main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Watching the Star Wars Saga Eps I-VI for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Articulate, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    Not really the thread for this discussion, but I'll see if I can't tackle this one. First, even when someone does something "inexplicably evil", there is almost always someone else who loves that person no matter what! It is indeed how people react when their loved ones go on a rampage. Haven't you ever watched the news, or interviews after someone is taken down by the law for an awful crime? It's usually, "He was such a good person! I can't believe he would do this!" As for Padme's thoughts on Anakin, his motives were good, they had just been corrupted by Palpatine. The idea that UNLIMITED POWAH was the only way to save others went to his head when he feared that Padme was going to die. Padme was also too close to Anakin to see him for how evil he really was. Ever talked to a woman after her boyfriend/husband just put his hands on her? Their answer is usually, "It was my fault. I shouldn't have [whatever pissed him off]." It's as I keep typing, they had a very unhealthy codependent relationship.

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    All right, settle down - this is getting off-topic and a bit more heated than it should.

Back to accounts of taking people's SW virginity.

3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    My new girlfriend is a Star Wars virgin who is eager to see it. I'm giving her the I-II-III-IV-V-VI way, much to the chagrin of her other Star Wars fans friends :D (Who apparently told her she was crazy when she said she wanted to start with #1 )

I'll be posting results when it happens, should be fun!

4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    :eek: Imagine that!?!? Doing it........the way it was meant to be done......in actual, simple order! ooooooOOOOOOooooOOOOooooooo........how bizarre!

Oh I know.

Imagine that?!?! Watching it......the way the creator spent his whole career working to get people to watch it in??? What madness hu?

/end sarcasm/

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Seagoat like this.
  5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Eh, I've been inspired.

My father has never seen SW, so next week we've agreed to watch one movie a day! And of course, we're going in order, with the blu-ray copies. Should be a blast, I'll post what he thinks of each movie!

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Hopefully you made her see it the right way.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    A Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith
    A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

In that order!

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Well yes! She is very excited about it.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Alright so I've showed my dad the prequel trilogy so far and it definitely seems to have hooked his interest. This week, we'll finish up the saga then I'll write his thoughts on each movie!

10. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Doing it again! Just showed my girlfriend (she is 31) her first Star Wars film: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. I have NOT revealed anything to her, nor have I guided her opinions. Other than telling her she should see them I-VI, she has no outside imput from me. The reactions as follows:

When the hooded Jedi walk into the room, she says "Those are the Jedi, right?" (debunks people saying nobody can figure out who they are.)
    When the hoods come off, "That's Liam Neeson! I love Liam Neeson!"
    When the ship blows up and the Jedi draw the sabers for the first time "Oh I want one of those!"
    When the Jedi slaughter the droids. "Oh this is great, they are so cool!"
    First seeing Jar Jar in a crowd of animals "What the hell is that."
    Jar Jar has the conversation with Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan, "He's so funny" (remember, she is 31 - not a kid!) She pretty much went on to laugh at all of Jar Jar's antics throughout the film. When I asked he about halfway through if she thought he was annoying, she said "No! He super cute and funny.", and started using the word "Stinkowiff" in conversation.
    See's the Gungan city "Whoa, that's awesome."
    Boss Nass starts talking, "Can you turn on the subtitles"
    Gasped every time there was a bigger Gooberfish and laughed at Jar Jar's panicking.
    See's the sweeping shot of Naboo "Wow"(said that on all Naboo wide shots)
    At about this point and every 15 mins or so she would exclaim "I'm really enjoying this movie". (she considers me a total nerd - she's right of course - which is why she's slightly surprised how much she likes it. Though duh, Star Wars! :) )
    Recognized R2-D2
    Said "Scary" when Maul is talking with Sideous
    Meets Ani, "He's adorable" Said "awww" at "I'm a PERSON and my name is Anakin" & "Yippee".
    Qui-Gon trying to convince Watto to take republic credits "He's so arrogant, oh wait, he's using the Jedi mind trick"
    Anakin showing Padme C3PO and talking about how good at building he is "Oh, he's totally hitting on her"
    Anakin offering to race to get the money for Qui-Gon "He's so beautiful and selfless"
    Anakin lecturing his mom about helping people "Haha, she just realized her son is smarter than she is."
    Anakin racing "Such a little badass" (said the same thing when he blows up the Trade Federation ship)
    Surprisingly HATED Yoda. Both because of his voice (to which I responded in Yoda voice "Get used to it, you must. In five films, this character is." - she then hit me), Because she said he & Mace Windu are really mean to little Ani, who she now adores.
    Said "Oh my god, he's terrifying" when Darth Maul removes his hood and shows his horns for the first time.
    Said "so impressive" during the Duel.
    Kept laughing when Jar Jar jumps around with a battle droid on his foot and kills a bunch more.
    Gasped & covered her mouth when Qui-Gon gets stabbed, then said "No! He can't be dead".
    When Obi-wan falls down the shaft, "No way! They aren't both gonna die! That will ruin the movie!" later yelled "YAY" when Darth Maul dies.

At the end, she says "What have you done to me?!?! Now I really want to see the next one!"
    Another thing, she has NOT realized that there is more than one Skywalker yet. And she has made no connection between Anakin & Darth Vader. Nor is she suspicious of Palpatine.

Episode II will be watched on Friday!

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Forgot one thing. My external hard drive disconnected just before the desert duel, and when we restarted it, i accidentally opened before Anakin leaves his mother. My girlfriend immediately said, " we already saw this, I don't want to cry a second time". I was extremely surprised at the emotion she felt from that scene.

12. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Episode II -
    Sadly, I was on a bus at three am, worked all day, and then watched it at night with my GF. I fell asleep right before Anakin & padme go to Tatooine :( so didn't get many reactions.

"Oooh, friendzoned! That's cruel" when Padme tells Anakin he'll "always be that little boy on Tatooine"
    "OMG" when Obi-wan jumps out the window.
    Lots of laughs during the Coruscant chase when Anakin & Obi-Wan are bantering.
    Here's an interesting thing, she was face-palming and giggling a LOT during the love scenes, but not because they were "badly written". To her, Anakin's "bad" lines were just a good representation of awkward hormonal teenagers! And she kept saying "******g teenagers!"
    When Obi-wan sees the finished clone troopers marching for the first time "scary"

later on she said that Anakin's character was "so good", and that he was really cute.
    Also, when i asked her what she thought about Anakin killing the Tuskans, she said "well it was wrong to kill women & children obviously - but since he just found his mother tied up & beaten and then died in his arms, his reaction was understandable."

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Episode III -

This one had a bad start, because Roger Ebert just died, and someone posted a link to his positive (3.5 out of 4 stars) review of TPM, which she had already seen. BUT which gave away the fact that Anakin was gonna go bad, which she literally HAD NO IDEA about!! (sorry, guys. This absolutely proves that that is a shock to any Star Wars virgin just as much if not more than "I am your father"). Now she knew Anakin was gonna go bad, which she was really upset about because she loves his character, but nothing else yet:

Seeing Grievous for the first time "what the hell is that?"
    When Palpatine said "kill him" to Anakin about Dooku, she asked "what is he waiting for?" still does not suspect Palpatine
    Laughed at "We're still flying half a ship"
    When Anakin has his dream about Padme "oh no! not her too!"
    When Palpatine tell Anakin about Darth Plagueis, "this guy is starting to get creepy, how does he know all this stuff?"
    Anakin says "You're the Sith Lord" - "WHAT?!?!"
    When Sideous jumps up and stabs the first jedi easily - gasps and covers her mouth. From about this point on, she got really tense.
    When Anakin cuts off Mace's hand she let out a little squeal of shock.
    When Anakin says "what have I done" she said "a bit to late for that!"
    Went dead silent when the Jedi start being killed, and basically vocalized Yoda expression when he feels it. When it goes back to the temple and Anakin walks into the council chamber and you see the first kid stand up: "No! No! No! ***K NO! What is he doing?!?! (lightsaber ignites) No! Please don't show it!" After this she started wiping her eyes during the rest of the deaths, then asked me "did he really kill the CHILDREN?!?"
    Kept saying "he a ******* psyco" every time Padme asked about Anakin.
    when Anakin chokes Padme "what's wrong with him? he turns evil to save her, then kills her?"
    Laughed when Yoda throws the guards. Said "No!" and "Not him too" ever time Yoda gets tossed around.
    Cried again, after Anakin gets his legs chopped and Obi-wan gives his impassioned speech.
    Said "Twins?" in unison with the movie :)
    Got REALLY mad at Padme for "losing the will to live", said she was the 'worst mother ever'.
    When Anakin puts on the Darth Vader mask for the first time, she said "Ohhhhh" and finally made the connection!!

Afterwards she said "I'm not sure I like Star Wars anymore, that film was SO dark". (I assured her it would lighten up, but am worried that ANH will be a disappointment)

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Episode VI -
    (2011 Blu-ray)

One of the first things she said "ships can only move in a straight line in this film?" in reference to the older graphics.
    laughed at the Rebel's helmets
    About C3PO "this guy talks to much" (throughout the film she got more & more annoyed with him, saying "god that guy is so annoying in this film" repeatedly, finally at around the time they board the Falcon she was threatening to punch the screen)
    Storm troopers burst in "oh so the clones are the bad guys now? got it.", later laughed at how bad shots they are
    Whole long desert scene "nothing happens in the movie! the other ones were so much more exciting!"
    Laughed at the jawas
    Laughed when R2 collapses
    When Luke first showed up - "oh gawd he's not even close to as good looking as Anakin! How did two hot parents have two ugly kids??" (I laughed SO hard when she said that)
    When Obi-wan first shows up, "wow, he really didn't age well"
    Canteen music "oh they have lounge music in space"
    When the Jabba scene showed up, she said "this looks pretty modern", I informed her that it was put in the film in 2004
    laughed and said "did he really just step on Jabba?" also laughed at "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being"
    When the falcon is pulled into the Death Star, asked "why does it take SO long to do this one scene?"
    When the stormtrooper can't find the heroes in the secret compartment, when they get fooled into getting knocked out, and pretty much every other scene where they show incompetence, she stated "these guys are the worst soldiers ever!"
    About 10 seconds into the Vader vs Obi-Wan duel, she said "omg these guys are terrible fighters! Especially since we just saw that EPIC fight yesterday"
    When Luke said "I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home." she exclaimed "oh that's all I want in a man" (no idea why, it was just hilarious)
    When the battle of Yavin started, she commented again how the graphics were not 70s style, and I explained "special edition"
    When Luke, Han, & Leia waltz off arm in arm she yelled "THREEWAY! Wait, no!"

After the movie she said "that plot was so simple, there is no way you guys can overthink this film."
    So I explained to her about the Han Shot First argument and she said "you guys are all insane" :D

15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Mod edit: No personal attacks or flaming.

16. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    To add to that, my girlfriend doesn't like Fantasy at all. She 'tried' to watch Lord of the Rings once but gave up half hour in! But saying that she did like Blade Runner (which I found odd) lol

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Somewhat OT: but marathons are going to be impossible by the end of the decade when we the new trilogy in. :eek:

18. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    They'll be possible....well just have to be more dedicated. :p

In seriousness...most of these people aren't actually trying to watch them all immediately after each other...

19. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Well.. I do!

20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    With somebody who hasn't seen SW before?

21. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    My fiance watched all the movies chronologically for the first time a few weeks ago.

She was partial to the OT because of the richer story and less "War scenes."

Her words: "Star Wars is better than I thought it would be."

This is coming from someone who made fun of me for my nerdiness for some time. :p

22. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Actually yes, believe it or not. We did have to beat him to do it, but he came around.

23. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Seeing all this reminds me, I finally got around to finishing the saga with my father! Will write his thoughts on each film tomorrow!

24. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    There are 24 hours in a day. 3 trilogies of an avarage of two hours each is 18 hours. No problem!

25. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    If anything having 3 trilogys will simplify it more. Because now you can do 3 Episodes a day and SW marathons can be over the course of 3 days.

lbr789 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.