main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why does Darth Sidious have a light saber

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Joes, Apr 8, 2013.

?

Should Darth Sidious have a lightsaber

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Joes

Joes Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2013
    When he handles lukes lightsaber he holds it awkwardly and calls it a "jedi weapon": It is something he is unfamiliar with.

Vader only had one because he was a fallen jedi and i thought that was kinda cool.

Usually i dont care much but can someone clarify this?

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I,like you,have absolutely no idea why Sidious had a lightsabre? As you quite rightly point out he didnt seem at all familiar with The weapon in ROTJ. He knew OF them but I didnt for one minute think that he had been spinning around in the air whilst wielding his own at some point in the past. But they were all the rage in the sequels so, why not I suppose.(shrug)

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I think the impression of his "awkward" hold of the weapon is projection onto the scene. Me, I took his handling of the weapon as almost regal, as though passed a captured prize of great value, which it might be said to represent since presumably there's very few of them left by that era in galactic history. And the full line is:

Vader: His lightsaber.
    Sidious: Ah yes. A Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's. By now you must know your father can never be turned from the Dark Side. So will it be with you.

He's referring to it as a Jedi's weapon in order to press home to Luke that it, like the Jedi, like his father, are all irrelevant against the Dark Side. I didn't take from it he was unfamiliar with them or hadn't handled one before, rather than he didn't need to wield such a weapon anymore. Rather like Yoda, seeing as the two of them are rather crusty by ROTJ and who similarly has no lightsaber on show throughout the CT. By this point in the Empire's history, Palpatine's weapons are fear and manipulation. If there was a time when he needed a lightsaber, it's passed. Unlike Vader, who still uses his from time to time and who does take a workmanlike grip on Luke's weapon when it's first recovered.

4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It make's little sense for him to have one if you just look at it in terms of the saga. But looking at it from an ENTIRE Star Wars view the Sith have been using lightsabers just as long as the Jedi, it makes little sense for him to be unfamiliar with them.

It would have been cool to see a Palpatine in the PT who felt he was above the use of lightsabers and allowed Vader to do so because he was so proficient with them.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Says who? He just described the weapon to the audience, I'd say he's very familiar.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Well I'm shocked. I gotta lie down.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yeah, sometimes it's hard to handle what's in front of you...

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  8. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    But does not Sidious use a red lightsaber in ROTS when he dueled Yoda?

9. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I don't think he nor Yoda should have used lightsabers at all. They should have relied entirely on masterful use of the Force.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Sidious should've killed people just by the snap of his finger.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This thread is in the OT forum, but it seems to be asking a PT question when it says "Why does Darth Sidious have a light saber?". I agree with Saintheart 's answer regarding Palpatine and lightsabers in ROTJ. I used to strongly agree with those who would have preferred to not see Yoda or Sidious use a lightsaber in the PT. When those movies came out I wished they had left those two characters to be "above" lightsaber use and just use the Force. But looking back I like the way they did it, even their duel against each other... and both characters (Yoda and Palpatine) have obviously evolved to be above lightsabers at some point after the PT era.

My bigger problem is seeing Count Dooku use Force lightning. I still think that should have been reserved for Palpatine in ROTS and ROTJ.

Darth_Kiryan and Sable_Hart like this.
  12. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I always thought the idea of Sidious having a lightsaber odd as his Force Lightning is 10x cooler for the character( :p ). I see him and Yoda as Masters of the Force who didn't need a lightsaber to defeat their opponents.

13. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Something else to consider. The Emperor uses his lightsaber in the PT when he's in danger. Yoda is a real threat to him, as is Windu, at least until Anakin comes to the rescue.

Luke is not a threat to the Emerpor, at least in his mind. Luke has the potential to become one, but he's not on that day from the Emerpor's way of thinking. Once it becomes clear Luke won't turn, the Emperor isn't just killing Luke, he's torturing him. He could probably have killed him instantly, he didn't want to. That's why no lightsaber

Darth_Kiryan and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, Yoda and Sidious should've just sat on opposite sides of the room with their eyes closed. After about twenty minutes, Yoda gets up and leaves. He calls Bail Organa to pick him up and says "into exile I must go, failed have I..." [face_laugh]

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Ask the ROTJ script why he doesn't, cause he sure does there. It's even up his sleeve.

16. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Yes all Sith should have Lightsabers. Sidious is especially awesome with a Lightsaber in ROTS.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This! This makes sense

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You mean RotS? I don't recall it being mentioned in RotJ's script, but I could be wrong.

19. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    I'd like the idea of combining the two, force lightening from the end of the lightsaber!!

I've also thought that the lightening would cause them to be very static and covered in fluff, attract balloons and have really really BIG hair.

Paparazzo likes this.
  20. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Nah, it is. Even popped up down in saga a while back, I believe.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Oh, you mean the Revenge of the Jedi rough draft. I had almost forgotten about it.

DarthBoba likes this.
  22. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    lmaaaoooo

23. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    He regards it as a weapon symbolic of the Jedi Order. There's one of the books (was it "Darth Plagueis"? I'm not sure Edit: Nope, it was Sith Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader) where Sidious says that the Sith have long since outgrown the need for lightsabers, and only continue using them in order to humiliate the Jedi by beating them at their own art.

24. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    All Sith are trained in the lightsaber. People are taking Palps' sarcastic words a little too literally. If Luke had the saber skills to challenge the emperor in rotj, we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

25. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001

You're all laughing about this for some reason, but that actually would have been really cool.

The implication in RotJ is clear: Palpatine sees a lightsaber as a foreign weapon. A Jedi object. For those of you claiming 'All Sith are trained in the lightsaber', this certainly didn't look to be the case in 1983.

Yoda should also not be wielding a saber. His disapproval of Luke's addiction to carrying weapons about everywhere is evident in ESB. How much time does he spend training Luke in those oh-so-important lightsaber skills? No time at all.

Jedi Masters, as opposed to Knights should be way beyond using crude and redundant artifacts like lightsabers. And I think that's what Lucas and Kasdan thought in 1983, too.