main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    We got the expected semi-finalists but the only team who didn't had any trouble with their quarter-finals was also the team who had the toughest opponent. Kind of hard to imagine Bayern Munich not winning this (not counting dodgy refereeing of course).

yankee8255 likes this.
  2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I think alot of that was that Juve were vastly overrated. Very well managaed side, but compare their front 4 to that of the 4 semifinalists. Nothing approaching the likes of Messi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Özil, Robery, Robben, Müller, Götze or Reus. Very dependant on Prilo cutting open the opposition with his passing from deep. Don't even have someone like DiNatale on the national team.

3. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    So yankee, are you crossing your finger for an all German final on English soil?

4. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Most certainly. Not so confident about Dortmund progressing, even if they play Madrid again -- they seem spent, espcially Reus, their lack of depth having really taken its toll. More than anything I'd like to see them against Barca in the semi, has the potential for the most open, offensive matches. I think Bayern would handle Real fairly easily, tbh.

5. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    TBH I think the only way for Real to get in the final is by drawing Barca. :p

Anyway Benfica are in semi-final, that was way to close for comfort. They were comfortably in control till that Newcastle goal completely changed the match I honestly though Newcastle would pull of a Dortmund by scoring the winning goal in the last minute but it was Benfica who scored instead. :)

*no nails left*

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Adebayor penalty fail

7. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Fenerbahce vs Benfica
    Basel vs Chelsea

I'm really glad Benfica avoided Chelsea, here's hoping Basel pulls off another upset. :)

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    2nd best draw for Chelsea. Good to have the 2nd leg at home.

9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Bayern-Barca
    Dortmund-Real.

Big question for Bayern is how well they cope without Mandzukic in the first leg.

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I predict a Barca-Dortmund final

11. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I was at the game last night. Was as you described, and the benfica goal came out of nowhere. Everyone just started clapping and then walked out. Game well and truly over.

Darth_Omega likes this.
  12. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I'm going for Dortmund vs Bayern.

13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Me too. i'd really like Bayern's chances if Mandzukic weren't suspended. Even still, I think they're more solid back to front than Barca. In a way, better to face them now, over two legs, rather than a one-off in the final where Messi could kill you with 1 or 2 bits of magic.

For the other semi, Dortmund match up very well against Real, a bit concerned about Dortmund's fitness, though, and I never like having to face the same team again in the group and knockout stages.

Darth_Omega likes this.
  14. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    halibut likes this.
  15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Awesome story.

16. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
  17. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Last year was glorious.

18. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Go Dortmund.

Hearing some rumours of United having already paid an advance fee for Falcao, just like they did with De Gea. Another striker is definitely not what we need; I could only imagine this would be the end of Rooney.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  19. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    I can't believe he'll be 28 this year. Next summer it will be 10 years since he's gotten a goal in an international tournament. lol

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That's an awesome picture, GR. I wonder why Munich has slanty eyes though..

I've been holding out hope that the Blues could land Falcao, but if not, and with it looking more and more like Cavani is going to Madrid (if he leaves Napoli), the possible attacker list is narrowing. Perhaps the solution is just to keep Lukaku. But that's not as exciting.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd rather we pay advanced fees for some midfielders

22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    In addition to an all-German final, I'm rooting for Dortmund to then win it, snatching the treble from Bayern at the last, most painful moment. This causes Ulli Höness's big fat red head to explode, with Klopp, Reus and Götze dancing on the remains.

epic and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Wait, weren't Dortmund defending Bundesliga Champions going into this season's CL? Why would Munich laugh at a team they have lost out to for the last couple of seasons?

Chelsea were having a bad season when they won the CL and weren't defending league champions either, good reason for them to be mocked by other bigger European teams.

yankee8255 likes this.
  24. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    I fear a Barca/Madrid final has already been arranged.

EDIT: also, how is the final at Wembley again after such a short time? What the selection criteria?

25. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    He scored in Euro 2012.