main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Hidden Genius Behind the Prophecy of "The Chosen One"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ewoksimon, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Yes he most certainly is. Without him, Star Wars wouldn't have it's love song theme called "Across the Stars". Anakin and Padme are like Romeo and Juliet....

Nice backstory for Darth Vader.....

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Seriously?
    We were bantering. We did not expect anyone to believe that Shakespeare was the reason for Anakin and Padme's relationship. There's plenty of doomed couples in stories from all over the world - for example, the weaving girl and the cow-herd. That love was (and is) LITERALLY across the stars - in the form of the Milky Way.

kainee likes this.
  3. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Star Wars does not take place in the Milky way galaxy.

Also, SW takes place in a galaxy, with stars and planets, but how were they across the stars literally? They were not..

I'm not being sarcastic, you are.

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I'm saying that without Romeo and Juliet, the Anakin/Padme story could have still happened. Especially since Romeo and Juliet is the most famous doomed relationship only in the western hemisphere. The weaving girl and the cowherd is the one billions of Asians grew up with.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yes, I know...

6. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    A few points I would like to make about the Prophecy.

1) Anakin's fulfillment of the prophecy does not measure his worth to the universe in anyway. By fulfilling a prophecy one if merely doing what the universe expected, not fulfilling the measure of their creation. A person living out a prophecy is not somehow fulfilling the will of the universe. Because a prophecy is made via God, the Force, nature, etc. does not mean that the prophecy is the will of God, the Force, nature, etc. For instance say that a father can tell by his son's actions that his son is doomed to a life of alcoholism and heartache. His knowledge of these events does not make it his will, just that his wisdom and experience help him to understand where actions may lead.

2) Anakin's ultimate actions may have added worth to the universe, but that is a side note to his fulfillment of the prophecy if we take into account that his destruction of the Jedi Order may have also been bringing balance to the Force (not arguing either way on this at the moment).

3) As far as Yoda suggesting that the prophecy may have been misread my initial thoughts (prior to this discussion) were that the Jedi did not completely understand what "balance" might entail. After reading some of the thoughts here I suppose it is possible that Yoda meant something else; something along the lines of balance not being what was intended, but something else altogether.

MandalorianWrath likes this.
  7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The Rebel Alliance did not kill any unarmed imperial civilians. This is high-advanced/high-tech outer space/science fiction warfare, aka, also known as Star Wars. With such grandeur space battles, it's pretty safe to assume that all of those innocent imperial civilians were not involved with the war in any way/shape/form!!!

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Grand Admiral Jello could probably quote everything dubious the Rebels did.

9. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Actually, stop and reflect on it. We know almost nothing about this prophecy.

Who wrote it? When? What exactly did it say?

All we really get are vagueries about "restoring balance". Even Yoda admits it may have been misread.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And a chosen one. ROTS may imply that the prophecy also speaks of destroying the Sith. Also, from Mace's TPM dialogue it can be inferred ( as it is in the novelization ) that the prophecy says something about the midichlorians.

11. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
  12. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The whole chosen one, no father BS turned the story into some sort of quasi religious bunch of crap. Why not make Anakin just a normal dude. Who'd had a pretty **** life but had been 'blessed' with certain talents.

kubricklynch likes this.
  13. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Exactly... Vader becomes Space Jesus and overly important because he's important to us, the audience. Wouldn't it have been enough if he was simply a fallen Jedi?

kubricklynch and Jcuk like this.
  14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, plenty. I'd have preferred if the primary focus was on Obi-Wan, anyway, with Anakin as a supporting character. Would have worked fine, and still have led into the OT just as well.

kubricklynch likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    That's right. Obi-Wan should've been the main character of TPM.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He turns Watto into whine.

17. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    When did Jesus have a Death Star? Is this is in the Testament of the Whills?:D

I also like the fact that Anakin made C3PO and Luke and Leia, in a strange way C3PO is their older sibling.

18. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    So in ESB, is that the feeding of the 5 thousand when Han, Chewie and Leie are captured, as there did appear to be a lot of food there!

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    So your unaware of the link between Jesus's conception and Anakins conception?

20. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    So you're saying that God created Jesus from midiclorans and that god resembles a Darth Plagueis type character? [face_thinking]

I was joking, I think having a Deathstar in the Bible would also make it a much better story!!

darth ladnar likes this.
  21. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Virgin birth, prophecy (messiah), "chosen one", restore balance to the force/absolve man of sin, none of this is ringing any bells?

22. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    Obviously!! :rolleyes:

Even the position of Vader looks akin to a crucifix after he's brought back from the "near" death (resurrection you could say).

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, those mean the same thing.

24. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I feel like Lieutenant Dan reading through this. "Jesus this and jeeesus that!" :rolleyes:

The whole concept of virgin birth in general is something that has been in hundreds maybe thousands of folktales/myths/legends exc for literally thousands of years. Anyone who knows about fantasy can tell you that.

Its a very fairy tale/myth/fable/fantasy thing and it does wonders when it comes to rounding out the whole Saga and giving a lot more meaning to many, many things as well as connecting Episode 1 to Episode 6 and giving a whole deeper edge to the fantasy aspect of the Saga. When Vader kills Palpatine at the end now it feels satisfying and meaningful rather than simply random and out of character which is something that a lot of people complained about back when ROTJ first came out.

Go watch "Legend" by Ridley Scott before you watch any SW Episodes. Sitting here in the year 2013 complaining about the simple aspect of virgin birth in SW and rejecting such a basic aspect of the whole Saga is like complaining and picking bones about the details of that fantasy film.

25. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't recall any great outcry that Vader's actions were random and out of character. I'd say that what made that scene what it was was Vader's realisation that he had choice; and he acted to stop Palpatine. It was the culmination of character development, not some random switch. Vader's character alters subtly from ANH through to the finale. He is troubled by the appearance of his son. What made that scene was that, as a result of Luke's actions Anakin made a choice.

But....you think that, because he is born (probably) of the midiclorians (which are a biological entity, very different from Yoda's teachings in TESB, so he is not born of the Force anyway...) rather than as a human being - ie with a father - that somehow this makes his 'choice' more meaningful? But then, if it is simply his destiny, then he hasn't made a choice at all. In fact all of his choices were destined, so he didn't even need redeeming - he was only ever doing what he was intended to do.

The whole virgin birth/prophecy shenanigans is probably the major distancing, for me, between Episodes 1 and 6.