main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The Killer
    John Woo, Yun-Fat Chow

Gun action cinematography. Can't think of any movie that does it better.

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Please elaborate.

3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    A few days ago, I noticed on my cable's OnDemand they had the Bo Derek softcore flick Bolero up on there, so I decided to watch it, but could only stand to watch a half-hour or so of it. John Derek sure had no problem with the world seeing his wife in the buff, but he could be so dull and arty.

Oh yeah, another reason to stay away from this movie: A fifteen-year-old Olivia D'Abo has a full frontal nude scene in this movie. So yeah. Just throwing that out there. Don't watch this movie unless you want to be creeped out and feel like having Chris Hansen telling you to take a seat over there for a moment.

Though, I was able to MST3K it with a line from an recent episode of Archer: "What is this, Spain in the 1930s?".

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dark Shadows, Depp version. It started out well enough but went all over the place as it progressed.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Double post oops.

6. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    The Dark Knight. Even better than Batman Begins!

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It completely fell apart during the last 20 minutes.

8. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Les Miserables (2012 version) I've listened to the music before,because two guys at my work were in a production of it and they would always sing One Day More while washing dishes.I really enjoyed it.Normally movies don't make me cry,but I cried at least three times during the movie.I received the movie as a present because I'm a musical nut and this is one that will wear out from many viewings.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Evil Dead (remake)- A remake obviously made with a lot of care towards what it was doing. Though it doesn't quite succeed in overcoming the cliches it's progenitor established (not to mention having to deal with the post-Cabin in the Woods world we all live in), it does manage a few nice twists on the audiences expectations as well as giving the characters a good reason to be there (and one that actually enhances/plays off of the situation they ultimately find themselves in. It's refreshing that its not just teens out to party, etc) while also ratcheting up the gore and assault on the senses.

Also, kudos for going the all-practical effects route as well.

The score is a mixed bag- on one hand, the main title "theme" blast is distracting and corny. On the other hand, the gradual build towards the air raid siren theme during the actual film is extremely effective and probably one of the more memorable aspects of the film.

The only two things that really didn't work with the film were the blonde (who is just cannon fodder, as Boba said in his review) and the "professor" character who just didn't seem to have the same chemistry with the rest of the cast (that said, I think Boba's comment on his lack of emotive reactions to reading the book is missing the mark- he's just checking out a book out of academic curiosity, there's no reason he should be scared or otherwise freaking out).

Anyways, stay after the credits for a fun stinger.

All in all I wouldn't call it must see in theaters, but it's worth a look at some point.

Looking forward to Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness 2 and the proposed crossover between the two series.

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I thought I was pretty clear in my post but the film argues that water boarding and torture were necessary and that they helped catch Bin Laden. The problem is the facts do not back this thesis up and thus Bieglow is rewriting history.

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) - I've enjoyed watching WB recent string of animated Batman films so much I decided to go back and re-watch the highly regarded MotP for the first time in nearly 20 years. Obviously this one is tonally much different than more adult oriented, PG-13 rated stuff they've been churning out of late, but it's still much darker and more sophisticated than I remembered. I loved the retro-noir look, and just as things were starting to flag a bit here comes the great Mark Hamill as The Joker to breath new life into it. The basic story is a bit weak for a feature length film and the twist stretches credibility a smidge, but overall it's sharp and well written. Definitely worth a look or re-look for Batman fans. - 7/10

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    You know what I love about it? The musical score. It's probably the best music written for a Batman movie

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It was probably the best Batman film ever made until Batman Begins. That's right. It's better than the Burton films too.

14. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Double feature last night

Iron Monkey
    &
    Fist of Legend

Lots of martial arts action. Monkey is more over the top action. Fist is clearly the main influence in the action cinematography of The Matrix. BTW I've seen both of these before and still enjoy them.

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Silver Linings Playbook. Very well done film with solid acting all around. Jennifer Lawrence being beautiful doesn't hurt either.

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I haven't seen Iron Monkey in years, but Fist of Legend I've seen many times - it's definitely one of the better martial arts films, to my mind at least. It helps that it doesn't indulge in too much slapstick comedy which the Chinese tend to love but just isn't my thing.

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    It is quite good. The end credits song by the lovely Tia Carrere on the other hand *Shivers*...

I'd rank it above all of the pre-Nolan films save Batman '89.

I hear the animated follow-up Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero is also good, and I have it on my "To watch" list.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Batman '89 was very good in spite of Jack being Jack.

19. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Batman 89 is still one of my favorite films. Sure it's not about Batman, but it's still a great pop corn flick. It's also a pure Batman film that reflects the darker Batman tales of the time. Gotham City was perfectly represented. Batmans toys and vehicles are still Awesome. Jacks Joker was great no matter what people say. It's just a good hero vs villain flick. It's pure comic book and I love it. I personally love that it skipped the origin, and started with him already as Batman with only using flashbacks for backstory. And Keaton was a great Batman, maybe not the best Bruce Wayne, but a great Batman. With Nolans films we got the deeper side to the story, and I'm happy we did, but I'll never diss 89 for anything.

I own the Blu Ray now, but I loved my VHS tape. I used to love to cut the lights off and watch this when I was a kid. And never once did I skip these two promos, they were as much apart of the movie as the movie itself.

Wish they have been included on the Blu Ray.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Man, I remember that Alfred commercial like it was yesterday. Great stuff, thank you.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Holy crap I totally remember those.

As far as the animated movies go- Mask of the Phantasm was quite good. The Director's Cut of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker still takes the top slot, IMO. Sub-Zero wasn't bad, but it's held back by the fact that the actual Mr. Freeze episodes it's a follow-up to are arguably way better.

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    The Alfred Diet Coke commercial has got to be my all time favorite commerical. Don't know why, but boy it definitly take me back.

Anyway, if you remember that, do you remember this?

or this

heels1785 likes this.
  23. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    They played this Batman Forever commercial about a million times that summer.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This is awesome. Batman Forever one is great. Is that Goldberg from Mighty Ducks playing catcher in the second Pizza Hut one?

25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.