main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The mess TCW caused involving Bounty Hunters

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by General Immodet, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    In the movies and several other EU works, the most famous bounty hunters are shown to be mostly working individually and having a grudge against his/hers colleagues.
    A couple of examples:
    -) Boba Fett did sabotage Dengar's ship
    -) Bossk seemed to hate Fett (especially for delivering Solo to Jabba)
    -) IG-88 tried to assassinate Boba Fett
    -) Jango Fett killed Zam Wesell
    -) Sing betrayed Boba Fett
    -) ...

In TCW all bounty hunters seem to be working together as one big happy family.
    Boba Fett works together with Bossk and Dengar and it all seems normal.
    Maybe the writers of TCW try to suggest Fett and all the other bounty hunters on the bridge of the Executor were working together as well. Although Lucas approved of the SOTE project in which Fett has to face off against Bossk and other bounty hunters.

What is your vision on the way TCW and the EU has treated the main bounty hunters?
    Which vision do you like most? Which vision is correct?

TheMandalorian115 likes this.
  2. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Each vision is correct, depending on the point of view of the person.
    Personnally I prefer the version of TCW/movies so for me this version will be correct.
    If you look at things, in TCW Boba-Bossk-Dengar are friends, it's 20 years before ANH so in 20 years things have changed and it's off-screen that Bossk-Boba-Dengar team might have been dissolute.

3. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG] These guys should have been the main Bounty Hunters in my opinion (Cad Bane is one of the few good things from the show.) They would have been competeters, like you said.

4. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    There's nothing saying Boba and Bossk don't develop their rivalry after TCW.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Jango killed Zam because she failed and was liable to tell the Jedi who hired her. Prior to that they were working together with Jango hiring Zam.

They're mercenaries, they'll go wherever the money is. After ESB, Bossk, Dengar, and Boba all seem to be in Jabba's Palace/on the Sailing Barge (Bossk was depicted on the Barge in a behind the scenes photo, but I don't know if continuity treats him as being there or not). So Jabba having various bounty hunters in his employ at a single time is not unusual. Nor is one bounty hunter hiring another (Jango and Zam, Cad and Cato).

Bossk and Boba is the only conspicuous relationship IMO that should be addressed. Bossk seemed very protective of Boba.

Though it also could be nothing personal. Boba does grow up, he no longer needs Bossk, he goes out on his own and makes a name for himself. Boba and Bossk then just happen to answer the same Imperial summons for bounty hunters to track down the Millennium Falcon. It need not be anything personal making them rivals, merely money.

6. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    He can be seen, if looked closely, on the barge.

7. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    People start out as friends and then become enemies. Just look Obi-Wan and Darth Vader.

That said, Boba Fett, Bossk, and Dengar are all chilling together in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi. That tells us they can obviously get along. If anything, The Clone Wars is more in line with the films than the Expanded Universe on this issue. Sure, the bounty hunters went after Han Solo on an individual basis in Episode V, but in Episode VI, they appear to be working together again.

8. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    Dengar is also ready to beat up Luke when Luke breaks into Jabba's palace.

General Immodet likes this.
  9. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    It all comes down to the job. If they are all after the same bounty, it is every man for themselves, but I think the best bounty hunters know when to put that sort of stuff aside when they're off the clock. I loved seeing them chilling in Jabba's Palace, really sold that idea for me, and TCW only strengthened that. I mean, who knows when a job might come around where they need more than one bounty hunter. Don't want to be the one who never gets those jobs because they made enemies with everybody in their profession.

10. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Dengar was in RotJ? I really need to rewatch that movie some time.

11. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Yep, so is Bossk. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TFBFHx0gM8k/S-hbTISY1_I/AAAAAAAAEVE/tmNI035yPcU/s1600/dengarrotj2.jpg

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    It seems from TCW that the Bounty Hunters are Mercenaries most or less. They are sometimes hired in groups for an assignment because the person enlisting them needs a quick army or wants to test drive them like picking the Ford Fusion or a Nissan Altima. Then other times bounty hunters are still hired to steal some dirt or as hitmen.

It also seems like not all bounty hunters are solo leopards. Some of the Bounty Hunters have partners (The dude Bane shot for the hat in 'The Box'). Some bounty hunters work in groups like Boba operates in season 4. Some would have their disposable sidekicks like Jango had Zam in AOTC. Then some like Ventress seemed to be doing in the final arc work alone. Makes since to me. Its a big galaxy. The movies only offer the smallest glimpse into it.

As with most careers things would change over time. Boba has plenty of time to break from working in groups and to develop some nasty feuds with fellow bounty hunters. I think its good that as a kid in TCW he's working with other bounty hunters and gaining experience even as an apparent young leader. Just think of the lessons Ventress learned him when he got way arrogant.

13. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Boba Fett always operated individually. Bossk was part of the bounty hunter guild of his father which was completely destroyed when Fett infiltrated the guild for Xizor.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  14. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    I think its cool that they are allies rather than enemies

15. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    TCW showed us that when he was a kid it was not the case.

16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Hell, so did Attack of the Clones as well.

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Answer to all this - things change. Bounty hunters are only motivated by profiting and as Darth Maul said "they have no allegiance." Clearly they have a falling out.

Seerow likes this.
  18. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    No, Durge should have no part of anything to do with Star Wars... he's a freaking Level Boss for a video game... outrageous character with waaaaaaaaayyyyy over the top abilities. Just a profoundly stupid EU creation only surpassed by Trioculus for sheer ridiculousness.

Yancy

19. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    To b honest I always though those were useless distraction episodes. I didn't give a crap about the bounty hunters. They could have used that time to further develop the events of the Clone Wars.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You wanna know the mess TCW made with bounty hunters? They never actually hunt any ****ing bounties! Besides Ventress, all these "bounty hunters" ever do is mercenary work or assassinations.

I mean really, TCW, it's not that difficult. (see @ 3:41)

21. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Agreed. Durge sucks way too over the top

22. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    This and I shrugged off TCW's use of the term 'bounty hunter' as interchangeable with 'Mercenaries'. I don't really mind occupations in a fictional universe being different than what I generally saw watching Dog the Bounty Hunter.

23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    The bounty hunters were one of the best things about TCW, and they were all handled really well. I thought it was really awesome seeing Boba, Bossk and Dengar working together, and it was pretty cool to know that they were successful bounty hunters for so long. They might not be as bigger enemies of each other as you think, because Dengar was the one who rescued Boba after he escaped from the Sarlacc, so it showed they weren't really enemies.

Maybe as time went on, bounty hunters realised that working alone was better and got them more profit, and since profit is all they're doing it for, they'd do anything to get more of it, even if it included trying to assassinate each other. But of course there would've still been some that worked together, like Zuckuss and 4-LOM.

24. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Those guys were bros. and not just partners :cool:

And I'd like to add that I never thought TCW created such a mess with the bounty hunters; they were handled quite well, with no real big or drastic changes, and we also got to see some new faces as well, like Cad Bane and Embo who are good additions to the SW universe.

I definitely liked that we got to see some of them work together, like ones seen in the movie saga; for example seeing Boba, Bossk and Dengar in a team doesn't really ruin anything, at least for me. I liked to see they interact a bit and fight alongside each other, it sort of adds a bit of a new dimension to them; I'm not too strict about things like these and it was, like I said above, handled quite well.

I've read 'Tales Of The Bounty Hunters' and none of the stuff that happens in TCW with the bounty hunters seen on the Executor (and whom the book is about) really contradicts the stories in the book, at least not much, so I'm ok with that. An example is Dengar, who got his brain impaled on those crystals in an accident during a swoop race with Han Solo; it's pretty easy to buy that he was a bounty hunter before that, as shown in TCW, so it doesn't really ruin anything about the character.

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    QFT.

en_sabah_nur_super.jpg
    Durge reminded me of Marvel's En Sabah Nur, uber-bombad just because. Meh.​

General Immodet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.