main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Strongly disagree. If the EU comes out of the ST intact, it will be as the result of a great deal of effort to do so on the part of all involved.

Krueger likes this.
  2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Your prerogitive to disagree on what consitutes 'surviving', however not much effort was paid to fix yet it got mostly 'fixed' anyways... and Disney can afford to fix the old EU and tie it into whatever they desire to change it into (in fact they're likely looking forward to getting money from all the 'fixing' stuff future books/tv show/spinoffs too)

Note though, I never said 'intact' and I think our disagreement stems from you believing it is required somehow... to me intact implies fully, when I just think bits will and new better stoies will fill in the rest overriding the old stuff.

3. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    And you know he didn't really care right? He got hte most basic, 30 second explaination and then got back to running a multi. billion dollar company. Iger didn't say what you are trying to say he did. You just put words in his mouth. He never once said the word writers once, he simply says it give them infinate inspiration and oppertunities to continue the saga and we can expect to see movies, tv shows, theme park attracts and consumer products. The EU isn't being studied and Iger could care less about the EU and the movies etc... He wants to make success movies and products that sell. To do that he needs movies that appeal to the widest possible audience. To do that, his multi. million dollar movies won't be built ontop of story that very few people have read and know.

Kennedy did say, very plainly, they didn't have a book series to use as a template. The director did say they weren't using the EU. They have said Lucas is still involved in the creative, he didn' tjust hand over a 10 page treatment and disapear.

You're also doing this "bait and switch" argument thing again - no one is saying that NO element of the EU will make into a movie or tv show in the future. But overall continuity of the post RotJ EU (specificlly) is going to get stomped on. ANd no one is saying the EU is going away or won't continue, its just going to change, drasticlly. It will either be scraped and re-started or its relationship to the movies will change.

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I put words in his mouth, yet you can read his mind... right... nice bait and switch. [​IMG]

You make this too easy [​IMG]

5. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    For me, "surviving" means that Star Wars maintains a singular timeline incorporating the vast majority of books, comics and games.

No matter what happens, there will still be books, comics and games produced. And it would take a truly bizarre plot to invalidate every existing EU work. But I don't see that as a "survival" of the, so far, magnificently all-encompassing EU.

It got fixed because the EU had deliberately not strayed into eras that would be covered by the movies. There is a colossal difference between the PT contradicting a few details in the Thrawn Trilogy, and the films completely rewriting a period of history covered by dozens of books.

So all it takes to sort out completely contradictory stories is money? You can just pay off the inconsistencies?

I think Disney are most looking forward to the toy sales of new and old movie characters. And then the ticket revenue from a ST that appeals to mainstream audiences. And then the profits from future books/TV shows that "reimagine" the EU favourites in the context of the new films.

kubricklynch likes this.
  6. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Why wouldn't they be looking forward to getting money from all the new products they can make that tell new stories in that time period? But these ones would fit perfectly with and expand on/continue the story of the new characters that Episode VII will be about.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    see my edit Jedi Comedian... We're disagreeing over terms and therefore getting lost in translation. Rather not get into a game of semantics on this, dealing with fenton can be... occupying. Sigh probably better to end that too, since the guy will gladly derail the thread with the same old convo if I let him... rather save this thread for new convos instead.

8. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I'm not reading his mind at all, I just know that a business man who runs a multi. billion dollar corporation isn't going to sit there and spend time learning about the StarWars universe history on the holonet. He has MUCH more important things to do. The EU and how its handled is NOT On his radar, he doesn't care. He wants Star Wars to be a thriving, profitable franchise. PERIOD. And that franchise is one part of the entire company he runs. Its not like 30 Rock were the present spends all his time worried about 1 aspect of his company.

I also take it you can't defend your putting words in Igers mouth but also aren't adult enough to admit what you did so you'll just try to ignore that you did it, and in a couple pages do it again.
    Or that tell new stories set in the post RotJ time period but star the new characters that star in Episode VII.

of course, we could also see the current EU time line continued on a novel series, as that would just mean more money for Disney.

9. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Its because you keep using the bait and switch argument - you start talking about "big picture" like myself and Jedi Comedian then switch to a very small explain, like a planet name, because you think it can help prove your point.

ANd if you didn't keep putting words in Bob Igers mouth, we wouldn't have to talk about the samething over and over again.

10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    or we could be grown ups and not tie up this thread for the next 3 pages with the same old convo, like we did last time. Sorry I'd rather try to have a level headed debate and not get into an endless argument for what we both want. I just feel we're repeating ourselves now and I dont talk just to talk. Im fine with a little skirmish every now and then, but I wont tie up the thread either with the same never ending debate, please dont take this personally since we're both guily here. We've both lowered ourselves to teasing and name calling, time to end it.

HanJones likes this.
  11. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    No you wouldn't, which is why you keep trying to say Iger said the EU will be inspiration for his writers when he didn't, and won't just admit that he didn't say that move on. Thats why you keep bait and switching the arugments you get into. YOu've never once tried to had a level headed debate.

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
  13. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    case and point.

instead of making a mature responce, which is what someone who wants to have mature debates would do, you post a gif.

14. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    DarthBreezy likes this.
  15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

jedimikey likes this.
  16. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    "There’s a lot of content in the books and comics that are of questionable quality and, frankly, should be ignored by the films. Can you imagine the films having to acknowledge that The Crystal Star exists?"

That sentence sums up my feelings.

Ryus likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Why would the films have to acknowledge that The Crystal Star exists? Nothing significant happens in it, most of the EU doesn't acknowledge it, I can't think of a single The Crystal Star reference in any other book.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Usually the "sitting back and eating popcorn" gifs are used by those NOT directly involved in the current argument. ;) :p

StoneRiver likes this.
  19. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    They wouldn't, that's just the most famously terrible EU novel.

20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Just as long as they acknowlegde some of the EU, I wont complain if they have a sexy red head named Mara Jade. :cool:

21. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Exactly, I left it. A point someone else clearly missed or just ignored to gain a final word [face_laugh]

...but dont tell him, I plan to drag it out just to see how long he'll have a conversation with gifs. ;):p

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I found it entertaining enough, even with its flaws.

And I'm told that the Jedi Outcast game provides a fairly decent "prequel" to it, showing what Hethrir was up to, before he tried the kidnapping plot.

23. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    The perfect scenario for me would be a break at 19 ABY. The NJO was cool but didn't fit with the whole saga to me. Keep the kids names but don't have weird stuff like Jacen going to the dark side. I never read anything any of the post NJO books, but all I hear is people complaining about it.

Ryus likes this.
  24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Throw in Kevin J Anderson stuff, Crytsal Star, Twilight Planet and make the rest of the stuff PT and ST friendly and you have a winning formula imho.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Not really, as Hethrir is not even mentioned in it, or hinted at in any way. He was later said to be behind it all in some source, I think it was an rpg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.