main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Revisiting the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pimpsy, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Not really, just saying that you are attributing opinions to me that I have not given in this thread.
    I don''t think the OT is without flaws but the ones you have brought up and not very serious or indeed flaws at all.
    For the record, I think both the PT and OT has flaws but I favour the OT because I like the characters more, simple as that.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface[/quote]

1. those were only machines that caused a chain reaction with the reactor (ala ANH) that took out the whole ship, again the Naboo pilots had know idea of how the TF ship is constructed and take advantage of weak spots or design flaws like with the Death Star, this is the fatal flaw in your argument. The film shows the Naboo trying to bomb the antennas to knock ot the droid control. It has been show shields only protect for so long before they fail like with the MF, the droid control ship's shield may have failed after a prolonged fighter attack but it may takjen to long. They would have no idea how far any explosions set off in the hangers could spread though the rest of the ship. The film show the hangers are in separated sections with large doors that can close sections off and contain fires and explosions. They blew up a Republic ship much larger than a fighter near the start of the film with no apparent damage to the hanger. As Anakin shows,they would have to fly all the way to the rear most hanger section, and fire into the machinery area set deep into the back most wall, yet they process no knowledge this could be done yet alone how to do it. If they only blow up the outer hanger sections, the TF can just contain them and continue operating the droids. Just like the Death Star, you must hit the weak spot, only the Naboo didn't know of it, while the Rebel did. By your logic, the Rebels should have flown into the Death Star's hangers and dropped bombs in them to knock it out.

2. Only Death Star 2 is protected, not the bunker or generator itself. The Rebel's Hoth Generator was a set of coils to protect the base, while the Imperal generator was a dish to project a shield around the Death Star. Iron Load's picture clearly shows this.

3. X-Wings are too high speed to attack ground tanks and walkers. The Army uses Warthogs and Helicopters to attack tanks, not F16s which bomb bunkers and attack other jet fighters.

4. How so?, the racers were trying to make each other crash, which would have a high chance of being killed, and Sandpeople taking pop shots at them, alot closer to a warzone than Luke was ever exposed to until he left Tatootine. Drummer boys were killed in battle, some died in an act of self-sacrifice many were caught in artillery fire. They fell out of favor during the 19th century. Culture bak then viewed children differentally than our modern culture, the Jedi may think that way, which has nothing to do with nukes, I don't even know where you got that from.They did use some airstrikes, but they wanted to capture the CIS so they would not escape.

Again it is your opinion they are minor flaws, most of what I stated are serious flaws but you can choose to ignore them, but why nit pick the same ones in the PT but ignore them in the OT? Makes no sense to me. Again you are pushing for double standards.

2. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    That circle would be the projecter dish, not even the whole base.

3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Looking at the D2 in ROTJ, its big. And relatively speaking as big as the first, which is the size of a small moon. So this makes Endor a fairly large moon in a galactic scale. So the area around the generator itself is large. End of question. Next.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We know that Shuttle Tydirum had to pass through at least one shield to land (hence the request to deactivate it so they could).

I'm OK with the notion that there are two shields, but I could see the argument that there is one shield protecting the Death Star + its own generator + everything for a short distance around it, being valid as well.

The movie doesn't really tell us which it is.

Careful scaling of the Falcon to the first Death Star's trench, produces a diameter on the order of 120-160 km.

Scaling for the DS2, however, is extremely inconsistant- some people have gotten 160 km, some 900.

The 900 km Death Star would make that circle over 50 km wide if to scale.
    The 160 km Death Star would make that circle more like 10 km wide.

5. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Endor is the size of the Earth, how big do you think that would be compared to the whole of the Earth?
    It would mean the dish is hundreds of km wide.
    In any event the movie has Han ask the imperials to LOWER the deflector shield in order to land, so your point is disproven. The generator is protected by the shield so therfore the rebels can't bomb it, case closed.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    What source tells you that Endor is the size of the Earth?

7. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    First, how do you know that the Naboo people have no idea how those TF ships look like on the inside? They had some idea how strong the shields were so they must know something. Those TF ships were apparently their common ship as we see them quite often. The DS was a special project.
    Second, the blowing up of the republic ship did not cause a big explosion. But detonate a couple 1 MT nukes inside the TF ship and you get far bigger results.
    Third, the Naboo wanted to destroy or damage the TF ship, shooting of weapons INSIDE the ship will do that, so again no reason not to try it. Esp if you are worried that your weapons might not do enough damage from the outside. Sedning one fighter inside would be no big loss and could do lots of damage.
    Fourth, the DS hangar were shielded so it might not be possible to fly into them. Second, the DS is the size of a moon, the TF ship is far smaller so a similar size explosion would do little to the DS while it would serioulsy damage the TF ship. A 10 kT nuke would do lost of damage to a city but to a whole planet, the damage is far smaller.

See previous post

Evidence for this? X-Wings are capable of flying at different speeds. Those AT-AT's are not very mobile so targetting them would not be hard.

Really, so being in the Paris-Dakar rally is the same as being in WW2?
    Also, Qui-Gon knew there was a risk but he needed Anakin to win in order to get what he wanted. On Naboo he risks Anakins life for no reason.
    You made a comparsion with the US army, I just happen to think that they are not really a good comparison with the Jedi. The Jedi perhaps wanted to capture Dooku, the rest of the CIS they were apparently happy to blow to bits. And Dooku, the priority was that he not escape so it is quite possible that they wanted him dead as well. So an air-strike would make sense but for some reason they don't use it.

[/QUOTE]

First, I have given counters to the flaws you have mentioned so far and thus I don't consider them serious. Second, as I said, I prefer the OT due to the characters, not the flaws.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

8. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    Since gravity looks to be about the same strength as here on Earth the size would be similar.
    If it was the size of Mars, then gravity would be about a third of here so objects would fall slower etc.
    If it was the size of the moon then the difference would be even bigger, plus it would not have an atmosphere.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    High density small planets will have a higher gravity than small planets the same density as Earth or less.

Mars is quite a bit less dense than Earth.

The Moon is even less dense than that.

It would have to be very dense to be as small as the EU says it is and still support life- but that density is still well within the bounds of possibility.

http://www.astrobio.net/pressrelease/2476/all-planets-possible

And, filming limitations probably preclude "showing things falling more slowly".