main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Let the Dueling begin

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by WookieeJedi, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Jonathan Xavier Jones Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2012
    Will do, thank you very much!

quigonschuel likes this.
  2. quigonschuel

quigonschuel Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2011
    You're most welcome! Looking forward to meeting you!

3. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    Jonathan,

First, welcome to the boards. I hope to see you posting more and allowing us to come to know you a little better. This place is pretty exciting and the North Ridge has a lot to offer in terms of activities, fellowship, fun and games, as well as the charity work that we do. There really isn't anything better than seeing the smiles that we can bring to the faces of people - young and old - simply by sharing something that we all truly enjoy ourselves.

As far as dueling with us, I'm not going to discourage that, but I would prefer to have the chance of meeting with you at one of our gatherings first. We have been holding gatherings, many of which are held at a public space such as a restaurant or a public meeting room. That would be a perfect venue to come join us, introduce yourself to the group, and allow us to get to know you. Swinging lightsabers at each other takes a level of trust, and that trust is built on our relationship with each other.

Generally, our dueling had been focused around the Star Wars Night in June, and was rehearsed between March and June. Over this past year, we kept rehearsals going, putting things to more of a schedule in recent months, and using the time to come up with choreography ideas that will be used at events. The past couple rehearsals have been a little more focused and starting this week will become even more focused on the SWN event in June, so the participation will be more directly geared to the cast specifically working on that show.

After June, we'll continue with general practices and that may be an ideal time to join in.

4. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Jonathan Xavier Jones Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2012
    Sounds awesome! I will defiantly be looking forward to June and continue to post on the forums. Cannot wait to see what you have planned for the SWN event

5. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    Great night of dueling.....and conditioning (running laps) with Jon. Also came up with some sweet moves/exchanges/duels

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  6. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Go ahead, rub it in.

7. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Need to get my butt in gear and get back to a workout schedule. We started incorporating laps around the church as part of the workout - anything to build up stamina. I'm not a runner at all, never was. So this is something that I personally need to work on and something that I think we can incorporate into our training.

8. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Another thing to consider as part of the training is to do partner work taking turns attacking with the "Advanced 10" As with any martial arts, drilling basics is good for not only developing form but also for improving physical stamina and getting a good sweat going. :)

72Princess and JDuffPhoto like this.
  9. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
  10. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Now that SWN 2013 is completed and we've had almost a month to recuperate, I was hoping we could resume dueling conditioning and training as well as getting the Padawan Training curriculum ready to screen candidates in the Fall.

Are Tuesday nights at 7pm still good? At your place, Jon, or since the weather is good, maybe Bassett? I don't care so much about the where as the when. Given where our curriculum was going in April I guess participants should be prepared to run some laps as well as some other calisthenics in addition to drilling on the "Basic Five", "Advance Ten" and the "Duelist Salute"

quigonschuel likes this.
  11. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
  12. WookieeJedi

Jun 15, 2009
    You know I'm in

13. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    Very much interested!

14. WookieeJedi

Jun 15, 2009
    I even like the running and getting in shape part and can put together some exercises or workouts from my coaching days

quigonschuel likes this.
  15. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Please do! I know I could use some slimming as well as running conditioning.

I am out of town this coming week so I am out for this Tuesday. So, I will plan on joining you for Jedi training on July 23rd.

16. RingoStarrkiller

RingoStarrkiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm interested.

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  17. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    But, of course! We have airconditioning too! We could run around the halls in the church for some cardio as well. I was speaking with Antoine about the Padawan training and he mentioned that his kids would be interested. So, are we on for next week Tuesday?

18. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Yes! Next week Tuesday! 7pm. Jon's church.

We can talk about the Padawan academy then

19. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    See you then! Christopher is interested in the Padawan Training Academy as well.

20. WookieeJedi

Jun 15, 2009
    so is everything still a go for dueling tomorrow at 7pm jon's church???

21. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    AFAIK we're still on. I was going to confirm with Jon, but did not get a chance.

22. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Consider it confirmed. See you all at 7pm tomorrow.

quigonschuel likes this.
  23. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    See you tonight!

24. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Good workout last night!!! Glad to be back on schedule.

quigonschuel and Wild Sidewalker like this.
  25. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Very productive session! I liked the addition of the jog particularly considering how much running seems to be a feature of our live show at Bisons Star Wars night.

quigonschuel likes this.