main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But he should have still had some death on-screen.

I was hoping for it to be with Lupin at Hogwarts, but at least SHOW HIM among the dead Death Eaters and Goblins at Malfoy Manor. Just something... it's just as bad as Saruman's death being left out of Lord of the Rings.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Theatrical version it was left out but his death was shown on screen in the EE

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I know.

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Just finished The Philosopher's Stone for the trillionth time, and I just now realized this:

Hagrid says that the unicorn they're trying to find is the second that is attacked, and that the last kill happened earlier that week. But if Voldemort needs that blood to survive, why does Quirrell have to kill just two during the year, and so late? Well, Quirrell looked more nervous and pale as the time rolled, and it wasn't all just an act. He was really sick. As Voldemort told in the fourth book, every one of his snake hosts would die after a while, and that was what was going to happen to Quirrell. They were close to getting the stone, but Voldemort must have known that Quirrell wouldn't survive whatever guarded the stone in his weakened state. That's why he made Quirrell to kill an unicorn and drink its blood, and since he didn't feel fully strengthened yet, he had to order Quirrell to do it again. That was what Harry heard the day before the forest trip:
    "No – no – not again, please – "
    It sounded as though someone was threatening him. Harry moved closer.
    "All right – all right – " he heard Quirrell sob.
    Next second, Quirrell came hurrying out of the classroom straightening his
    turban. He was pale and looked as though he was about to cry.

It could be that all of you already knew this but my mind was blown a little when I got it.

But one question that I have been wondering: Throughout the series we find out three different ways to stop death: The Philosopher's Stone, the unicorn blood and the Horcruxes. The blood and the horcruxes are horrible means, you have to kill someone and your life/soul is cursed. It's heavily implied that fighting your death is unnatural and will only lead to suffering. So why is the Stone an ok method then? Shame we never met Nicolas Flamel and his wife.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Oh, I wish I could attach my Powerpoint final presentation from the "Politics of Mortality" class I had in my senior year of college right now... mine was on J.K. Rowling and her underlying theme of Mortality throughout all 7 books... why did the boards ever get rid of that attachment feature? :p Message me if you want me to email it to you.

Short Version:
    *Unicorn's blood was a terrible method for an unwise goal
    *Horcruxes were a horrifying method for an unwise goal
    *the Stone was a good method for an unwise goal

There are two great Dumbledore quotes on this...
    1. one near the end of Book 1., when Harry wakes up after facing Quirrel in the hospital wing
    2. the other in Chapter 23: Horcruxes in Book 6 (after Harry shows Dumbledore the true memory, they discuss the Stone and many other important things)... this chapter is really the central and defining chapter of the entire 7-book series.

6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I thought it was more on the life being to silly, appearing as he was choking himself to death on screen wouldn't look right or something.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea, that would be a little too gruesome to show on screen so Yates just showed Dobby knocking/killing Pettigrew to replace it

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What happened to Fudge after HBP? What happened to Umbridge?

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Fudge was a adviser and messenger to the Muggle Prime Minister after he resigned from the Ministry of Magic and Umbridge went to Azkaban for her crimes against the Muggles

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So he was in Muggle Britain? He didn't run for it after Voldemort took over?
    Pity about Umbridge only going to Azkaban. She deserved so much worse. What happened to the Dementors?

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    No, he didn't run for it and i agree about Umbridge, she should have been sentenced to death and i believe the Dementors were removed from Azkaban when Kingsley Shacklebolt became Minister of Magic

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably wasn't killed because he was useful in OOTP to his cause? Thought so.

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I thought the thing with Pettigrew in the books was really lame. In PoA, Dumbledore told Harry he would one day be glad he left Pettigrew alive, so I was expecting some big scene. Not much really happened.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sort of glad it ended the way it did. I remember a lot of people speculating that Snape and Pettigrew would sacrifice their lives to help bring down Voldemort. Instead Pettigrew was killed by his new hand from Voldemort after trying to capture Harry and Snape we only saw rarely throughout the book and Voldemort killed him. He did send the sword but no interaction with Harry until the end.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Got a question

Is Hogwarts based on a real castle or was it just a design of a castle that they made for movie

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Hogwarts is a real castle.

17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    See, my friends, how strong a hold the grip of Maria has taken on Everton's once powerful mind.

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hogwarts is real if you believe.

20. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    I liked the subtlety of it.

Dumbledore was right. I guarantee you Harry was glad he let him live. There was some good in Pettigrew, and it allowed Harry to escape and ultimately defeat the Dark Lord.

It would have a made a great scene if done right. The pathetic life of Peter Pettigrew coming to an end in such a sad way could've tugged on the heart a little bit.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Bumping this to ask you all a question.

My son who will be 8 next week, is reading the series, is a little more than halfway through Prisoner of Azkaban and is enjoying it. I said as much to my brother this weekend and my brother said, "Are you going to stop him after that book and make him hold off until he's older to read the darker books?"

My initial answer was no, simply because I know my kid, and if something scares him, he'll put it down or walk away from it. I've let him watch several PG-13 movies, some of which he has liked, some of which he has said "I really don't want to see this" and turned it off.

tl;dr here's the question: Did any of you read the later books (4-7) in elementary school? I'm asking here because I'm too damn old I was 25 when Sorceror's Stone came out so I have no idea what it was like to read these books as a kid.

22. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I was nine when Goblet of Fire came out and I read it then (and each subsequent book as it was released). As a more relevant example, though, my brother had read the the entire series by the time he was eight.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    In terms of violence, I don't think they're that bad compared to most of the stuff he probably sees on TV or through videogames (you do let your kids play your videogames from time to time, right? :p).

The overall impact might not be the same for him though. I guess I found the other books to be "darker" not so much for the deaths as for the oppressive atmosphere the school took on over time. A lot of older readers can relate to that I think (ex: nasty unfair teachers, that aimless feeling you get when adults ask you what you're going to do in life after graduation, O.W.L.'s/standardized tests, learning that the people you most admired and sought advice from are actually standing on a house of cards, etc). A kid of around 8 will likely get the gist of these, but he probably won't be able to personally relate to any of them yet.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, try "several hours a day on days they have no school, homework or swim meets." :p

Good points there.

I'm actually hoping he'll do what I did and re-read them several times, therefore having a read-through when he gets old enough to appreciate these as well. If my sister or my Mom had been the one who asked, I'm not sure I would have given it much thought, because they are far more "ZOMG THE CHILDREN!" than my brother is, and my brother is the one who got me into Harry Potter in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, that's helpful. :)

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I was 8 when Goblet of Fire came out and was fine but not everyone might. OOTP OTOH might not be a good idea. That book is bleak as heck. The darkest in tone.