main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    About the Acc's combat capabilities:

Based off Republic Commando and Empire at War, at least some Accs were redesigned as long range missile ships. Maybe this is what we see when they show up in space in TCW?

Also, it kind of reminds me of those World War 2/Korean war landing ships that have all those rockets. I wish I could remember what they are called.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    LSM(R), or Landing Ship Medium (rocket). Used in the later stages of the Pacific campaign.

--Adm. Nick

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    These guys, LTCR? I always remember seeing them as kid, probably watching Victory at Sea, and wondering what they were called.

4. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Yes, those are them. Thanks for the help. (And hey, someone else who watched Victory at Sea as a kid)

darthscott3457 likes this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Two weeks without a post? My God, the Sequel Trilogy better get here soon. That, or Legacy Mk. 2.0 better start showing us the Galactic Federation Triumvirate Navy. Star Wars #4 comes out this week, so maybe we will get some additional cool shots of the Alliance Navy or the Imperial Starfleet.

--Adm. Nick

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    We could converse about freighter designs, which would keep us busy for a while. [face_batting]

7. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm perfectly busy...modeling various ships. Working on a Vic-Star right now.

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    You so need to model one with CSA or Tapani battle colors. :D

9. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    CSA? Confederacy right? Simple enough to do. I could always post the completed product in here if wanted :p

EDIT: This is what I have so far:

[​IMG]

Working on the hangar right now. I'm also trying to keep this as close to the original concept art as humanly possible. No 'mini-ISD with wingz' here :p

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Corporate Sector Authority, they apparently bought several hundred VicStars from the Empire. :)

11. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I literally just remembered that :p

12. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Gorefiend likes this.
  13. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Release the Kraken!

Gorefiend likes this.
  14. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Bah. "giant" space kraken is small fry compared to a proper Void Whale from 40K.

16. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Or the space grazers...

Btw, I want this to be the fate of one of the Executor-led expeditions the Empire sent into the Unknown Regions. :p

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  17. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    What do you think happened to the Intimidator? :p

18. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    As I said about halfway up this page...since we have no good views of the Vic-Star, I took it upon myself to make a model of one as close to the original concept art (that became the VSD) as possible. This is the result in Republican colors.

[​IMG]

(don't mind the bumpy parts...I'm only partway into detailing the terraces and the trench)

Since is the Fleet Junkie thread, I also put a lot of thought into the weaponry. Canonically, the Vic-II (what this is) has 20 dual-heavy turbolasers. I take that as meaning 20 barrels, as the idea of twenty dual heavy turrets on a Vic seems a bit much. So I decided on eight turrets, of ISD-I design. A close-up of said turrets is this:

[​IMG]

With the Clone Wars in full swing, I figured that standardizing was probably common, so these are only slightly modified from an Imp-I's guns. Though these are smaller and weaker...to fit that a Vic has weaker weapons, in addition to fewer of them. The placement is due to the terraces being smaller on the Vic concept, and the fact that two 'circles' on the wing look like they could be gun emplacements.

You'll notice on the bridge something different though...no sensor globes. Since you can't see any in the concept, I decided to wing it and go for sensor domes. Its different, and I think it fits since the Vic isn't a KDY design (or at least mostly not KDY designed).

Finally, we have the engine set up:

[​IMG]

Again, as close to the concept as possible, with the exception that I added two 'flank' engines, as this is a Vic-II and I'm rationalizing the engine set-up on the concept as being a Vic-I (with how small and clustered the engines are).

Incidentally, I'm posting this in here since I figure if anyone can appreciate a Vic model, its my fellow Fleet Junkies :D

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That would be awesome.

20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Exactly! [face_party]

I like it! It's how the sensor system is on the Nebula/Endurance, as per FS's models.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Are we hoping for this version to displace the "official" WEG version- or is it more a "what WEG should have done" idea, or simply an entertaining thought experiment?

22. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Official sources already published half a dozen Victory variants by now, one more couldn't hurt.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Cantwell-class Star Destroyer, myself. ;)

23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah, this is more just a 'hey, I wonder what a Vic that's based completely off the concept would look like' thing. I'm not expecting to displace anyone since I'm not that good of a modeler :p

24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
  25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I think both of those 3D models were done for the WotC Star Wars TCG. The Carrack definitely, as that is the exact angle as on the card.