main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Variety: "There will be at least one Star Wars movie a year"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Every year? I'm surprised!

2. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    This just goes to show that some Star Wars fans would watch any old rubbish. You'd be happy with a movie about some random Dug. I wouldn't be.

"D'ya git me fam?" Can anybody translate that for me?

3. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    A new Star Wars movie every year? No thanks. I love Star Wars but having a new movie every year would get old. Look at the CoD series. A new game every year and the games get old. I would like a new Star Wars film every 2-3 years. That way we acutally have more time to talk about them and the next ones to be released.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I cannot wait to fill in the gaps in my collection:

TINKER BELL
    TINKER BELL AND THE LOST TREASURE
    TINKER BELL AND THE GREAT FAIRY RESCUE
    TINKER BELL AND BOBA FETT
    TINKER BELL AND THE PIXIE HOLLOW GAMES
    TINKER BELL AND THE SECRET OF THE WINGS
    TINKER BELL AND HAN SOLO
    TINKER BELL AND THE PIRATE FAIRY

5. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012

Lots are anti Yoda movie, but Yoda was like 300 years old when we saw him, maybe at the age of 25 he will be taller, more human like and more bad-a$$ then ever... just a thought, the Yoda we see in a spinoff may not be the same one from the movies... Could be awesome

6. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Agree - Once TPM came out and we met Jar, Jar - Star Wars changed forever... At this point, the more the merrier... I am confident it will be quality from Disney

7. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    If there are going to be spinoff movies in between Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, it might be best if those spinoffs tie in with the ST somehow. For example, after Episode VII, there could be a spinoff that gives us the origin of a new major character who will appear in Episode VIII. I think it would've been cool if there had been a spinoff movie showing Jango Fett's origin or Count Dooku's origin before Episode II came out. I think this is the way the upcoming spinoff films should be handled; they should tie in with the ST films, although they don't necessarily have to take place during the ST time period.

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    What I see Disney trying to do is what Marvel is doing with their epic Marvel Cinematic Universe, have a series of films with different characters but all taking place in the same universe. At this point though, one Star Wars film a year...sounds like overkill!

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    You must unlearn what you have learned.

Star Wars currently has >17,000 characters (likely a few thousand more soon enough), spanning over a thousand named worlds (1.3 million systems in 21 BBY), spanning over 25,000 years. I think there is more than enough locations and time periods there for a movie a year, especially if they go beyond the 3 trilogies time frame, to keep the movies anyways being fresh.

The real question is how will the writting staff keep it fresh and in continuity. Star Trek kept itself fresh by jumping time periods, Doctor Who by changing the cast contantly, Stargate by changing the enemy, etc... Star Wars can potentially do all these things and best yet has an EU to be studied for its successes and failures.

A movie a year actually isnt that bad of overkill, the real issue is keeping the public interest and getting them invested beyond the episodes but in the spinoff movies too. Being bold with the plot, choosing the right characters, and minimizing just rehashing old series tropes and jokes go a long way here. Plus when you think about it a movie a year ammounts to two hours a year, Marvel's been very successful here with more than that and with characters like Thor (who most people prior to the Avengers never knew of) and Captain America who was concidered bland and boring/old school vs other Marvel characters... face it the pre Avengers movie fandom of those two was small vs say Boba Fett, Han Solo, Yoda, or Obi-wan (all rumored spinoff movie stars).

10. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    A little sneak preview of what we might be in store for, here is Marvel's schedule through 2015, 3 movies in 2013, 4 in 2014, 3 in 2015:
    [​IMG]

Veloz and Ryus like this.
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I can't bloody wait for Guardians of the Galaxy.

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Minus, not all of those being Disney.... yes, that could be what we're in store for within the next 5-6ish years once the ball really starts rolling beyond preproduction and the first few movies.

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If that's to be the case with Star Wars? My god they're gonna milk that cow for every penny!

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    We will tell our grandkids of the days when SW movies were years apart and SW series sets were decades apart. The lack of SW was even worse than the walk to school every day, uphill and barefoot in the snow. Grandkids will roll their eyes, "Yeah, whatever grandpa" :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think this is awesome. I'd love to see a variety of big-budget SW movies; 1-3 a year would rule.

15. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    First off, this just goes to show nothing. Secondly, don't tell me what I'd be happy watching, you have no idea.

Now to the actual conversation. I used the Dug as an example of a background character that no one has any idea how interesting his life may be. An example (You do know what an example is don't you?). You really should pay more attention to the penultimate sentence; "And that's just 2 characters from a 2 second clip in 1 of the films." Remember, someone you think may be boring and have no story to tell, may not actually be that way. You don't know, and nor do I.

So until you can come up with an actual reason why any of these seen but relatively unknown characters don't deserve their story told please refrain from your silly little digs and try to contribute in a more positive way. When you can I'd be more than happy to have a decent debate on why my train of thought is incorrect.

"D'ya git me fam?" is English slang for "Do you understand me mate?" - which you clearly didn't

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Do not want. Just because it may work for Marvel does not necessarily mean it will work for SW. I don't think SW should change enough for it to fit that "cinematic universe" model that works for Marvel.

I guess I'm still used to the concept of SW films only coming out every few years when we're in the middle of a trilogy, and I feel like a SW movie release should be an event... if they come out every year (or even more often that that) it could dilute that experience.

Dranem and Jcuk like this.
  17. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree with a lot of what you say. For me the hardest thing to do will be coming to terms with the fact that there will inevitably be some poor films (outside of the numbered entries) that just don't click with me. I can handle every other Marvel film being good and only the main Avengers movies being top notch, but I'm not sure how I feel about that as it relates to Star Wars. I remember that grueling 16 year wait between the trilogies and then how the time crawled between episodes I - III. I love the speculation, spoilers, and slow news leaks but I suppose having more "filler" will make the wait seem less. Still sad to see the end of an era.

This makes me wonder if now Episodes I-VI and their era will be looked on with more of a nostalgia factor now that we seem to be on the precipice of a deluge of Star Wars films? I know I treasure the years 1980 - 2005 a little more now with all this news coming out. I'd just be happy with a sequel trilogy, but maybe the new movies and offshoots will surprise me. I'd like to see some of them be experimental though and stray from the Star Wars formula.

StoneRiver likes this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I would concede that with the sheer volume of SW movies coming, there are bound to be better and worse ones. Nonetheless, SW has a much better formula for movie quality than Marvel; that is comic material, not live action (yes, some Marvel movies are good, but this is the general state of affairs). There is more potential for consistent good movies with SW, and less hit and miss.

I know that waiting, leaks, spoilers, etc. have become a way of life for SW fans, and I know change is hard for most and inevitably brings negativity and anxiety. But I think this change will end up making most people happy. There will still be waiting, speculation, leaks, etc., we just won't grow old waiting to get a real answer. Personally, I thought it sucked having to wait all of those years.

It all comes down to quality; if they make consistent good/great product, all concerns will be meaningless. I am optimistic given the steps they have taken (and the people they have hired) so far for Episode 7. SW needs to always have the best of the best.

Ryus and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  19. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Me either, other than Avengers 2, Guardians is my most anticipated movie on that list.

20. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Good points, but Marvel has just as rich of a mythology and draws from the same types of archetypes that Star Wars does in many ways. Lets just say I am cautiously optimistic at this point. I think back to October (?) when I initially heard the news of Episode VII and I immediately went into "Star Wars" mode. I began daydreaming about the plot and eagerly awaiting the cast announcement, set leaks, etc. that made 1997-2005 so much fun. I guess my big issue is that one film a year will be an embarrassment of riches for Star Wars fans and make it hard to focus. Could be cool, though.

21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Star Wars destroys both of them in my eyes in anticipation :)

22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Wasnt a Spider-Man reboot a tad too soon? The Raimi ones were fine in my book

23. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I think one movie every 2-3 years is a better pace, but I'm not going to complain about getting more Star Wars movies.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I would agree, and Marvel is older. All I was saying is Marvel was adapted for movies, while SW was made for movies (fact), I think it is more of a stretch to make Marvel good on the big screen (my opinion).

I am hopeful of getting some really "outside the box," more adult-type SW movies/shows, kind of like the way the Underworld was being described

Ryus and Jcuk like this.
  25. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Are you thinking that Yoda is actually Benjamin Button?

As for a potential annual release, if the quality isn't downgraded I don't see an issue. Just as long as they are released on May 4th. We saw the Holiday Special, Ewok films, Droids cartoon and Ewok cartoon in the 80's, so don't tell me Disney will attempt to milk the franchise any more than what has already been done.

Ryus and Darth_Quintonis like this.