main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Changing the PT due to the ST, OK?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Samuel Vimes, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    NOTE. This is not intended as thread about that changes MUST happen or what you would change. Nor is it about the quality about the PT/OT. Nor I am saying that any changes WILL happen.

The OT has been changed and some of those changes came about due to the PT.
    There has been lots of debate about wheter or not that should have happened and if that is good or bad. But that is not the issue here.
    But some have argued that some changes to the OT are ok to make a more cohesive SW saga.

Question. Are changes to the PT (and possibly the OT) ok if the aim is to make the now NINE films a more cohesive whole?

Ex. say that the ST features more Sith and the writer/director wants that those Sith were around in the OT/PT and Palpatine knew about them but didn't act. To that end, the dialogue about the rule of two is removed.

So are further changes ok yes or no? Are changes ok but only if Lucas approves?

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Well, Lucas doesn't really own SW anymore. I'm not sure if Disney-owned LFL would want to "pull a George" and make changes to the PT. :p

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Without George's involvement, no.

Andy Wylde, SlashMan and Darkslayer like this.
  4. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I suspect they'll remake them eventually.

5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Yeah, reboot in a good 20 or so years is a suspicion of mine

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    The Lost Tribe of the Sith happened under G.Walton's watch, Plagueis ended the Rule of Two under G.Walton's watch so I really don't see the point. If Disney has to go back and alter the first six movies to make the story work for the Sequel Trilogy, then they should never have decided to continue the "SAGA" in the first place.

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

The changes in the OT were at best, minor. I don't see the possibility or need for any extensive changes in the PT.

Why? What would be the point in remaking the first two trilogies?

8. Master Elaine Nega

Master Elaine Nega Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    I won' t like it if they touch PT or OT in sake of changes. One thing is when the author who thought the story out does some editions because they want to prefect something that in their opinion needs perfaction and linking. I, for example, am currently rewriting the early chapters of my fanficion, because my writing improved since then, I want to stabilize some things connected with my OCs, and remove OOC that I accidently did due to my inexperience. But another thing is when the author didn' t create the universe and changes something just because they want it so. It' s almost the same as writing a Harry Potter fanfic and making, for example, Snape, horribly OOC without good explanations just because the author wanted so. It no longer feels to be the same universe, it looks totally random and not in place. I think how things are set out in the trilogies now shouldn' t make problems with making sequels. I can stand a little CGI adjustment in order to make things look better( if you hate CGI, I think you should first consider if something is wrong with your opinion. If you think it' s easy, I, as a 3D modeling/ animation hobbyist, can say it' s not. It requires lots of time and patience, and I think you should try it before saying it' s easy. If you' re just nostalgic towards old ways of shooting and 2D, and can' t get used to the new ways, then I can say you' re stuck in the past and accept CGI as a new way of shooting, also accept both genres are equal, and both 2D and 3D deserve respect), or some minor adjustments like Han/ Greedo shooting( I don' t understand why they bitch about it so much, it didn' t change any major events, Alderaan still was destroyed, and so was the Death Star, all the major chars are still alive and the Rebels have won) . But I won' t stand major changes when they will come to overall plot or character development. I like everything as Lucas did, and I think these changes can make characters... Out of character.

9. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    This is dumb question, but uh, what's ST and OT?

10. CrashTheHedgehog100

CrashTheHedgehog100 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2013
    I don't think Disney should alter anything. Well, if the CGI looks dated for the PT in about 10 years then they could change that.

11. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    One of the things that irritates me about Star Wars in general is this constant tinkering with the movies. I generally don't like changing movies at all.

12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    If the new movies are well made, then they won't need to change anything.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    With George having written the story treatments for all three and being a "creative consultant" as well, I really doubt we'll see substantial alterations to any of the films.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No, even if they make the ST contradict the PT and/or OT in some way for whatever reason, leave them and let the contradictions stand anyway.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If they didn't change the line about Leia remembering her mother, or include Qui-Gon in the SEs, I'm not concerned about any PT changes of any real consequence.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I suspect that GL has made sure that they won't make further alterations to the existing films.
    If he were to give the thumbs up, though, I'd be all for it.

- I won't fail again.
    - So certain are you.

/LM

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I wouldn't mind if they still let Lucas make more changes if he wishes to. Maybe they do, we'll have to see...

18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Plagueis San Hill in TPM.

19. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    ST = Sequel Trilogy, OT = Original Trilogy.

Bye for now
    Blackboard Monitor

20. Prodigy_Knight

Prodigy_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2013
    If it's only the opinions of characters aka "a prophecy which misread could have been" I'm ok with it if the do well drastic retcons i.e retconing Qui Gon Jin for example no way in hell.

21. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I'd prefer that Lucas himself make the changes, if any, but if he signed away the rights to alter the films, then that's his choice.

Regardless, I'm perfectly happy with my DVDs and Blu-Rays.

22. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    If it's merely information in the ST retconning the PT, whatever. If it's Disney actively making changes to the PT, or the OT for that matter, then it's absolute ****ing terrible. Lucas the creator altering his films is one thing. But a corporation doing it just to suit their needs is a travesty, and shouldn't be tolerated.

oierem and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  23. Master Elaine Nega

Master Elaine Nega Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    I guess it more depends on the degree of the changes. If it' s just adding CGI effects for more realistic look, then it' s okay. But if it' s some serious editing concerning characters or overall story, it' s really disgusting.

24. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    See, I think any changes from somebody other than Lucas is a really dicey proposition, even if they don't alter characters or story. If you add additional CGI effects, you're necessarily adding more visual content to the films, and film is after all a primarily visual medium. If you come up with new effects, you're probably coming up with wholly new sequences, with new camera angles, compositions, etc. Look at how Lucas himself spruced up the Death Star battle in the special edition of ANH-- there are several camera movements, images and actions that are different not only in technology but in aesthetics and style. Granted, there's only a few in the film overall (compared to fan projects like Adywan's "Revisited" cuts, the special editions are pretty restrained), but they're enough to make a difference on the overall film.

Now. If Lucas is the one making those changes-- no problem. But if it's the suits at Disney deciding that things need to be changed in any of the 6 movies, then it's bull****. Filmmakers get to decide if they want to change their movies, not studios.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I completely agree with this. I wouldn't pay a penny to see an edited version of the saga made by Disney or anyone else other than Lucas.

Lady_Misty likes this.