main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What things from the PT do you want the ST to keep?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by InterestingLurker, Nov 8, 2012.

1. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    With regard to lightsabre fights, the PT was the Jedi in their supposed prime. The OT was the Jedi starting from scratch, hence the retconned difference in fighting styles. Where would that leave the ST?

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  2. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Nothing wrong with high-speed lightsaber fights. The only CGI in those is some of the backgrounds and the glowing blade itself. Unless you count CGI Yoda and the cut/paste of Christopher's head...Actually, I kinda wish they had a good swordsmaster around for the OT. But it all worked out just fine...Obi-Wan and Vader were old, and Luke had no actual saber training in any of the classical Jedi styles.

And you can't have beings like Kaminoans and Dugs or Dexter Jetster without CGI.

Never had a problem with midichlorians, and I've been a fanboy since '78.

3. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    nothing, except John Williams. As far as CGI goes there has to be the right balance. Much of the PT looked "really cool" but also looked fake at the same time. Look closely at "The Hobbit" and compare it to LOTR, "The Hobbit was really visually stunning but that does not mean it looked more real. Disney and Lucasfilm can afford a few models, miniatures, and real life sets. It's not like this movie won't gross a billion dollars world wide even if it sucks....seriously.

4. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    1. The artistic grandeur of the planets from the PT, such as Coruscant, Naboo and Kamino.
    2. The lightsaber fights.
    3. The species that were introduced in the PT, such as Togruta, Muun and Kaminoans.
    4. The Master/Padawan relationship.

5. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    You say that like the late '90s were so long ago and the technology was primitive.
    The title of this topic makes me think of stylistic choices, but we've already seen that topic. I don't want to see anything that looks like it has been "rebooted". I'm almost certain this will have a more modern-looking yet professional filming style but hope it doesn't change how stuff like hyperspace jump shots or specific aliens look, like when Star Trek changed the transporting effect and the look of Romulans. That shouldn't be done simply to separate the two franchises so Abrams' SW doesn't just look like his own Star Trek.
    "Parallel to real world events" was mostly a coincidence. Lucas obviously realized he could throw a few minor things in there ("you're either with me or against me") to make his story feel even more relative.

6. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    Fast and furious lightsaber battles. The music (Duel of the Fates, Battle of the Heroes).

I don't want to see characters from the PT in the ST where the only reason they weren't in the OT was because they weren't invented yet. For example, I love Darth Maul, but him showing up in Episode VII would be jarring. Also, I like double bladed lightsabers, but I kind of want to see that be Darth Maul's thing.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
  8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    CGI Yoda looks like a living, breathing being.
    Puppet Yoda looks like a hand puppet.

9. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I'd like them to keep the level of violence they had in 'Revenge Of The Sith' in terms of it was the most "shocking" and real of the current films. If that amount of realism can be used in the ST then I feel lots of other real moments can follow them to be a decent, more grown-up entry.

Sitara and Darthchrontis like this.
  10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    There hasnt been a single lightsaber fight that didnt have both problems and good aspects to them. In the OT the issue was obvious of lack of a skilled choreograpgher, especially with Obiwan vs Vader, though on the plus side the camera got really up close and personal.

With the PT you almost got the opposite problem, having great fights but due to many issues such as cgi and old actors being replaced by doubles (big fear here this issue will repeat itself with Hamill and Fisher) they kept the camera aiming at their backs or from a distance. The next issue I have with the PT fights where missing opportunities, such as Maul missing three or four chances to kill Quigon and once he finally does we dont see it (also that perfect stab is almost as bad as a certain whompa loosing his arm horizontially from a virticle cut).

That said the 10 epic seconds between Obiwan vs Maul still might be my favorite of the whole series, since it was brutal, upclose, and attacks came from every direction... still it could have been better if say Maul was given some dialog and Obiwan could have gotten some good acting thrown in their reacting to his taunts. As to Obiwan vs Anakin, my issues stem more from Lucas having to throw in dodging lava and the whole 'I have the high ground' logic that didnt help Maul previously, the fight itself was mostly pretty good.

In short though, Id love more high speed saber fights but they need that Empire Strikes Back brutality to them and willingness to get the camera 2 feet from the actors face in the midst of the action that the PT never really did with CGI fights involving Yoda or stunt doubles such as Dooku's case since Lee was just so old.

Jedi General Gelderd likes this.
  11. Darthchrontis

Darthchrontis Jedi Padawan

Feb 25, 2013
    I think you so wrong. Go compare the fight between Anakin and Obi in ANH and ROTS, the original trilogy duels have now become a joke. The Phantom menace ones? What the one fight? And the sort of fight on tatooine? In the cinema when Yoda 'unleashed his inner beast' there was a loud gasp from everyone in the theatre. It was awesome and so was dooku.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Jedi Starfighters Anakin and Obi-Wan were in in ROTS.
    Some previous events mentioned.
    Midi-Chlorians if Plagueis comes back.
    Some fast paced lightsaber duels but not for all of them. Have a variety. Some OT style duels, Some PT style duels and a mix of both styles.
    Bring in some PT era aliens.

Darth kRud likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is still the worst CGI that I have ever seen in my life. You can see right through her head... in one eye and out the other. Lazy. Just lazy computer graphics. Give me puppets or masks, any day.
    [​IMG]

14. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    o_O
    FYI about the swordmaster for the OT
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Anderson_(fencer)
    In terms of swordplay chops, he blows Nick Gillard out of the water.

So maybe you meant:
    " I kinda wish they had a stylized fight choreographer around for the OT."
    Which is a fair criticism, the fights are not kinetically exciting.

kubricklynch likes this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    All of it.

16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Does the concept of having pretty people with nice hair count *except mace...poor mace*? Cause if so then heck yeah ;) If not then I kinda liked some of the pretty outfits the women wore.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Personally, I like my characters scruffy looking. :)

Darth kRud likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, I prefer my male leads to accidentally look Amish.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  19. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    How about elder Jar Jar Binks as the head of the new Jedi Council. He's force sensitive. Midi-Chlorian chart off the scale. I can see him accidentally turning on his light saber and getting it caught in his sleeve during battles and tripping over it as he slashes and kills angry and blustering Dark Jedi....or maybe not.

20. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Death Sticks.

21. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    What would I like to see kept? Well, certainly there are story elements and traditions from both the PT and OT I hope to see kept, and in-universe mentions of things such as Order 66 or the Battle of First Geonosis would be great, but I'm going to offer something a little different from that and say that I hope they keep the visible lightsaber wounds (you know, that little golden glow that would show up during a point-of-contact?) that things like Luke's battle with Jabba's henchmen on the sail barge could really benefit from. Yeah, I hope we get more of that.

22. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013

Ugh, I'm so tired of this argument. Is it easy to overlook how much excellent model work there was in the prequels? Absolutely, but that's more because CGI is so ubiquitous everywhere else in the films, not because the CGI itself was ever that convincing (watch AOTC on blu-ray; it isn't).

As for the topic of the thread, I want the visual style to maintain the rich colors of the prequels, and the grand scale of course. Let most of the design aspects go, I want a return to the hard shapes and classic look of the OT, just more vibrant.

As for the extent to which CGI should be used, I want to mention two things:

1. By 2015, CGI will be so effective and convincing that I'm not sure if I'm even going to care how much of it is used. For example, I bet you didn't know that New York City in the final battle of the Avengers was completely CGI in every shot! Also, check out the trailer for Elysium. Ep7 is going to look twice as good as THAT.

2. I think the high point of the series, as far as combining CGI with practical effects, is Naboo in episodes 1&2. The wide vista shots use awesome, detailed models for the buildings, and CG matte's for the landscapes and backgrounds. The interiors of the buildings, such as the queens throne room and Padmes lake house, are physical sets that look real and have texture, unlike many of the interiors of Coruscant such as Palpatines office, which were annoyingly and unnescasarily greenscreened.

ALSO, for anyone looking for more in depth discussion and speculation as to the style of lightsaber combat we might see in the upcoming films, I'd like to direct you to this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ern-influence-for-lightsaber-combat.50010260/

Circular_Logic likes this.
  23. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Not much.

I hope Coruscant blows up at the end of Episode 7.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This is kind of a strangely-worded question. I can say with almost absolute certainty that Jar Jar will not appear in the ST, but that doesn't mean he'll have been retconned out of existence, which is the impression I get from "keep".

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm another who likes CGI, although I do prefer that the human characters are played by actors. CGI everyone and everything else, please.

I'd definitely like to see Naboo again. Especially if Luke and Leia go back there and say "There's something awfully familiar about this place..." (OK, just kidding. Aside from a mandatory "I have a bad feeling about this", I'd rather not have repeated lines.)

I'd like to see Coruscant again.

No Tatooine, no Geonosis, and for the love of all that is holy, no midichlorians.