main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Excuse me good sir but are you accusing me of hating on The Hobbit? You may accuse me of accusing New Zealand of a sordid attempt at world domination, but do not accuse me of hating The Hobbit. Because I happened to love the movie. And if it can be accused of having too many excessive scenes, the same can be said of Lawrence of Arabia and Ben Hur. Some movies are made to be art. They end neither too late nor too early but precisely when they mean to.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, my son and I loved it, and we are definitely looking forward to The Desolation of Smaug.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Desolation of Smaug will be awesome, count on it

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'm sure that millions of insomniacs are looking for an even more permanent cure to their plight after the hope offered by the snore-fest called "The Hobbit."

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Probably need to get your dosage adjusted.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm a fan of jackson's middleearth films so nobody get defensive, but if i ever can't sleep i put on the fellowship of the ring extended edition and without fail i'm out before the hobbits leave the shire.

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I'm one of those who really enjoyed AUJ, but when I watched it a second time, I was out like a light sometime around when the Dwarves started throwing dishes around. Then I woke up when the music swelled as Bilbo was running through the Shire with that contract flapping from his hand. "Oh, good, interesting stuff starts now."

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    That part was awesome

9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    So. Comparisons between The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and Lawrence of Arabia are appropriate. Gotcha.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, The Hobbit was way better.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm starting to see a pattern.

12. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    That's... probably stretching it somewhat. I quite enjoyed AUJ, but honestly I'm still not 100% certain what my overall opinion of the film is; I need to watch it at least once mopre to get a solid idea. Due to lack of funds and a bunch of distractions I haven't gotten the chance to see it since I went on opening night.v But I do remember that while I was enjoying the ride, I didn't get the impression I was watching a masterpiece. It wasn't close to LotR level, certainly, though I was never expecting it to be. While LotR is a brilliant work that's grouped with my personal favorites, I don't think comparing AUJ to a classic that has rightfully been considered one of the best made films ever is quite apt.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I went to see the movie to the cinema twice and I'm too still quite unsure what to make of it. Like you said, it was fun but not anything exceptional.

On one hand it was a very enjoyable film, on the other it has its problems. Length is a minor one. As a big Tolkien nerd I loved the added material from the Unfinished Tales etc, but I don't think there should have been 3 movies for this. It wasn't just long an epic, I got the feeling of some parts being a bit stretched (Misty Mountains). The bigger problem is that the two different story parts have a very different feel to them. The Hobbit is light and childish, as it should be, but then suddenly, we have very serious and dark bits, more LoTR-like. First srs bsns and then Radagast shows up with dried bird faeces on his face. Imo, that combination could have been managed better.
    Lets see what DOS has to offer.

RC-1991 and NYCitygurl like this.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't really get what made them "badass up" some of the original material (like Gandalf cracking a rock in half to defeat the trolls) while at the same time adding puerile stuff like Radapoop and his bunny sled. It's mindboggling.

15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Don't you diss the Badass Bunny Sled of Awesomeness! :mad:

timmoishere likes this.
  16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
  17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm re-reading Silmarillion now, and some interesting points:

- I remember almost nothing of it. The iconic moments yes, but all the names and places have been forgotten. The first two times I read it I didn't have a map.
    - Everybody dies, and they all do it the most epic way possible. Heroic last stands, duels or sorrow, since the main characters are mostly elves they don't have peaceful ends.
    - Eru is a he? What is this sorcery? My language doesn't have gender-specific pronouns so I didn't know Tolkien meant her, I mean him, to be a he. It doesn't really matter since Eru is The One, but I always got a feminine vibe from her-him. Meh, I'm sticking with her in my mind, it just feels better to have the creator be female for once.
    - Eagles! Eagles everywhere. They save Maedhros. They save Fingolfin's body from violation. They save Húrin and Húor.
    - Foreshadowing everywhere. Everyone seems to have a gift of foresight and they give cryptic spoilers of future events.
    - If there ever is an adaptation of the novel, I suggest a multi-season TV-series. And start the first episode with elves already on Valinor, that's the point where myth becomes history and the important elves can be portrayed as the main characters immediately.

18. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    But with a prequel of the creation and such at some point, please?

19. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    looking forward to playing this habbit film on my big-screen tv as i bleed out.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I thought it was all history.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Hopefully we get a trailer for DOS soon!

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    If they're going to release it soon and attached to a movie, I'd think it would be Star Trek or Iron Man. It would reach wide audiemces who would likely be into it, and I can't think of any fantasy films coming out this summer.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Here is a clip from Desolation of Smaug

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So nobody's favorite Doctor Who is in DOS as well?

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Isn't that brilliant?