main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Plausible Plot Setup for Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by caesar23, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, there's plenty of acceptable reasons for it to be so.
    1. Many believe (myself included) that the "Jedi way" was flawed, and that the "no attachment" rule was one of those flaws.
    2. Luke isn't the same kind of Jedi as the Jedi of the old order, and it's totally believable that he would create an order that was different from the old.
    3.Dogmatic adherence to a philosophy without any room for growth is a bad idea. It usually leads to problems. Flexibility is key for things to keep from being stagnate.
    4. Luke was raised by a family, and still has a sister. It's believable that he would value these connections and not teach against them.
    5. Anakin didn't fall to the darkside because he was married, he fell because he was a selfish, power hungry, jerk. He was like that before he was married.
    6. Luke has already disproven many of the rules of the "Jedi Way" already. Raised by a family, taught after he reached adulthood, strong emotional ties with friends and surviving family members, etc.

2. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I understand your points, but I don't think we need to see all this expressed through Luke. At least, not directly. I think Yoda was correct in stating that Luke was 'the Last of the Jedi'. Going forward, we'll get to see a different and unique vision and expression of the Jedi ideals of the past.
    I think it was clear in the OT that Luke was at first hesitant to become a Jedi, struggled with attaining the patience and confidence of mastery, and finally tossed aside his Jedi weapon in order to achieve salvation (both for himself and for Anakin).
    In the end, Luke was just as much a failure at fulfilling of Prophecy and carrying forward the Order as his father. Perhaps he was not able to do it, because it something that could not be done.
    Who's to say he would not decide to disassociate himself with all this completely? Certainly, the Jedi way did nothing for the safety and health of his family. Even when they were at their peak, they failed to save the GFFA from utter chaos and destruction. Their ideals and good intentions ultimately failed.

Which brings me round to my point. In order to move in a new direction, or 'passing of the torch', we need a new kind of fire entirely. Perhaps The Force is something we've only learned the first thing about? Might not there be more to the story than just self-rightous Jedi and self-serving Sith?
    The destiny of the GFFA might lie along a different path...
    I hope so. That would be cool.

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    But wait a minute, it's certainly strongly implied that Leia will be trained to be a Jedi, and yet somehow it's okay for her to marry and have children, but not Luke? This makes absolutely no sense.to me.

Additionally, as far as I can see, there's absolutely no reason to think Luke, who, as an intelligent, wise individual, surely understood that it was the attachment shared between he and his father which helped to save the galaxy, should insist on a no family rule for the New Jedi Order. Certainly, the PT alone would have us thinking it's the 'Jedi way,' but of course, there was so much more to the story. Surely, there will be a new mandate. It's either that, or the new generation of heroes will be the product of some currently unknown entity and, while certainly not impossible, I don't think that's the direction almost any of us see the ST taking, no?

edit: Though my point about Leia stands, I see that Scoundrel has already brought up my other point. Still, as the ST is a part of the Skywalker saga of I-VI, I think that the rhyming techniquie will continue. And I think this is as it should be. Save the entirely new approach for one of the myriad of new SW films that will be headed our way.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No EU! Bad EU! Bad!

5. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    Where?
    Her reaction to Luke's newfound power and impending confrontation with Vader in ROTJ is "Run away! Run FAR away!".
    The 'there is another' line only has meaning if Luke failed in his attempt to defeat the Emperor and Vader, which he did not. Based on her presentation in the films, Leia could not have lived up to the same destiny.
    There's no need for Leia to become a Jedi. Sure, she can learn the philosophy and teachings for what that's worth but...there's no enemy for her to be trained against.
    She's no Jedi.
    Leia having children that are more attuned to the force makes sense because she's the daughter of both Padme and Anakin, and her offspring (probably) carry the Solo genes as well.
    Granted, best case is we'll get the 'original story' we've been promised and all this pointless dot-connecting will be irrelevant. ;)

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Where? Come on, now. You already know where I'm headed with this. ;)

Yoda: "Pass on what you have learned."
    Luke: "You're wrong, Leia. You have that power, too. In time, you will learn to use it as I have. The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And…my sister has it."

Now look, I'm not saying that I don't agree with you that Leia doesn't necessarily have to become a Jedi, just that I feel it was implied in ROTJ that she would one day be trained to be one. If I were writing the ST, Leia would be attuned to her Force powers, without maybe being an outright member of the New Jedi Order.

That said, I do think she will have children who will feature in at least one of the lead roles and my hope is that Luke will have a son who will play the new protagonist, and as I already said, I frankly see no reason that Luke, or any other Jedi of the New Order, couldn't marry and procreate. I just feel certain that, thanks to his experiences with his father, this will be the direction Luke will opt to take the Jedi. I'm not saying I couldn't be wrong, though. It's just my interpretation.

7. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    Well, yes. Leia also somehow knew to turn the Falcon around to save Luke at Bespin. But I'm not going to provide evidence supporting your arguments, now am I? :p

That, my friend is what why it's called Speculation!

TreborSabreon likes this.
  8. Darthchrontis

Darthchrontis Jedi Padawan

Feb 25, 2013
    There will be Sith definately. They sell toys, they will be in the film. (I have no problem with this).

I never understand why people have 'beef' with the EU. Lucas was clearly inspired by EU when making the PT. Mace WIndu anyone? EU character before he was in the PT. Force lightning deflect by light sabers? In the EU before the PT. Padme? Was put in EU/comics before the PM.

So the EU is not being thrown out. He said himself in the interviews around the time of the sale, there are thousands of comics, books games that can be developed into decent movie ideas. The EU is not being thrown out. But the ST is to be an original story he never said they wont draw from EU like they did for the PT.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    George Lucas took the name Mace Windu from a very early draft of ANH where the character was called Mace Windy.

10. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    For some reason I believe that Yoda and the Jedi order think that the only Jedi left is Luke. My personal belief is that there are a few rogue Jedi. My reasons are only based upon Official Star Wars information. When Obi - Wan goes to the temple and asks the librarian about Kamino, she tells him that it does not exist. We know now that files were removed, not necessarily erased. The second is that Obi - Wan himself, and Yoda, both vanished off of the radar. I will be glad to see more Jedi who escaped, form their own families and ways alternative to the original code and training.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    In that same draft the force was known as the "Farts", and Mace Windy was VERY strong in the "Farts". :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We have a plot thread that predates this one (which was somehow missed the first time around) and has many more responses, I'm going to lock this one. I would merge but the dates would cause a lot of confusion if anyone goes back to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.