main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    So this Harvey kid is pretty good.

Point Given likes this.
  2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Absolutely brutal call just ended the Rangers/Rays games. Robot umpires can't get here soon enough.

Amazing.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Just in case anyone missed it, this is what AmazingB was referring to. It's probably the worst strike call I've ever seen, definitely the worst game-ending.

[​IMG]

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    At least that call didn't ruin a perfect game. Also, one of my favorite things to do each season... Marlins attendance watch! For Monday's home opener: 34, 439. Last night: 14,222. Of course, that's going by the official numbers released, so it can skew lower for a lot of games.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    My favorite pastime is to follow the stats of former Mets.

6. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    The Marlins need to seriously move out of Miami. They screwed the fans over royally by building a dumb ballpark and unless they get extremely lucky and start winning then I don't see the long-term value of having a franchise there.

DarthTunick likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Hey!

The Indians aren't going to give up a crap ton of homers to the Yankees tonight!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

[face_plain]

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    All these awesome things keep happening at Astros games. First, the big guy with the excellent mustache, now this:

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    This one's better:

heels1785 likes this.
  11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    So the Dodgers just took 2 out of 3 in San Diego, which normally wouldn't be much to talk about, however...

http://mlb.mlb.com/cutfour/index.jsp#contentId=44552904

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/...-brawl-zack-greinke-hits-carlos-quentin-pitch .

The likely suspensions (for Kemp & Hairston) are no big deal, but Grenike's collar bone fracture? ****! Quentin, needless to say, has to get suspended because of this, and Mattingly has suggested that he should be out for however long Grenike is out. Of course, that won't happen. Such drama, which will get even juicier come this Monday, because guess who begins a 3 game series at Dodger Stadium that evening? The Padres! Yup. Scully's best quote throughout the fracas, describing what Kemp was saying... "That's fertilizer.". Oh, San Diego would go on to tie that game later on in that inning, with the tie eventually being broken up in the top of the 9th via a pinch hit home run for the Dodgers, courtesy of... Juan Uribe!

[​IMG]

For such a crazy game this early in the season, Uribe's home run made perfect sense.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Shoot. I was listening to the game and fell asleep right as Scully signed off at the end of the 3rd. Looks like I missed the best part.

13. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I guess Greinke hit Quentin one too many times and he finally had enough of it. They have a history going back to the American League.

14. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    It's the ownership, not the city of Miami. The other owners need to put heat on Loria and find some way of getting him out of the game. He's terrible for baseball.

As long as he owns the team, it doesn't matter where they would move to. And besides, I can't think of any other market that doesn't currently have a team that would have the corporate backing to support a major league franchise right now.

15. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It seems to me that if you're consistently among the league leaders in getting hit by pitches, you lose the moral high ground in charging the mound (such as it is). But it was also pretty stupid of Greinke to lower his shoulder into a charging, 240-pound Carlos Quentin.

Amazing.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Matt Kemp decided to do some follow up work in the parking lot, it looks like.

[​IMG]

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Who does he think he is? Melo?

18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It'll never happen but I kind if agree with Mattingly. He should miss as much time as Greinke. It wasn't on purpose. It was a 3-2 count in a one run game.Quentin likes to crowd the plate and takes a lot of HBP

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I kind of have to agree, there should be a lot more punishment than 3 - 5 games when a player gets hurt in a brawl like that.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

At least he leaned in with his non-throwing arm. That should count for something, right? :p

DT421: It's a shame how a franchise with barely any support & with a scumbag ownership is playing a brand new stadium, whereas the other Florida MLB franchise, one with a legit team & fans, is stuck playing in the worst ballpark in all of baseball.

21. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Yanks just got a triple play.

heels1785 and DarthTunick like this.
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    First triple play at Yankee Stadium (old) since 1968.

23. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    That's just it though, Miami will support the Marlins if they could just get the owner to meet them half-way. There is just too much of a history of them dumping the roster and that has helped to alienate what would otherwise be a great fan base.

And the Rays need a new place in Tampa proper. I know some fans down there and they said that they just don't want to make the trek to St Petersburg to see a game... especially in a terrible venue like the Trop.

24. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Are you sure about that? Didn't they give the Marlins lousy support during both of their World Series runs?

Darth McClain likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    IIRC, the fan loyalty really started dwindling when the Marlins ownership and players started griping about the fans lack of support.