main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    victory, victory

3. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Soooooo... did no one tell them about about the race of warlike religious maniacs into martyrdom and bloodletting ever? I mean, the Vong are such a smorgasbord of unfortunate implications if you look at it from an outside perspecitve that I would be very surprised if there was no controversy of that.

4. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Not really related to Turkish culture so properly gets a pass. :rolleyes:

*joins his Lego Jabba in smoking from a Hookah before someone decides to take both of them awayl*

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Were they not inspired by the nasier parts of the Maya and the Aztecs?

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Freac explains it better.

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Esg, Random Comments and GGrievous like this.
  8. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The set should now on only be available in a black box with a sticker "For Adults Only". And perhaps "Collector's Edition". That would show Lego.

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Random Comments likes this.
  10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    In other news... Zuckuss supports equality.

[​IMG]

Authors should too.

11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    That's not all he supports, is it? ;)

TrakNar likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Sure, and what's next? Bugs and robots, living together? [face_shame_on_you]

Goodwood, krtmd and Zorrixor like this.
  13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Only if a man in a suit can fit inside them.

TrakNar, Goodwood and CooperTFN like this.
  14. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    At least call him by his name ;) Barney Stinson!
    [​IMG]

Goodwood likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But if we go by name both master Kenobi and Jin could be asian

also why don't she count just because she is a villain?

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks

17. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    So this happened. Since I was turned on to Saga here in Lit (pun intended) by CooperTFN, I thought I'd share.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I saw that and was briefly blinded by pure disgust, and I haven't read Saga yet. Nothing like big corporations attempting to dictate the moral compass of their consumers.

What annoys me even more are all the passive aggressive "it's their platform they can do whatteva they want" people. That attitude is not helping; we're not talking about a single person, we're talking about a large corporation that borders on a monopoly. Even disregarding the blatant homophobia on display, it's still censorship, and censorship is terrible.

Zorrixor likes this.
  19. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    And indiscriminately applied censorship at that. Graphic hetero sex was just fine. :mad:

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Saw that last night; I think I'm more annoyed about having today's issue lightly spoiled. :p

But really, it is fairly tame by censorship standards--Comixology users can just buy it online instead of from iTunes, to say nothing of the thousand other ways to read it. I'm betting Apple will back down once the shaming has gone on for a bit.

More importantly--instantdeath, go buy this.

instantdeath likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hm, I wonder how they would have dealt with the homosexual sex in Vaughn's earlier series, Y: The Last Man. 'Course, that was never very explicit, and I haven't read Saga, so I can't comment on how explicit the sex is or isn't there.

Gay sex in comics is hardly a new thing, so I tend to think this is either an oversight, and they meant to censor all of the sex (which is still idiotic, IMO), or there's a fairly new editor who is very prejudiced.

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yes, I do really, really need to read Saga. And Y: The Last Man. Probably Saga first, considering it's shorter and on hiatus.

In fact, screw it. Ordered the first Saga TPB

Shouldn't be any. As mentioned, the series has featured explicit heterosexual sex before. No problem. Though it's between two aliens who only look like humans, but I don't know about this case :p

It wouldn't have anything to do with the editor, since this is strictly an Apple thing. You can still buy the issue practically anywhere else, it's just Apple refuse to sell it in their App store. Of course, from what I understand, you can still buy it at Comixology and sync it to your Apple device... really all they're doing is attempting to make sure a segment of their audience won't see it, which is ridiculously low.

I have to laugh at all the serious replies about how a kid could accidentally "stumble onto" this comic and be ruined for life [face_tired]

CooperTFN likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well editor, Apple employee, whatever. And people have been saying that comics are the Devil/a bad influence on kids and other stupid **** for years.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Pfft, people are over comics. It's all about video games now. They're the real source of corruption in society.

Zorrixor likes this.
  25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    As if there were not enough other reasons to dislike Apple....