main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What level of hate will you have for JJ Abrams if he doesn't choose John Williams?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by dolphin, Apr 8, 2013.

?

What level of hate will you have for JJ Abrams if he doesn't choose John Williams?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2013.
  1. 1 - Not a big deal; it's his right to go with the composer he's most comfortable with

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. 2-3 - Mildly disappointing

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. 4-5 - Disappointed but I'm optimistic!

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. 6-7 - I have a bad feeling about this

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. 8-9 - What!? Argh

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. 10 - Nooooo!!! *Shoots force lightning onto Abrams writhing body*

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    What will your reaction be if John Williams continues to indicate a desire to compose Episode 7 and he's capable of doing so but JJ Abrams chooses another (Michael Giacchino, etc)?

See poll selections and discuss.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I picked 6-7 because there's a greater chance the new score will be underwhelming. While JW's work isn't what it used to be; there is no better candidate to score Episode VII: Seeds of Chaos (oops!...shhh)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It truly would be an unforgivable crime. Who better to lead us into a new trilogy with a familiar feel than John Williams?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    We need all new themes for the new characters. Who better? No one that's who.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If it sounds like John Williams wrote and conducted the score, I do not care if they hire the Electric Mayhem to do it.

Heck, they could even mislead us and hire someone like Juan Williams and hope we don't read the credits. If it sounds like a John Williams score I won't be devastated. I'm not in this for a nostalgia trip.

Yunners likes this.
  6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Just the Juan I was looking for :)

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    At this point, I may prefer they pull some stunt like getting a Juan Williams to score it. Mad, but brilliant.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  8. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    If they let Williams score again, I'd hope they let him whip up some original sounding scores, having the new music sound just like the old music would go past keeping familiar elements and into pandering territory.

If they get someone else, it'd better be Bear McReary.

9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    J.J. Abrams is given a lot of freedom over this project. For the most part, I hope he gives an original take on the Saga. But this is one area that has been well-established by one man. I really wouldn't enjoy changing the classical genius that is John Williams.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I picked 8-9.

I am very happy with the selection of Abrams, I think he is a great choice. But Williams needs to be given the job. Star Wars is his!

Darth Chiznuk and Jcuk like this.
  11. bluelantern714

bluelantern714 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2013
    10. If Williams is willing to do it, hiring someone else no matter how good would be a crime. If Williams won't/can't do it, I'm fine as long as they pick someone good (meaning not Zimmer).

12. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    The decision will probably be made by Kennedy, not Abrams. I doubt Kershner or Marquand decided to bring back John Williams in ESB and ROTJ.

13. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Abrams is an established guy, I don't think he signs a contract that doesn't allow him complete control over those types of choices. I can't say that for a matter of fact exactly, but a guy like Abrams doesn't have to do anything in this business he doesn't want to. Music generally falls under the category of direction.

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    So long as they treat the source material with respect and don't just c&p from the first six films I'd be down with somebody else doing the music.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It won't ever happen, but I would LOVE it if Daft Punk wrote the soundtrack. No joke.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    HAAAAAAAAATE!!!!! UNLIMITED HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!!!!

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Williams is awesome, but from a practical standpoint I can't see him composing another three (or more!) films at his age. When's Episode 9 coming out -- after 2020? Yikes.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I don't like Abrams regardless, especially his directing style. So meh. :p

19. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Williams has stated publicly that he wants to work on Episode VII, so at least J.J. knows the offer is there. So long as Williams' health is good I don't see why they wouldn't involve him, although I get the feeling that him collaborating with another composer, such as Michael Giacchino, to some degree is probably the most likely scenario. Williams is in his 80s, and while he still appears to be going strong there's no guarantee that he'll be able to score all three films. Like so much else with the ST, I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Without George Lucas, I'd rather it also be without John Williams. The films won't have the same feel as the original Saga, so I have no problem with the music being different too.

21. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Abrams will use his guy (Giacchino), but I suspect Williams might write a couple of themes. No biggie, his right as director and Giacchino is more than capable.

Yancy

22. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Music wise. If it ain't broke don't fix it

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Keep the main things, Opening Crawl, Force theme, Imperial theme etc. Have a couple new things from Williams but if it is someone new I won't complain until I hear the music.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Y'know what Abrams should do is just go to Williams and ask for some themes. Just like "Hey man, I need some epic themes that will go down in cinema history." Right now. Before Williams gets any older.

Then someone else obviously Michael Giacchino can fill in the rest.

Ermione-de-Verne and Winged_Jedi like this.
  25. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    As far as I'm concerned, Williams' themes are Star Wars. Whatever it is that makes something Star Warsy, the music does it to a greater degree than almost any other individual element.

If there's one thing that makes me excited for the ST above all else, it's the potential for the music to forge an emotional link with both prior trilogies. Hearing "Across the Stars" woven into a new love theme for Anakin's grandkids, or "Han Solo and the Princess" making a final, triumphant (or tragic) return, or seeing Luke swoop in to save the next generation and hearing echoes of "Yoda's Theme" to subtly remind us just how he learned how to perform that spectacular feat of telekinesis- these are the moments I look forward to.

But can other composers run with those main themes and do something special of their own? Yes indeed. See Mark Griskey's sterling work in the Old Republic period, or Joel McNulty's stunning (and all too brief) soundtrack for Shadows of the Empire. Giacchino would do a fine job. Williams would do it best, that's as clear as day, but the man's simply getting old.

Barriss_Coffee and Seagoat like this.