main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Poor LandoTheCape... one really just cannot ask useful questions with the PC crowd present, can they...?

wannasee likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I said the fact of adopting 9 boys is weird and suspicious but alone doesn't scream "pedophile," and said the topic belongs in its own thread.

In response, he said I was living in a cave, and much worse, he said how he's probably more sensitive to this due to him having a soft spot for kids and being concerned about their safety. And when I pointed that out, he didn't back down. How is that not deeply offensive? Only monsters don't have a soft spot for kids and aren't concerned with their safety.

Odd? Yes. Should every person who wants to adopt be greatly investigated, much more so than these two people were? Of course.

Why are you surprised I'm offended for what you said to me? Also, for your information, with a mother who was a special education teacher and me personally helping her try to help them.... and as a human being who naturally cares about children and their safety... maybe you should stop making assumptions that people who don't see things the same way as you don't care as much as you.

This has nothing to do with homosexuality. All I said was (1) that's weird, but it doesn't automatically make you a pedophile, and (2) this isn't the thread for this, since it has nothing to do with the thread topic. How is this somehow him asking useful questions, and me being the PC police? Seriously...

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Poor me... you really cannot simply just paraphrase people's random assumptions in order to _____ them with this sensitive PC crowd, can they we me I?

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't even understand what you're trying to say here.
    And what makes you think I'm some super-sensitive person who demands everything be politically correct? I'm simply against people acting like douchebags to me, or anyone.

V-2 likes this.
  5. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    WAIT.

Am I the only one who is seeing a bunch of RED FLAGS in this conversation between Lando and Summer? I mean, they're talking about kids and stuff and it's just weird! I hesitate to ask because I don't want to offend anybody, but COME ON. Who is with me?

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Poor Darth Ghost... one really cannot respond to misunderstood posts paraphrasing other people's crazy line of thinking with all of these pointlessly redundant posts around, can they?

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The truth is, girls are adopted more than boys by almost double.

[​IMG]

http://www.adoptioninstitute.org/FactOverview/international.html

With all these boys in foster care and group homes, waiting to be adopted, I can see why a red flag wouldn't go up when this couple wanted to adopt boys... especially if there were no reported issues with the kids previously adopted by them. I'm sure these people's backgrounds were thoroughly investigated, and it's likely that nothing came up. It's unfortunate that this happened, but what you are experiencing is hindsight bias... you know the outcome of the adoption, and you are thinking that it was a lot more predictable than it actually was. Be honest with yourself... would the adoption of boys really make a red flag go up for you, or are you simply saying this with the outcome in mind?

A Chorus of Disapproval my sarcasm detector is not broken, and I appreciate your deadpan sense of humor. <3

8. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    1) Those stats cover only international adoptions, and I haven't read anything that would lead me to believe that these children were adopted from other countries.

2) That page says that more girls are adopted than boys, not because people don't want boys, but simply because there are more girls. (China hates girls.)

So this idea that adoption agencies would be happy to just get rid of boys isn't true. At least, we can't extrapolate that from the data...

also, I think a gay couple adopting only boys should have raised a red flag. If a single man were to adopt only little girls, wouldn't you think something funny about that?

Finally, I don't know how thoroughly their backgrounds could have been checked. Abused/ raped children usually show signs...

tl;dr I disagree with everything.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    While we're debating whether or not further scrutiny should have been raised over a gay couple adopting several sets of boys that they are now accused of molesting (and who cares more about children apparently). France has apparently gone ahead and made same sex marriage legal.

Screw it, my computer's being a slow, whiny little ***** tonight so here's the link without pretty HTML.

http://t.co/RRcBQeTbCz

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    We show that PAPs exhibit a preference bias in favor of girls and against African-American
    children. Specifically, if we consider a non-African-American baby, the probability that a given
    PAP expresses interest in such a baby is 11:5% if the baby is a girl and 7:9% if the baby is a boy.
    The effect of the estimated adoption cost on child desirability is significant and negative. That is,
    ceteris paribus, an increase in expected adoption costs lowers the desirability of a child. This allows
    us to convert the gender bias into dollars. We find that the increase in desirability of a non-African-
    American girl with respect to a non-African-American boy is equivalent to a $16; 000 decrease in
    adoption finalization costs. We find the same gender bias to be present for African-American babies.
    In particular, the probability of eliciting interest from a PAP is 3:4% for an African-American girl
    and 1:6% for an African-American boy.

It is interesting to contemplate what underlies these observed biases. Consider, first, the gender
    bias. The existing literature on parents’ preferences for the gender of their biological children has
    invariably identified a preference for boys. This is believed to be the case both within the U.S. and
    abroad (e.g., as manifested in the case of the missing women in China). However, our results on
    gender preferences constitute a reversal of this evidence in the adoption environment. One possible
    explanation is that PAPs fear dysfunctional social behavior in adopted children and perceive girls as
    “less risky” than boys in that respect.
    http://www.econ.yale.edu/seminars/apmicro/am10/wexler-100304.pdf

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not a done deal yet... but hopefully soon. The UK Parliament is expected to do the final vote on gay marriage in a month or two too.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Uruguay legalizes Gay Marriage, with 77% of its senators voting in support of it. It's the 3rd nation in the Americas to legalize SSM nationwide, after Canada and Argentina.

[​IMG]

To be updated soon:
    [​IMG]

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  14. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I've always wanted to attend an upside-down gay wedding.

Edit: Also this...

[​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    what is it with you and maps with no key. did you, like, fail the SATs?

16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Please keep this to posts discussing the topic - Lowbacca1977 edit

Chewgumma likes this.
  17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Reminder that this posts should be adhering to the topic at hand, specifically

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's pretty easy to figure out... :p

And there is news... New Zealand has legalized Gay Marriage (and the full Senate passed gay marriage in France, it's now reconciling with the General Assembly)

19. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    really tho? is it? im supposed to know what beige and light green mean? or the difference between teal and navy?

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Do you have a better understanding on why France is having to reconcile bills? I would have presumed that this would be a simple redefinition of marriage which would be, effectively, the same legislation, so I'm wondering why there's a discrepancy between the bills in the Senate and General Assembly.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think it's easy to tell, but here you go (the image itself doesn't have a key)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_marriage-equality_laws.svg

They're including same-sex adoption too, and "minor amendments", but besides that, I haven't been able to find any article detailing the differences on these "minor amendments."

22. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    Was at the MN capitol yesterday for the mass lobby day to legalize SSM. Stood in the freezing rain to listen to the speakers then drove for 6 hours in a blizzard to get home. Not trying to sound like a martyr, but its interesting that the opposition cancelled their lobby day a while ago because of bad weather.

Anyway, at this point we have the senate. The house is a little more iffy, but there are several reps that are considered moveable. We think we only need 3. One of them is in outer-Duluth, which is interesting since that area was the second strongest in the state for opposition to last year's gay marriage ban ammendment and they were pretty strongly against it. People are feeling pretty confident. I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  24. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Is legislation underway in Rhode Island? Or is it just ripe for that now? I think it'll be more interesting to see when legislation starts showing up elsewhere in the US, outside the Northeast. It makes sense that it's more common there, but I'm still somewhat surprised it's almost exclusively that region.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    RI's House passed a bill in January or February, and the Senate committee just passed a bill today. Governor Chafee was one of the first senators to support it, and our Speaker is openly gay.

Also, all state GOP senators announced today that they would now support legalizing gay marriage .

Delaware will be legalizing soon too. Iowa, Maryland, Washington state, and Washington DC already have. Wyoming, of all places, was seriously considering it earlier this year.

There are states in the west like Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado that are considering it. Some in the Midwest too. But it makes sense for the rest of the Northeast and West Coast to come first.