main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Matt Damon in Elysium

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Apr 9, 2013.

1. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    What.
    what
    what
    what

Tom Cruise might be a grade-A douchecanoe™ in his personal life, but that doesn't mean that all of his movies are terrible just because he is in it. Batman Begins is a good movie and you are missing out on some quality entertainment because you are prejudice. Do you not watch Roman Polanski films because he butt-raped some 13 year old girl? Or is it ok to watch his movies because Tom Cruise doesn't act in them?

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    There is the argument that if Tom Cruise is getting a percentage of the gross, so is the Church of Scientology. I understand the attitude, even if I don't share it.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    No, actually I don't watch any Polanski films for the very reason you stated. I won't support a fugitive child - rapist.

4. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    roman polanski is like 80. i don't think you can really call him a "child" anymore, can you?

5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    He wasn't a child rapist then either. He was in his 40s when it happened.

Master_Jacen likes this.
  6. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Edit: Oh, you're joking... :p

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  7. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Tom Cruise wasn't on the take with Batman Begins. In fact, him and Katie didn't get together until after filming wrapped.

8. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    No worries, Juliet, just pirate his movies. :p

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This slipped under my radar. I just caught a trailer on i09. I was hoping for sequel to District 9. But I'll take this. And lol this did have the Inception BWONG!

I have watched many a space colony vid on youtube. This paradise above Earth looked great.

Why the Matt Damon Hate? The dude delivers.

10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    After watching the trailer again I couldn't help but notice a few things:

1) Some of the action takes place in an artificial ring-like construct.

2) Matt Damon's character undergoes some kind of augmentation procedure and ends up with a cybernetic exoskeleton.

3) We see several VTOL dropships with a striking resemblance to, well UNSC Pelicans.

4) The final shot features the movie's title surrounded by a haloish ring.

I see what your did there, Mr. Blomkamp. Consider my ticket bought.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Welcome To Elysium

This is basically a tour guide to the space colony. According to that the torus is 125 km. It does not say if that is a radius, diameter, or circumference; and it holds up to a quarter of a million people. O'neill cylinders designed to be up to 20 mile slong could poterntiall house 10 million. Any of the the three potential measurements for Elysium could house much more but it looks like they are going for providing less crowding.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    That's some creative marketing. I don't know what it actually cost to make, but I think Elysium was budgeted at $90 million. 3x the budget of District 9 but only 60% of the 2009 Star Trek budget, which looked positively low rent next to District 9.

I'm assuming a nice chunk of that budget increase went to buying Jodie Foster and Matt Damon.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Found another one looking for images. HERE

7,946 : Citizens of Elysium
    92 BILLION: Man hours to build Elysium torus
    251.2 : Square kilometers of habitable surface on the torus

It has 7.6 times the area of Manhatten and Manhatten has millions of people on it. Elysium has just under 8,000.

14. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Guess they don't have to worry too much about overpopulation.

15. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Space rings and futuristic VTOLS aren't owned by Halo, and they're not new/original concepts. Actually it seems like the first Halo game borrowed heavily from Aliens.

[​IMG]

But, Blomkamp did do that Halo short.

Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Long...post...containing history and pics..of space colonies...imminent...must...resist...

17. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Honestly the first thing I think of when someone mentions a "space ring" is "2001: a space odyssey."

That said, some of the shots in that trailer do remind me of Halo a bit e.g. seeing the ring curve upwards out of frame.

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent likes this.
  18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    And Halo in turn was influenced by Larry Niven's Ringworld. Elysium's hub is an homage to the 2001 station. The 'zact same rectangular hanger.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Rings, spheres and cylinders. Poetically speaking I always loved the torus/ring design best. I have fantasies of walking the circumference both before population and after. That thought might have its seed in Ringworld when an unenlightened native thinks the Ringworld is in fact a flat piece with an arch overhead and he sets out to walk to the base of the arch not knowing the entire structure is in fact a ring.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I thought the thread title meant Matt Damon was dead.

Alpha-Red, eht13 and VadersLaMent like this.
  21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And he was involved with the aborted Halo movie. I guess that was my point. Either that he decided to heavily borrow from those not-so-original elements for this flick or he's showing us he can actually do that particular franchise as well.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I always thought "being involved in the Halo movie project" was code for spending time in rehab.

23. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Right--he said recently that he left the Halo film because he didn't have enough creative control, It think. I think it likely that he may be proving the latter--the he can actually do that franchise as well. Elysium could be a way of saying he deserves more creative control, sure.

"I still really love the world and the universe and the mythology of Halo," he said. "If I was given control, I would really like to do that film.
    "But that's the problem. When something pre-exists, there's this idea of my own interpretation versus 150 other people involved with the film's interpretation of the same intellectual property. Then the entire filmgoing audience has their interpretation."
    He added: "You can really live up to or fail in their eyes. That part isn't appealing to me, but the original pieces are appealing."

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    No one really wants to make or see a Halo movie. If this project had the slightest potential it would already have been made.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Also because video game movies suck.