main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Ralph McQuarrie Concept Art in The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dark Lord Tarkas, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    In case you don't know who Ralph MacQuarrie is, he's the guy who did all the original concept art for Star Wars when it was just a script, so if you love how the OT looks, you love him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't mind if people want to talk about anything relating Ralph MacQuarrie to The Clone Wars in this thread, but what I'm particularly interested in designs that he made that weren't used in any of the Star Wars films that later were used in The Clone Wars, so I'll be using this thread to try to compile a comprehensive list of those.

In the TCW S1 DVD extra for Trespass, the crew explains how designs for the snow/ice planet were inspired by some aspects of MacQuarrie's first drawings of what Hoth was going to look like in Ep. V that didn't wind up in the final design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not all the ice and how blue it is. And here's the planet from TCW's Trespass:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a lighter blue and appears even lighter than it is because of all the snow, but you can see all the massive, towering ice walls in the background MacQuarrie had originally envisioned for Hoth but didn't wind up in Ep. V.

2. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    It is Ralph McQuarrie. Close though!

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    One of my favorite McQuarrie designs (Monument Plaza) made it into one of my favorite episodes, "Duchess of Mandalore."

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Mr. Atom Bomb likes this.
  5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Oops, thanks for letting me know, I'll ask a mod to fix it later.

Very cool, don't think I knew about that one. You want to make a post about it with pics? If not, I will.

Thanks. Oh hey, you're a mod, would you mind fixing the spelling of the name in the title and the first post? I'd really appreciate it. And while you're at it, that line of text in between the drawings and TCW shots should begin with "Note" not "Not" so if you could fix that too that'd be great. ^:)^

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Fixed the title, my tablet is giving me fits trying to edit the post with images.
    Fixing that will have to wait till I'm on my pc...

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  7. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Please, feel free, my friend. I just wanted to mention it. :)

Those scenes really turned out great, though, huh? And that design, wow - I mean, what a feeling of peace in that park, and right in the center of what is usually break-neck paced Coruscant, too.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  8. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    Also the clone troopers snow armour in Trespass were based on McQuarrie's designs for the original snowtrooper armour from TESB.
    McQuarrie was a genius. A sad loss.

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Here's a pic

[​IMG]

Son of a Bith likes this.
  10. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    Ooh nice one, thanks for posting that, good to see the designs side by side.

11. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
  12. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.