main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you want Tartakovsky for future SW cartoon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Yes and no.

No, he would not be my first choice. I thought the microseries was the perfect bridge between AOTC and ROTS, but I wouldn't want to see 22 minute episodes in that style, running indefinitely with an original story in a new era. I liked the 3D animation of TCW very much, especially by S5, but it also showed that it had limitations due to cost and time of developing character models and environments.

IMO they should stick with 2D, whether it be full blown Japanese style:

Or something more akin to DC's animation style

Not more of this:

[​IMG]

Now, having said that, if tomorrow it was announced that there would be a new show by Genndy, I wouldn't be that upset. I liked the microseries, it's just not ideally what I'd like to see.

TreborSabreon and Mia Mesharad like this.
  2. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I like how relevant it was to the actual series. Aside from the "over-powered" nitpick, the characters seemed genuine. It focused on lesser known characters from the movies at some points, and explained plot points not addressed in the movies.

Though when discussing a new series, there's a lot to consider. I think the show worked best in the prequel era, and the tone might not translate as well to the OT era. Personally, I liked how TCW found a balance between the two different eras, and made many connections as well.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    After rewatching the damn street racing episode of Sym-Biotic Titan I'm less inclined to let Genndy do another SW animated series. That episode is just awful.

4. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    NO for me, a show with Tartakovsky would not be for me, I do not like him at all. I thought that what he did for CW microseries and Hotel Transilvania was horrible.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  5. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    No, it was awesome as a kid. Now when I see it it's just overpowered to hell. I'd want a show from him over no show but if there was options I probably wouldnt choose him...Not to mention his canon F'up cost grievous a kill

6. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Tartakovsky cost Grievous a kill?

*facepalm*

TrandoJedi, JackG, Esg and 1 other person like this.
  7. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Togruta likes this.
  8. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

Darth_Zandalor and Esg like this.
  9. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Meaning, he cost him an on-screen MOVIE KILL.... thats a completely different ball game than a comic kill

10. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Dude, Filoni has cost Grievous like, ten Jedi kills.

TrandoJedi, Esg and Togruta like this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, this just about sums it up for me, too. Tartakovsky's style of animation is one thing (it certainly has it's moments), but the sacrifice of any character depth at all, in favor of rediculuosly overpowered action scenes is not high on my list of things I hope to see from the new series. Like at all.

As far as the look of the production is concerned, I really hope the new show takes advantage of the groundwork laid by The Clone Wars and boasts as picturesque and grogeous a 3D style as we were given over the last couple of seasons of TCW. My one visual criticism of TCW would be the overly-stylized look of, say, Dooku's wooden head/beard. Yeah, things like that could go out the door (or at the least, be toned down a bit), but mostly, if it can't be live-action, I say let's just build off of TCW's work.

Generally speaking, Star Wars is always well done, visually, so I imagine no matter the which style is settled upon, the look will take care of itself. Certainly, characterization is high on my list of priorities, so, you know, as long as whoever helms this thing pays attention to that, with at least a modium of respect to the works and storylines that have come before, we should be good, I'd think.

FARK2005, TaradosGon, Seerow and 2 others like this.
  12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    TCW never did that, thank god.
    Oh, wait . . .

[​IMG]

13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

Darth_Zandalor likes this.
  14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I love both Clone Wars series, but the microseries I just love to bits. It was my first and awesome introduction to General Grievous and launched me into grabbing anything Clone Wars related. I had "The Clone Wars" game on both Gamecube and Original Xbox because of that show. Sure it the art-style may not be everyone's cup of tea and the characters may do some pretty ridiculous feats at times. But I don't care I love it. Its kinda how I pictured Jedi fighting in the Clone Wars would be like when Ben Kenobi talked about the Clone Wars with Luke.

Ventress, Dooku, and Durge were phenomenal. Then Grievous came and made me favor the side of the Separatists 10x over the Republic, they were so cool! For the longest time I loved the CIS....then ROTS came out and the droids spoke in a completely new voice....I missed the older voices. :(

I wished for Tartakovsky to make a return to Star Wars with another microseries set in any era, but I don't think its going to happen anymore. One of the many things I liked about Filoni's Clone Wars was the different CIS characters introduced, but they weren't as fearsome as what was in the microseries. Savage and Ventress was something that made me cheer for the CIS again, but Savage didn't stay under Dooku for very long at all.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    One think I don't like about CW is that Sidious looked and sounded like a typical cartoon villain.

16. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    CW:[​IMG] TCW:[​IMG] I think I prefer CW's version of Grievous better.

TrandoJedi, JackG and Esg like this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm under the impression that TCW Grevious is the Grevious that GL always intended.

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's kinda how I feel about the Microseries although I like the artistic presence of Genndy's style in it and Samurai Jack. The over powered action actually seems almost like legends through the eyes of a child which has some merit but there isn't much story, mythology, or characterization explored. That's not to say Genndy can't do all those things and some character depth. Check out Sym-Biotic Titan which is a damn good example of what Genndy can do with a traditional western action cartoon, street racing episode aside.

Yeah, that's all well and good for Genndy's animation style itself, but when it comes to visuals TCW has raised the bar high. I think it would be hard to go back to even high end 2D animation rivaling the best BONES can produce and lower end 3D would be hard as well. This although I think an animation style something like the anime Soul Eater crossed with Korra would be awesome. I'm really not sure what the future holds visually. From what I've been reading with Tron: Uprising, Transformers Prime, and even A:TLB/Korra the $1 million price tag actually seems standard for a highend Western Animation action show. Still looking for production costs for the DC shows. So long as its not some more cheesy flash animated tripe.

Story depth is important as well. TCW's strengths were elaborating on the mythologies of both Star Wars and within the Clone Wars itself, and the awesome work it did with the OCs, Anakin, and Obi-wan. Villains were its main weakness. Following in TCW steps, building on its mistakes, and going a bit more linear should produce something that storytelling wise is amazing.

19. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Yeah, I kinda felt that the microseries/CW depiction of Grievous made him out to be like the friggin' Chuck Norris of the CIS. But if anyone ever deserves to be the Chuck Norris of the PT era, it's only Darth Sidious, and possibly Yoda.

Don't get me wrong, the microseries is great entertainment and well-produced, but I view it as a massive onscreen hyperbole, in lieu of the actual events it is meant to portray.

20. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Come on, CW originally didn't even plan to introduced GG, it was Lucas' request.

Esg likes this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Again, TCW is mainly about the war between the Republic and the CIS, as the commander of CIS, of course GG need to be a powerful foe.

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    TCW was actually about Anakin's journey during the period of The Clone Wars and the characters who were around him. There was much more going on in this period than just clones vs. droids planet after planet which was what the last two seasons covered.

It was really more important to show GG's capacity as a tactician and war planner than to show him killing every Jedi in sight. Which unfortunately was something we saw even less from him since he did kill Nadhar Vebb and had some badass moments in both "Massacre" and the Young Jedi arc but only ever did anything that was a good strategic win directing forces from a bridge in "Heroes on Both Sides".

07jonesj likes this.
  23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, TCW is to show Anakin and many other characters' journey in the Clone Wars, even to Anakin himself, the war is the most important piece. TCW, actually most of the SW EU aren't good at showing military tactics, and it does not contradict with GG being a Jedi killer, it's not he should be one, he is one.

He killed a knight with blasters in around 20 episodes of TCW, killed 5 in 6 episodes of CW.

24. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    But 0 on screen MOVIE kills. they would of had grievous kill shak ti in ROTS were it not for her being left when she was supposed to be taken in the series we would have seen grievous stabbing her in the movie... thats priceless

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Again, in RotS he was a small part, in CW/TCW he's the commander of the major enemy faction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.