main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Wheel of Time (No AMoL spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Oct 28, 2012.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm very confused about the racial slurs you think I made.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  3. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Please do not accuse me of writing a racial slur when I mistyped the word "book" and then assuming that did it purposely.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    About 250 pages from the end of Lord of Chaos.

I've been thinking a lot about some of the hints that were dropped throughout the first few books. IN the second, when they're going through the Portal stoe, Rand sees hundreds of lives. In some of them, he joins the Dark One. And then, there was a conversation two of the Forsaken (Sammael and Graendal?) were having about something Ishamael once said: That in some spinnings of the wheel, the Dragon had joined the Dark One. But the Dark One was still lockeed away, and as the Ages turned again, he was forgotten enough for the Bore to be drilled. So does any of it really matter? Is the Dark One really ever going to escape?

They kind of shuddered and changed topics, but I find it really interesting.

5. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm on page 300, so just less than halfway through of POD. This seems to be more about character development with some plot movement. we do find more about Morgase; we see Perrin become more uh...comfortable (for lack of a better word) in the skin of a commander; and Elayne and Aviendha's relationship.
    I miss Mat's humour.

regarding your insight on Rand's visions...I don't think about those things! Good eye.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mat is one of if not the best character in the series.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    With honorable mentions to Thom, Lan and Aviendha

8. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    When Mat's not there, it's boring *laughs*

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I actually find her really annoying. Thom and Lan are pretty cool, but Thom's a little angsty and Lan's SUPER angsty is a quiet way (though still a badass).

10. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    So true. Mat really saves Crown of Swords for me and one of the reason I found Path of Daggers dull was the absence of Mat.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I agree with you. Lan is amazing and isn't a dull character, but he has a bit of a dull personality. I lik him and Nynaeve together, but his parts don't fill me with awesome like Mat's do.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  12. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Matt and Birgitte were my favorites. The few scenes they have together are excellent.

13. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Especially when she would out-drink him :p

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I need to get to that :D

15. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    :D

I finished rereading POD. While I missed some characters (like Mat), I'm glad only a few were the main focus as it causes less confusion. I feel like some things happened a bit too late in the series
    like Faile et al being captured
    , but then I remember this is 8/14 and the last time I did a reread I think I was prepping for "Knife of Dreams" - meaning less books.

Every time Rand embraces saidin, I can't help but think that it's just one moment closer to the cleansing. And seeing some characters either alive or acting a certain way makes me bittersweet, cringe, or uncertain - because I forget a lot of what happens in AMOL :p

16. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I finished Winter's Heart. Mat and Rand were awesome, and Lan and Nynaeve have really been getting a lot better since that scene in Crown of Swords. Onto Crossroads of Twilight. A little bit of Mat to flavor the book, but there's mostly Elayne and Egwene and Perrin, and while I like Perrin I'm not really a fan of his plotline in books 9-11.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Neither am I. I do like him leading the Two Rivers troops, though; he was great in Book 4.

18. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Perrin is a good and strong character, and I think that if he was the focus I would be interested in his story. But I agree, and it's his mindset. He is a bit too placid for an adventure novel.

19. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    I just could never get past the Perrin/Faile interaction. I hated their entire relationship from about book 6 onwards. So that kinda ruined any Perrin chapters for me.

20. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Anybody who rereads the entire series is a trooper indeed.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    winter's shart

22. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Reading Galad's duel in Knife of Dreams. One of my favorite moments in the series.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  23. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    My thoughts on Galad probably changed more than any other character between my initial reading of the series and my final read through. When I first started the series back in high school, I pretty much accepted Elayne's view of Galad. During my reread before AMoL however, I started thinking, "Hey wait, Galad's pretty good compared to most these characters." Then by the time I got to KoD I was all, "**** YEAH! Galad's awesome!"

NYCitygurl and tjace like this.
  24. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Just finished The Gathering Storm. All the main characters seemed more reasonable, so it was a much quicker and more enjoyable read. Tuon and Egwene seem determined
    to cause problems for Rand, though.

25. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004