main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Things you didn't like about AOTC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    Attack Of The Clones is easily my least favorite film of the prequels, and the entire saga. If you did like it or dislike it, what aspects did you dislike about the film? I mostly didn't think the score was all that memorable except for Across The Stars, and I hated the Anakin/Padme romance scenes.

Dredalus likes this.
  2. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I enjoy the aspect that it reveals the Jedi as these warriors that defend peace, rather than robed men that sit around and discuss problems, you know?

3. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I was disappointed in Obi-Wan's story arc, being set up as a mystery sub-plot but it turns out Obi-Wan is dumber than Mr. Magoo and Inspector Clouseau. But that's OK because the entire Jedi order is revealed to be complete morons.

The "love story" was vomit inducing.

Way too much "the frame is just filled with stuff".

Everything C3PO does on Geonosis.

Pinball Yoda completely ruining everything forever.

Padme dressing like a dominatrix by the fireside but she can't have a relationship because she's a senator.... WTF?

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    In retrospect, it's the unanswered plot points that plauge Attack of the Clones. It became clear that Revenge of the Sith took a different direction than originally intended, and we had nothing but assumptions as audience members. The 3PO Geonosis scenes weren't that painful, but I would definately prefer the deleted battle scenes instead. Action sequences were added where they weren't needed, and thus the more anticipated battles (i.e. Geonosis) were cut up.

All in all, the pacing could also benefit from more balance between the first and second half.

Dredalus and Random Comments like this.
  5. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    it's my favourite Star Wars films

it has plot holes like you wouldn't believe

but visually it's the most stunning to me,

and I like the pace,

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed Anakin making a complete ass of himself the love story.

Also enjoyed seeing the clone army for the first time, and the final scene with Palpatine looking over it and Bail punching the balcony railing.

Loved the Lars homestead scenes.

Didn't enjoy:

Obi-Wan and Jango's prolonged water fight. Enough already.

A few scenes when Anakin needed to just STFU. See: Jamilla's throne room. See: the first scene in Padme's apartment, when he managed to embarrass Jar-Jar. I understand why he behaved the way he did in both scenes, but damn, that was hard to watch.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The only thing that really bothered me was Hayden's performance, though he got a little better in ROTS.

Dredalus likes this.
  8. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I agree. I feel like his acting slowly improved between the two films, but it still wasn't the greatest.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I didn't really like the droid factory scene. I like the idea behind it but It's kind of boring the way it was filmed and I'd prefer the scenes with Count Dooku and Padme.

I hate that they cut the scene with Obi-Wan and Jocasta Nu discussing Count Dooku.

I can't think of anything esle I didn't like. It is one of my favorite SW films.

10. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    One thing that I thought of that I don't really like in AOTC was the scene with those giant peanuts-with-legs looking things and Anakin riding one while faking being hurt to attract Padme's attention. I don't even really know why they threw that scene in there. I just thought it was kinda stupid. Oh well.

V-2 likes this.
  11. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I liked the battle sequences. The hover car chase sequence felt way too long.

The love story felt forced, the Naboo sequence is boring.

I don't like the way that Mace looks down at Jangos body after he kills him.

I used to rate AOTC higher than TPM but now it's at the bottom of all 6.

12. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    I hate the bodge job that GL made of the 2011 Bluray edit. It wasn't perfect in the 2002 version but in particular Dooku's escape was rendered incoherent in the 2011 edit. AOTC is far from perfect but I find it endlessly watchable for some reason.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  13. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I agree they should have kept in Obi-Wan's chat with Jocasta Nu, plus Obi-Wan and Mace on the landing platform. Plus the extended arrival on Naboo humanised Anakin and Padme a little more. Oh and the scenes at Padme's house.

Some bad lines (apologies in advance AOTC fans)...
    - "I'm sorry Senator, I've failed you." She did exactly what she was meant to...
    - "I love democracy. I love the Republic." Silliness. Not the irony it was going for.
    - "I hate it when he does that." So he does this all the time?
    - "In that case be extra careful." Pretty lame advice for a Jedi.
    - "Only a Jedi could have erased those files. But who or why, harder to answer." AOTC Yoda and ESB Yoda are two completely different characters. I like him in TPM and ROTS though.
    - "I wish that I could just wish away my feelings." Hmm.
    That'll do for now.

Plus Jango hitting Obi-Wan's ship over twenty times without killing him (although the seismic bombs were cool), Palpatine's Sidious persona making only one appearance, Obi-Wan's mission generally, Anakin trying to take Dooku "now", the lighting incapacitating Anakin after such a short burst is an inconsistency, and Yoda's "Victory? Not victory." moment doesn't sound as profound as it is supposed to.

The main reason I come back to this movie is the Tatooine scenes, Shmi's death is quite powerful. Dooku arriving on Coruscant is also cool, the music is great. There is some decent symbolism and parallels in the film, but overall the movie is the only of the six that I don't like. I like the ying and yang in the clouds Anakin is looking at on the Naboo balcony, and the perhaps unintended symbolism in Obi-Wan and Anakin losing to Dooku with the same saber (Also, Anakin and Luke both lose their hand using a saber given to them by Obi-Wan. Coincidence?). There is also some dialogue with hidden meaning... "Obi-Wan is going to kill me.", "Dreams pass in time." "This weapon is your life!" in contrast to "Your weapons, you will not need them." etc.

powersRweak and V-2 like this.
  14. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Not enough Jar Jar, tbh.

The Yoda Vs. Dooku duel is way to long.

Jango's death.

The annoying Boba Fett.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Just two things:

- Obi-Wan's fake beard;

- Blu-ray changes;

It's still a great movie though.

16. janstett

May 29, 2004
    I also love (translation: am annoyed by) how Hayden and Natalie are rolling in the grass and then just stop as if they're waiting for George to say "Cut!" but he's still sipping his coffee, so they hold in a freeze frame like the end of Police Squad. Also the fake way Hayden lands on the ground reminds me of Groundhog Day when Bill Murray's character is sick of the seduction and just flops himself on the ground ready for makeout time.

[​IMG]

17. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Ah, thanks for reminding me. "Patience. Use the force. Think." Wait, aren't you the guy who rashly jumped out of a window and held onto a droid you had no idea could support your weight going nobody-knows-where, that should have just shook you off or crashed itself to kill you?

kubricklynch likes this.
  18. powersRweak

powersRweak Jedi Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    The "Finding a speeder I really liked" attempt at humour makes me cringe.
    The changeling being a changeling for no apparent reason.
    Somebody hiring a bounty hunter who hires an assassin who uses a robot that uses some centipedes.
    Anakin's little tantrum when trying to impress Padme.
    Anakin murdering the women and children sand people but we are still supposed to accept he is a basically a "good guy".

V-2 likes this.
  19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Rapey Anakin.
    Padmé being hot for rapey Anakin.
    Villain of the week: Count Dooku.
    Yoda fighting like Gon from Tekken 3.

only one kenobi and powersRweak like this.
  20. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Virtually all interactions between Anakin and Padme.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  21. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Only two things come to mind at the moment:

- A bit too much CGI
    - The Blu-ray edits for the Corusaunt chase sequence and Dooku's escape after his duel for Yoda. The addition with Shmi calling for help in Anakin's dream is brilliant though.

Mindless Monster likes this.
  22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    - Not enough Rose Byrne
    - Boba Fett wasn't played by Jet Li (never thought I'd see the day when a hot scoop from GeoCities turned out not to be true!!!)

SlashMan likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The romance scenes of Anakin and Padme,
    Hayden's voice-can't stand it
    The lengths of the separate duels against Dooku. All way too short.

24. powersRweak

powersRweak Jedi Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    When Anakin says he is a facist, gently teasing a senator and subtly foreshadowing his role in a dictatorship.

25. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I never understood what the deal was with Mace looking at Jango's body. He looks confused, like he wasn't expecting that to happen. Was that really the best take?