOTOR2 prematurely?).

It wasn't Star Wars that killed LEC. It was the executives in charge of LEC that killed it.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I understand the reasoning, though - at a certain point, Lucasarts decided to just basically do Lucasfilm adaptations and abandoned everything else. Lucasarts' best Star Wars games were made in the culture that produced Grim Fandango, Monkey Island and Sam & Max - they were great because of the game design, not the IP. And yes, that was a management issue which caused an exodus of talent to places like Telltale.

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Disney is now officially making me mad, they cancelled everything LucasArts was doing, 1313, First Assault, and Version Two (which appears to be the latest attempt at Battlefront III), because it was too "violent" according to the Kotaku article on LucasArts.

23. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    It's Disney, what do you expect? They're a "family" entertainment business. Do you see Disney putting out first person shooters or a risqué/dark/edgy game like 1313?

I wonder how Disney policies will affect the content of books and comics?

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Disney infamously had the "Pirates of the Carribean" kids MMO where they are given guns... that can't be used to shoot people, only monsters (you're told it's not the "pirate code" to use a gun on a person). Not that it stops NPC guards from shooting you. I guess that it is part of the "guard code"?

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    What did Disney think they were buying, The Last Starfighter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.