main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Last Jedi by Michael Reaves

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

Hoth never even turned his gaze, but merely cast out with the Force, imprisoning her in a stasis field. - Path of Destruction

Bane was suddenly encased in a shimmering stasis field of light-side energy, freezing him where he stood. - Rule of Two

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Anyone else think it was funny Jax chose Corran Vigil as his alias? Corran must be pretty common on Corellia. I mean, we already know Jax is common. Anyway, I thought that was a cool little detail.

3. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012

I thought it was a technological stasis field generated and coordinated by Vader's and the other vessels, which Laranth disrupted (and led to her own death) by firing into Vader's docking bay.

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This was a pretty good book chock full of good force powers.

5. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    Finished this a few days ago & I was quite pleased. The final battle was pretty cool.

6. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    I just saw the paperback edition of Last Jedi at Barnes and Noble this weekend on Saturday. I'll pass. Dark Lord Rise of Darth Vader already had a storyline like t his one where Vader was going after some leftover Jedi on Kasshyyk. What makes Last Jedi any different that Dark Lord Rise of Darth Vader novel?

7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002

The only difference is that they are completely different stories that are not even remotely similar in any way. And I thoroughly enjoyed both (although I am not finished ed with The Last Jedi yet).

Pass on it if you like, but not because of an erroneous belief that it is like Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

Pax Bandica likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Vastly different. Vader's the central focus of Dark Lord, he isn't in the Last Jedi which is far more an ensemble affair, with an adventure-story. Dark Lord certainly isn't that.

Pax Bandica and DarthStymi like this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I didn't care for Dark Lord that much but I did like Last Jedi.

Pax Bandica and DarthStymi like this.
  10. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Errr...he actually is in The Last Jedi, though not as a main character.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's one reading, but try the whole sentence and you'll find it's saying exactly what you just posted DS! ;)

DarthStymi likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I can see where Stymi is coming from, though. Awkward wording, is all.

But yeah, Vader isn't going after leftover Jedi, he's trying to undermine the various rebellion movements springing up shortly after the rise of the Empire.

Thematically and structurally speaking, The Last Jedi and Dark Lord are nothing alike.

DarthStymi likes this.
  13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Awkward wording and improper punctuation, which can change the whole meaning of a sentence.

Compare:
    Panda: eats shoots and leaves.
    Panda: eats, shoots, and leaves.

You have a run-on in the sentence in your most recent post, by the way (among other errors).

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You're going to have to get used to it DS! :)

Quite seriously, due to how my head's wired, I tend to be blind to grammatical subtleties!

DarthStymi likes this.
  15. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    You're kind of twisting my words around, fellas. Im just saying that Last Jedi reminds me too much of Dark Lord Rise of Darth Vader. Stories are similar in some ways. Jedi are on the run due to Vader and Order 66. I hope these jedi in The Last Jedi arent running to Kasshyyk again. Its already been doing in Dark Lord Rise of Darth vader and even Starkiller's father in Force Unleashed.

16. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    No it's Toprawa and Mandalore Jax mainly visits.

17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    How do you know they're similar without having read The Last Jedi? As has been mentioned, they are not alike. I've read both books. There's no Jedi "on the run". Order 66 is already a relatively distant memory as well. It's at the point where Jedi are less on the run and more just living life, being careful about revealing their presences.

Not twisting your words, just saying it as it is. You said you thought the storyline to Last Jedi was similar to that in Dark Lord. Then you asked what makes these books different. That's all people are responding to.

Pax Bandica likes this.
  18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Even if the premises are similar--which is not the case even remotely with Last Jedi and Dark Lord--two books can in fact have similar premises and still be very different.

I can't stress enough how different the two stories are. Except that Vader is in it, and he IS searching for a Jedi. The same was true for TESB and ROTJ, but those stories are also very different from both The Last Jedi and Dark Lord.

I find it odd to make a judgement about a book based on a blurb and then to defend that judgement...based on a blub. But in thinking about it, I have to concede people do it all the time.

But to take it a step further, and using the same logic, why even bother to read more Star Wars books at all? They are all just about Jedi using the Force to defeat the bad guys. Read THAT one already.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm reading this book right now. It feels like being mentally ill. It's not bad so far, but it has a really weird, disorienting quality where things seem to just kind of happen without making sense, and nothing has a nailed-down reality. Laranth's death comes out of nowhere, and the battle exists in a weird quantum state that can't decide if Vader's ships are cruisers or fighters or something else all at once . . . it feels like Denning's inability to visualize his own action scenes, but metastasized into this weird incoherent uncertainty about everything. It's like the quantum timeline uncertainty is eating he whole book.

20. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    Reading it right now, too. well, started like 10 days ago and still haven't made it past chapter 5. For me, Reaves (and his co-writers) have degressed over the years. I really liked the Medstar-duology, liked SOTE but those Corruscant Night-novels just don't pull me in. I even started to digitalize my wife's (comprehensive) CD-collection to have an excuse to NOT go on reading [face_skull]

21. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Does anyone know when the review for the book will be posted on TFN?

22. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I'm also reading it right now, and (On page 134) so far it's a drop in quality from the previous novels in the trilogy. Not sure where this book's going at the moment.

23. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    Interesting way of putting it. I just found it the opening stuff a bit confusing as well, especially when Vader's ships arrived for the first big battle, but for me the passage that really stood out in that regard was the climax. Other than those two sections, though, I didn't notice anything odd, and just attributed them to a rush to get to the meat of the story and/or bad action writing. Good comparison to Denning, as he's another SW author who leaves me questioning what exactly is going on in his action stuff, although I think he doesn't mean to be so ambiguous, but I got the sense that perhaps Reaves might have been trying to do something that felt a bit odd.

24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I've only read one Denning book, Tatooine Ghost, but even from that I'd wholheartedly agree that his action scenes are clunky. To this day I have no idea how Thrawn got Chewbacca off of him.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Artistically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.