main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    The beauty of Public Libraries.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm not buying the theatrical editions, but now I started thinking: What if I didn't buy even the EEs one by one and instead waited for the big Red Book of Westmarch edition which would include both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings as EEs and 12 or so discs of special features? You know it's coming.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  3. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Twelve?!? Twelve?!?
    I've got at least 15 discs of LotR!

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The paucity of original special features on this release of AUJ is in my opinion a definite pointer to an eventual EE/SE release.

5. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    The fact that it's a Peter Jackson movie should be a definite pointer to an eventual EE/SE release.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    FIE! FIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! WE HATESSS IT!!!

[​IMG]

7. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I would reconsider. Not only is it roughly another 90 minutes of footage in total, but once again the special features alone are magnificent. Across the three films there totals over 18 hours of documentary footage plus another several hours of animatics and several thousand stills, plus four or five different commentary tracks. All in all it's close to 90 hours of material when including the films themselves. Of course if you are only going for the films and don't care about special features then maybe it wouldn't be worth it, but they (the special features) really are very well done, and more than make up for the price by themselves.

Mar17swgirl and Random Comments like this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yup, i haven't the seen the theatrical versions since ROTK was in theatres and if i watch them, i would be nitpicking the scenes that were in the EE but not in the theatrical version [face_laugh]

9. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    The fact that's its been announced as coming sometime could be a definite pointer to an eventual EE/SE release.

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It's been mistakenly announced, and the mistake subsequently withdrawn. We can't be sure exactly what they're doing until it's confirmed and stays confirmed. Hopefully it was just someone getting ahead of themselves, but I'd prefer not to get ahead of myself.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But I want 200 more minutes of Radagast doing crazy things now dammit!!

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    As do I. Also more Sebastian. :p

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I also want 17 more minutes of footage of the Goblin King dying a more horrible, slapstick fueled death.

14. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I want films to justify their excesses.

Bacon164 likes this.
  15. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I want a fixed re-edit dealing with all the terribleness mixed in in the last two hours of the film. And I want a proper 15 birds in 5 fir trees!

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For LOTR the extended cuts were really for those who were more familiar with the story and wanted more of the details and depth. That's not really true for the Hobbit, as the films have already expanded the book considerably. Just can't see it working in the same way.

17. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    The EEs were more for making the films better and make slightly more sense....because Saruman disappearing and not being mentioned in RotK made no sense, even if its replacement isn't great...

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well we already know one scene that will be in the EE of AUJ is Bilbo looking at the Sword of Narsil which we saw in the trailer but didn't get in the theatrical version

19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    And possibly even that scene where he goes shopping at a market.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Shopping at a market? I didn't see that in the trailer

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    That scene looked a little off actually

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm really wondering about Gandalf in Dol Guldur. If it's in the AUJ EE, where would it be, during the part with the trolls, or right after Rivendell. Or will it be in one of the other films? [face_thinking]

If it is in the EE for AUJ, I have a bad feeling it'll disrupt the narrative too much.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Can't be there since he doesn't find out about Dol Guldur till after the troll scene

It'll probably be during the second film after
    He leaves the group at Mirkwood like in the book

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm soooo glad you're here to point this stuff out to me all the time, DV. [​IMG]