main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW Has Ruined the Villians

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garrett Atkins, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Oh come on, are you seriously comparing a 2D cartoon where everything has been made super-fast and overpowered to a live-action film and novels? If the micro-series had been created in the same style as TCW or a live-action film then he wouldn't have moved around as fast, using his foot to wield a lightsaber, etc.

And what I meant by LOE is that it takes precedence over the micro-series, and since it doesn't show Windu Force-crushing Grievous, I'm not sure if it even happened.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It is canon, RotS novel mentioned about that battle.

GG is a knightslayer, simple. Like I said, in RotS he's just a small piece, in TCW it's about the conflict between the Republic and CIS, with Sidious mostly stay behind, Dooku also mostly use others to fight, as the commander of CIS, he should be terrifying.

3. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    The battle is mentioned in LOE too. I think it shows Grievous perfectly. He defeats the Jedi like he should be able to in TCW.

4. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    I'm not saying the Battle of Hypori didn't happen... I was talking about Windu Force-crushing Grievous.

And I know the battle was mentioned in LOE. I was saying that you can't compare Grievous' fighting between the two media's because they're presented very differently.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    LoE and RotS said he could use all 7 forms to attack, his chip could calculate the opponent's move and reply with counterattack, making him a very dangerous foe.

6. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    What has that got to do with what I wrote?

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That's also a lot different than how he fought in the movie.

8. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    If he really outmatched him, he would not die but he died, it is quite paradoxical and curious don't you think ?

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Again I checked, LoE came before CW season 3, so CW season 3 is higher canon.

10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I love TCW, but I do think my least favorite part about the show is the way the CIS is portrayed. I loved Grievous, Ventress, Dooku, Durge, and the other CIS characters/droids alot in previous novels, comics and the microseries.

But TCW definitely has weaker villains in regards to the Separatists. I think Ventress and Dooku are done well(I really wished we got more Dooku before TCW was cancelled! :() But Grievous always being a coward makes me kinda sad, I don't see how he could be the feared commander of the CIS at all as he was portrayed previously.

I did like Admiral Trench and Riff Tamson and thought they were a great image of the fearsome leaders the CIS had and could have, but I think the show could of had more. At times the show seemed to focus more on the story using the CIS as a plot device or joke to progress the story revolving around the main characters.

I think the non-CIS villains are fantastic though, Cad Bane, Boba & Co, Darth Maul, Savage Opress, Deathwatch, etc.

11. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    In this case novel trumps TV. LOE overwrites the micro-series' Battle of Coruscant if there is a conflict.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Both of them are C canon, so the later one is higher canon.

13. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    No it doesn't. LoE takes precedence over the micro-series.

14. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    You are right about Grievous not being a coward. By the way, Dofine was the Captain of the Invinsible Hand, so he should have gone down with it.
    Before JF Kennedy became president his submarine also sank, but he managed to succesfully evacuate it. Politicians made Kennedy look like a hero. No one complained about him not going down with his ship.

15. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    It was a motor torpedo boat, General I. PT-109.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, both of them are C canon, so the later one triumph .

17. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    The events from LOE take precedence. Four Jedi are killed by Grievous quickly, not two over a long chase. Mace Windu and Kit Fisto battle Grievous on the maglev train, an event which is mentioned in the ROTS novel. Reversal of Fortune shows Roron Corobb's body being discovered in a bunker, which is what happened in LOE and not the micro-series. The events from the micro-series were moved around and re-arranged specifically so that they could fit in with LOE, and not the other way round.

LOE came out first, and the Battle of Coruscant from the micro-series was based on events from the novel, but they screwed that up. There was a debate about this on the Wook and the general consensus was that LOE takes precedence, like it rightly should.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Later ones triumph the early ones if they are on the same level of canon, Wook still use the CW version on the page of Battle of Coruscant, Roron and Foul's page also use CW's information instead.

Also the datbank said

19. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    I think the episode Grievous Intrigue showed that Grievous was smart enough to realise Obi-Wan wouldn't come alone so it sorta showed his intelligence. tbh though Grievous was more threatening in ROTS than the TCW as when in faces Obi-Wan on Utapau he loses two hands but he still continues to fight and he easily defeated Obi-Wan in hand to hand combat. In TCW once Grievous lost one of his hands against Ventress he decided to call on his troops and he got defeated by Gungans...

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The last few episodes of CW were based on an earlier draft of LoE, so LoE takes precedent.

K'Kruhk likes this.
  21. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I will admit that villains like Grievous and Gunray and Tambor were watered down to just pawns, even if they were very calculating and smart themselves in the comics.
    In the show, they were kinda made into fools that need Sidious's guiding hand to lead them. That is what bothered me.

And I DID get mad every time Grievous was made to lose in the most shameful ways possible and be given a win for 4 seasons.

But if we ignore the EU and only have to talk about THE villains in general in the show in relevance to the movies, they were most up to par with the OT villains.

I know I will get a lot of flack for this, but Riff Tamson was just as developed and acted the same way as Tarkin (when we first saw him, without the BS that the EU gave to Tarkin). TCW in terms of new villains, followed very closely to the rules of the movies.

Ignoring stuff from the EU... cause much of it was making up for mistakes made by the OT movies. Like the Boba Fett craziness. Without the wacky fanboy fanfictions of the EU about Fett and going only by what he did in the movies, Cad Bane destroys him totally in every way as a character.

I mean even Fett himself in context with only the movies had a better development in the show.

So all in all, yes... TCW did downplay the awesomeness of many CIS villains... but when it went off to make its own villains like Trench and Tamson and Bane - these guys are just as good and even better than majority of anything the OT calls "Villains".

QuangoFett and InterestingLurker like this.
  22. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    I'll say it again: no it doesn't. That only happened with the films. LoE came out first, and the micro-series was based on a draft from the novel. It screwed up, and it's their fault. Did you even bother reading my previous post? In the past you used the argument of Grievous killing four Jedi quickly to suit you, now you're saying it's not canon to suit another of your debates.

The Wook tries to contain everything possible that is canon, as it also mentions the events of LoE. Maybe someone hasn't gotten around to including all the info yet, so the Wook isn't a very reliable source.

It doesn't say that on the databank. Even if it did, it doesn't say how his lungs were ravaged. For all we know it could have been when when Windu threw a STAP at him in the Battle of Boz Pity.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm saying if we want to argue about which one is canon, then it should be the later one, both G canon and C canon use the same logic.

24. TheMandalorian115

TheMandalorian115 Jedi Padawan

Mar 7, 2013
    Mace: He completely agrees with him in TCW, YET hates him in ROTS.

Garrett Atkins likes this.
  25. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I know in R2 Come Home Mace was quite against Anakin's affection towards R2.
    In To Catch a Jedi he was against Anakin going to look for Ahsoka.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.