main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Confirmed. Disney To Release Additional Films Based On ‘Star Wars’ Characters

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Vastor, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Want to see character from movies or EU

1. Movies

59 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Movies and EU.

156 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. EU only

16 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This seems like a good possibility.

2. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    1 - Sounds nice, but Maul returning to the big screen reeks of 'cash-in'... I'd sooner see Savage on a vengeance mission than the reincarnation of Maul (or one of the ideas discussed previously in this thread). Either way, the exile of Obi Wan deserves a movie!

2 - I'd sooner see Aurra Sing in the trainer role, but as long as Dengar appears I'll be fine!

3 - Sounds delicious, throw in a side of Kessel Run and lightly season with some Jabba and Greedo and I'm sold!

Great ideas though Darkslayer!

Ryus and Darkslayer like this.
  3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I can see the logic behind such a move. However, Iger himself did say that they're developing spin-offs centered on beloved characters (I'm sure that was the word he used). Surely that means characters already in the public eye?

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm thinking they'll do both. I'm sure with Arndt on script duties we're going to have some new beloved characters.

5. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing] I just wanted to say, that no matter what the spin-offs end up being about, or which characters have the spot light shining upon them, I AM HYPED ABOUT ALL THIS!!!! [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I don't think TCW was popular enough for Disney to bank on making films specifically about the resolutions of character arcs from the series. I would wager that the average movie-goer who buys a ticket to see upcoming SW films has probably seen most (if not all) of the previous SW movies, but has not read any EU materials and has not seen much (if anything) of TCW. TCW was popular amongst much of the fanbase, but your average Joe Publics don't know who Ventress is, and they don't know Ahsoka Tano from a canker sore.

Don't get me wrong, I can see Disney using characters from TCW in the movies, but they have to do it in such a way that viewers gain enough information on them and their motivations from the movie itself, without having to research TCW episodes beforehand. With this in mind, they would have to trim much of the fat of TCW away, and even erase some of it from canon in order to make a compelling film.

For instance, if Darth Maul were to return in the movies, his resurrection story arc from TWC should basically be rebooted, rather than expanded on or resolved. Although I watched the Maul arc in TCW and would be satisfied with a movie that resolved that storyline, I think Joe Public would appreciate a movie that begins with the resurrection of Maul from his defeat at the hands of Obi-Wan in TPM and concludes with his final showdown with Kenobi at the climax of the film. In other words, erase all the drawn out fat of TCW (including Savage), and reboot Maul's resurrection for the film. Or just leave Maul dead.

As for Ahsoka, Joe Public would be really confused if she were thrown into a film without some expository preamble about who the heck she is, especially if they just mention that she was once Anakin's apprentice in throw-away dialogue. Joe Public would be like, "What? Anakin had an apprentice? And she's still alive? They never mentioned her in the other movies, not even in Episode III, and now we are to believe she exists? What is this crap?". Honestly, I don't know how they can use Ahsoka in a movie without making her seem shoe-horned into the saga -which, of course, she was-.

Several other TCW characters suffer from the same difficulties. It would just be too difficult to use them in a film without rebooting or reworking their TCW storylines. I guess what I'm saying is, if Disney is smart -and I know they are-, they will either avoid TCW characters that did not appear in the films, or they will reboot those characters if they are to be used in a significvant capacity. Some would require a hard reboot, and other just a soft reboot.

However, some characters could work very well as background or cameo players - Cad Bane, for instance, would work well in a cameo role.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Think Marvel phases, come out with the big guns (Yoda, Boba Fett, Han Solo) and classic, iconic characters that people will know. Then Episode 8. On Episode 8, you can start to ST spin-off. Maybe toss in a sequel or two to the classic character spin off. Phase 3 spin offs, maybe another sequel, maybe a chance to do more strange, off the beaten path stuff (Obi-Wan Tatooine Western-style spin off) kind of like how now Marvel is doing Guardians of the Galaxy and so forth.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  8. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I only hope that they don't go The Avengers route and put crucial plot points in the spin-offs that are meant to tie in with the episodic films. In the case of The Avengers, it works, as they are all within the main series (or "Phases", as they're calling it).

The Matrix might be a better example. They intentionally left out scenes from the sequels, for use in the Matrix video game. However, the game itself was a completely different medium, and was pretty awful to boot. So most people who saw the films, and missed out on important plot points found in the game, and in turn the films suffered.

Ideally, the Star Wars spin-offs should be in a completely different time period and expand on characters rather than crucial plot points found in the saga films. Otherwise, might as well make them episodic films and stick them into the saga if they have stories that are so crucial and important to the other films.

Darth Venator and Krueger like this.
  9. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Out of interest, why does it have to be a different time period? Surely they could make a spin off, using a currently seen character, but just make sure the story isn't crucial nor important to the other films. A totally separate story using a relatively unknown character. Someone like Bo Shek for example. (That is just an example, I'm not saying I want that film - someone in another thread takes things way too literally). Just because they were seen in the main saga doesn't mean their story will be part of the main saga. There are billions of citizens in the GFFA and the majority of their stories will be away from the Rebellion etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm not sure that a story will be intrinsically tied to the main saga, just because it is set in the same timeframe.

Spot on there mate. 100% agree.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

11. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I'm mainly speaking of spin-offs released during episodes 7-9, that take place during episodes 7-9. I think it would be retreading the same period of time a bit too much, and might step on the toes of the episodic films. Again, this goes back to when I was saying, if the character and their story is important enough to be a film, then include it in the episodic film. Intentionally creating a character that cameos in episode 7, for example, for the sake of giving them a spin-off is a bit too gimmicky.

Reminds me of The Matrix sequels, where the characters Ghost and Niobe felt out of place thanks to their crucial scenes being intentionally left out and relegated to the Enter the Matrix video game.

So in the case of Episode VII, I wouldn't want them to intentionally engineer the stories so that a spin-off would become necessary viewing. So I'm not against setting the spin-offs during the films, I just don't want them to give us Episode VII followed by a spin-off starring that guy who was Luke's son's co-pilot and his film takes place a week after VII and in turn sets up plot points for episode VIII.

12. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Amen to that (I agree completely)

13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I think the best ideas so far have revolved around the bad guys... Aurra, Boba Fett, Darth Vader (the real Vader -not the idiot from the prequels), Darth Maul etc

14. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I think a very good idea for a plot for a stand alone movie would be:

A very old Ahsoka Tano approached Luke Skywalker with a Holocron from the Jedi Temple. During the exchance Ahsoka tells him that he once was the Padawan of his father during the Clone Wars which obviously hightens Luke's Interest more. " You knew my Father?" ask Luke. " Yes! He was my master! And the only one who stood by me in my hour of need!

15. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013
    I would love to see a Cad Bane Movie! I would find it interesting if he joined up with a young Boba Fett on an adventure to steal Holocrons Encountering numerours Jedi along the way and a few other bounty hunters searching for the same.

16. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013
    I know everyone wants to see a Darth Vader hunting down Jedi after order 66, but didn't he utilize StarKiller for that? I would still like to see the Galen Marek AKA Starkiller Story come to the Big Screen. Many great memorable images can come to light during that flick. Like StarKiller casting some poor Stormtrooper into the Death Star's ray while they are testing it out. Additionally, StarKiller hunting down Jedi in Felucia and other planets not visited in depth would be interesting. Anyway, I think it would make for a great movie even though we know how it all ends up from the games.

As for Bob Fett Movie: I like this as well, Someone had mentioned a movie about the delivery of Solo to Jabba's Palace. I think this is a great idea, specially with so many other bounty hunters around trying to cash in. The prized possession can be stolen by say: Older versions of Hondo Ohnaka, Cad Bane or even Aurra Sing. Regardless, it would be a fun ride!

As for Darth Maul, I can't see it happening. I think they'll address that on the final season of the Clone Wars.

17. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Meh, I haven't played either TFU game, but Starkiller seems way too over the top to work in a film. If they absolutely have to say that any Jedi other than Obi-Wan and Yoda survived Order 66, then I'd want Vader to be the one executing them.

18. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013
    This has been the best idea yet!
    1. Spacehip Earth can easily be converted into the Death Star Ride. Where instead of the history of man we see the history of Anakin Skywalker. (Meet Darth Vader)
    2. Test Track can be transformed into the Corusant Speeder Chase. (Meet young Obi-Wan)
    3. The Mission to Mars can be transformed into the Hyperspace From Alderaan to Bespin Includes The Astroid Field (Meet Lando Calrissian)
    4. World of Energy Can be transformed into The Battle For Naboo! (Meet Jar Jar)
    5. The Living Seas can be Trasnformed into the Gungun Sub Ride - Meet Moss Nas / Side Show talk to Jar Jar
    6. The Land Can be Transformed to Space Farming with Owen And Beru (See the Lars Farm)
    7. Imagination can be Transformed into an all together different Simulator Ride (The Pod Racers of Tattooine in 3D)
    8. Honey I Shrunk the Audience, transforms into the Emperial Attack at Hoth in 4D
    9 Then you have the countries transforming into Planets like you said! (Great Idea! see Below for Details)
    10: Finally the Music of John Williams Laser and Firework Show
    11. Soaring Transforms into Gliding Over the Battle of The Moon of Endor. (The Ewok Store)

This could happen very easily!Now the World Show Case:

1. Mexico Becomes The Rebel Base on the Moon of Yavin, See The Hanger and Ships Meet Mon Mothma, And Luke SkyWalker)
    Attraction: (Evacuate the Rebel Base Watch The Death Star come into view And Explode)
    2. Norway becomes Degobah (Meet Yoda)
    Attraction: (The Camino, Gungan & Degobah Swamp Voyage)
    3. China Becomes Alderaan See Bail Organ's Palace with Tantive IV - meet Pricess Leia & Bail Organa)
    Attraction: (360 Degrees of Alderaan from Episode III)
    4. Germany Becomes The Cantina at Mos Eisley Space Port - See the Millenium Falcon - meet R2D2 & C3PO outside - Ben Kanobi and Han Solo inside- An animatronic Cantina band will be playing their two hits)
    5. Italy Becomes Watto's Junk Yard At Mos Espa ( See Anakin's Pod Racer And Mechanic Droids)
    6 & 7. The American Adventure and Japan Conbine to become Coruscant - See the Jedi Council (Meet Mace Windu, Plo koon, Kit Fisco, Ki-Adi Mundi and other Jedi of the Council Members) See the Senate Building (Meet Queen Amidala, Senator Palpatine & Imperial Guards)
    Attraction: (The Star Wars Adventure - The Narrator would be C3PO)
    8. Morroco Becomes a Tuskan Raider Village (Ride a Bantha See a Dew Back Meet Sand People and Jawas)
    9. France Become The City of Theeds ( Meet Padme and Anakin Skywalker)
    Attraction: (Impressions of the City of Theeds)
    10. United Kingdom Becomes the Coruscant Underground ( Visit the Outlanders Club - Meet Lord Sidious, Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Sam Wessle, Guido and others of your Favorite Villans)
    11. Canada Becomes Kashyyyk (Meet Chewie and Tarfful)
    Attraction: Circle Vision 360 - The Battle For Kashyyyk)

But that's a whole other thread! :cool:

19. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013
    Its a very good story and ends very good. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you but initially Darth is hunting down the Jedi, which, if I remember correctly, One of them being Starkiller's Dad. Vader kills him and the boy watches it all. Well Vader takes pity on him and takes him under his wing and starts training him in order to eventually take down Darth Sidious. He eventually becomes more powerful than Vader. I'm telling you it would make for a great movie. Lots of cool scenes like him taking on two Rancors.

20. Darth_Panicius

Darth_Panicius Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 7, 2013
    I'm inclined to agree with jedirush. The story lines for the games are really good, and would make a good basis for a movie spin-off. We can only hope

21. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm fully aware, of course, that there's a contingent of the fanbase who weren't thrilled with the storyline of TFU, but somehow, some way, I came to embrace the character of Galen Marek.

Now, I'm not talking about the clone known as "Starkiller" in the second game (heck, they'd have to actually finish the story of that one before trying to sell me on it's merits), but rather the actual Marek from the first. At the very least, I found his story had enough intrigue to keep me from putting the novel down.

When the Live Action Show still seemed like it could have been a reality, I thought that Marek would have made for an interesting supporting character, weaving in and out of the story now and again. Now with that show lingering somewhere in production purgatory (and with the promise of new films), I could definitely get behind a stand-alone picture focusing on his story. To his credit, Sam Witwer has always done a fine job with his portrayals, not to mention that he is an avowed fan of the franchise (and that always winds up being important to me, somehow).

But you know, all that said, there are at least a couple of other stand-alone's I'd rather see first. Number one on my list is a 'Dark Times' feature exploring Obi-Wan Kenobi during his exile (and starring one Ewan McGregor). Next would probably be a Boba Fett movie set after his escape from the Sarlaac, preferably focusing on Fett's building of a personal underworld empire in the vacuum left after Jabba's death and the hit the Empire took following Endor.

There have been rumors of a young Han Solo film and, if they get the casting right, I think that could be an awful lot of fun. I suppose my interest level in a Galen Marek picture starring Sam Witwer could be said to be right around that of a young Han Solo romp.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Starkiller is a total blank slate wish-fulfillment character.
    I mean, he even goes lightside after being raised a Sith.

He's good looking.

He has superpowers.

He has a blonde chick.

He is raised by our favorite daddy Darth Vader.

He defeats the evilest dudes there are.

He treats the Dark Side like some tool he can easily throw into the dumpster.

Everything about him screams Gary Stu.

23. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I both agree and disagree with some of this.

- He's good looking? Yeah, so what? Nearly every actor/actress used in film these days is. Do I like that? No, not necessarily, but at least in Witwer's case, there's some talent backing it up.

- Superpowers? Well, he is a Force-sensitive individual in the GFFA, after all. My issue is the way he was overpowered in the games (but then again, it was a video game). I certainly wouldn't expect to see him doing something ridiculous like pulling a freaking Star Destroyer out of the atmosphere, should he ever appear in a film (he'd better not, anyway).

- "Blonde chick"... Erm, what? So what? Who cares? Make Juno a brunette in the films, then. :p

- His time being groomed as an assassin by Darth Vader is part of what makes his story interesting to me (and part of what would make that story unique in G-canon).

- Now where I completely find fault with Galen Marek's depiction, thus far, is in the way he completely dominated Vader in battle. Personally, I think this was a mistake, for both Vader's character and Marek's. I'd much rather Galen's sacrifice had come not at the hands of the Emperor, but Vader himself (long before Marek would ever even have had the chance to be completely eviscerated by Sidious).

- Again, his struggle with overcoming the dark side is part of his appeal, for me. That said, I agree that it could be handled better and I would hope that, in a proper feature film, this would be examined in greater depth and detail, while being given more time and attention than a video game setting would allow.

As far as "Gary Stu," well, I don't trade in these type of phrases, but I think I take your meaning. ;)

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If he is to be remodeled for a movie (which would be fine), we need to first identify what personality he has. Maybe you can help me with that. Besides his ridiculous power, who is the man Galen Marek. What drives him? What are his fears? What are his flaws? His strengths?

I very much like the idea of a secret apprentice, but that person should have a distinct personality.

Btw. I like Sam Witwer. I don't fault him for speaking an overpowered video game character (that's par for the course in this media).

TreborSabreon likes this.
  25. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013
    I was thinking more of Tom Hardy as Galen Marek. But he need to get in shape again!