main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Kotaku details last days of LucasArts; provides video of LA's Battlefront III

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Joe, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
  2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, so Disney doesn't want to release any "violent" games, even a FPS, what kind of nonsense is that?

3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Wow, and I though I wouldn't get sad about it anymore.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Episode VII better be golden, or this entire deal wasn't worth it.

Darkslayer and spicer like this.
  5. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I'm doubting whether it was worth it even if VII is amazing. I'm not alone. Hatred is one thing, but Disney is breeding the image of being an aloof evil corporation, caring more about profits than people. And that's a very bad sign for Disney's relations with SW fans.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, if what was said here is true, than Bob Iger doesn't strike me as the nicest guy.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If that really is Disney's reason, then they had better make LucasArts pull most of the Star Wars games off the shelves, namely the FPS and RTS games, otherwise they better shut up and let LA have their autonomy. Why didn't this apply to Marvel when Disney acquired them?

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Cancelling in-production games? Ending series' with proven track records and devoted fans? Layoffs? That is business as usual at LucasArts.

9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    What a depressing read. Hat's off to Kotaku for their great investigative reporting on LucasArts these past few months.

cdgodin likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Disney is really ticking me off right now. I keep picturing Bob Iger as Lex Luthor for some reason...

cdgodin and Joe Antonetti like this.
  11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    The big rumor floating around LucasArts circles—something we have not been able to confirm, but that has been relayed to us by two different sources—is that EA was considering buying LucasArts, but that some combination of the SimCity debacle and CEO John Riccitiello’s departure put an end to those plans. We reached out to EA two days ago for comment on this, but they haven’t gotten back to us.

Well, some good news to come out of it at least. If you're a long-suffering Origin Pandemic Studios Bullfrog Productions Westwood Studios Bioware fan, you probably would far prefer Lucasarts shut down than have the joint left to the tender ministrations of EA.

Unless you like $5 DLC lightsabers, of course, or $10 DLC to get all of Darth Vader's lines.

12. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I'd highly recommend tracking down Carl Hiaasen's "Team Rodent: How Disney Devours the World." It's a very acidic take on the Mouse House's way of doing things.

13. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    There has been a definite shift in the culture at Disney over the last decade and a half. Previously it was Michael Eisner who was the bane of a small group of Disney shareholders (like myself), that didn't want the brand turned into some soulless corporate monolith. We believed the company needed to live up to Walt's old mantra that we cannot forget "it was all started by a mouse."

Roy Disney fought tooth and nail to pry Disney from Eisner's clutches and allied himself with people he felt understood Walt's vision of Disney as a family entertainment company. Iger started out as a great guy who was first brought in to resurrect the Disney parks and specifically Disneyland. Iger brought in John Lasseter and they began the process of returning Disneyland to its old glorious self as well as correcting the misstep that was California Adventure.

However, now that Iger is fully in control of Disney, and Roy is dead, he's basically just turned into a clone of Michael Eisner and frankly you would not be able to tell their corporate decisions apart.

Pretty sad.....

Yancy

14. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I hate EA... but i would rather have EA got Lucasarts, and we got BF3 and other SW games. Than Disney deciding to not make any SW games, except some licensed out SW kiddie games. With no violence etc... This article destroyed all my hopes for a BF3 or any good SW games for the future :( Im so pissed at Disney now! :(

15. CrashTheHedgehog100

CrashTheHedgehog100 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2013
    Well, this is stupid. I don't want to be horrible but you know that one day Disney are going to make Marvel Guardians Of The Galaxy meet the Star Wars franchise.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Losing respect for Disney

17. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    :( :_|:_|[face_phbbbbt]

This type of Disney wanting to be PC by cancelling anything good SW-related (Clone Wars, LucasArts, etc.) really makes me re-think being a SW fan.

18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I think the reason Disney gave about not having violent video games was pretty much a misleading excuse. Probably just trying to find reasons to set up the closing of their video game stuff. Trust me, they won't care about violence in the games when they are licensing it out to other developers.

They just don't want to front the risk of developing games in house.

Disney has no problems with making something violent(although not gratuitous). If anyone saw John Carter you know what I mean...

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  19. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    I hate Disney with all my heart

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Indeed, they seem OK with releasing violent movies.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. JTShiro

JTShiro Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    It's a shame Battlefront 3 failed to be developed again and 1313 won't probably ever be released, but LucasArts has been going downhill for awhile and outside of Force Unleashed I can't even name a LucasArts game that has been released in several years that has been developed by them

Penguinator likes this.
  22. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

And video games, too:

[​IMG]

Notice that they released it with their Touchstone label, rather than the Disney Interactive Studios one.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    To be fair, if the Disney Family cares so much about the direction the corporation is going in they should never have given up control of it.

24. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    The family didn't "give up control" it lost control through corporate takeover. Following the death of Walt, then Walt's brother Roy O. Disney, the company was essentially rudderless and, Roy E. Disney and Ron Miller, Walt's son-in-law, were the only Disney family members on the executive board. By the mid 70s Roy resigned as he was unhappy with the direction of the company although he retained his shares, meanwhile Ron continued on with the company and was finally elected CEO of the company. However after a number of financial mishaps like Tron and the Black Hole, and the slow death of the animation division the company was ripe for takeover... and that's just what Michael Eisner and Jeffery Katzenberg did in the mid 80s.

Roy was brought in numerous times as a figurehead to spearhead efforts to "Save Disney" and restore the company to its former glory and be more in line with Walt's vision. Roy was a crucial part of the animation division in the 90s during its Renaissance, but after that he became more of an annoyance as people saw through Roy that the old Walt Disney Company was dead and little more than your typical multimedia corporation.

Yancy

GunganSlayer likes this.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Surely the Disneys were the largest shareholders being founders and owners of the company, so they shouldn't have sold their own stakes in the company and allowed others to have the power to run it into the ground. It seems like they obviously don't care all that much now so long as they still get royalties from the name of old Walter E. Disney

So yeah, they did give up control of it because they went from running it to not running it anymore. The fact that the Steve Jobs estate and George Lucas are the biggest shareholders now and the CEO is not named Disney speaks for itself.

Once you allow corporate types into your company that care solely for increasing profits and not for the history and legacy of a company then you sell your soul. If you don't want that, don't let such types in. It all comes down to what you want your business to be. These days Disney is vast, far greater than Walt himself would ever have imagined it being I'm sure. But what was once a place of dreams is now like any other huge corporate monster, and the only people to blame for that are those that allowed it to get that way.

Saintheart likes this.