main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How would you feel if Steven Spielberg directed VIII or IX?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Feelicks, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    I personally think his directing style would very well compliment a Star Wars movie, there's many greta direcotrs out there that could take the helm for the next two episodes, but I'd love to see Spielberg at least take the helm of either VIII or IX.

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm too focused on Episode VII to worry about Episode VIII or IX. He'd be great but it's really too early to talk about directors for those films. We don't even know if J.J. is going to return or not.

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Rather get digested by the sarlacc... the guy pretty much single handedly killed Indy IV

Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Lets see how episode 7 is. If JJ does a good job then I'd love it if he returns. If Lucasfilm wants to do the whole "new director each film" then sure Spielberg. But I dont trust him after the events of Indie :p

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Took the words right off of my keyboard.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I think he'd be an excellent choice. He's friends with GL, and if I'm not mistaken, he did some of the cinematography for the duel at the end of ROTS, so he has prior involvement with SW. It would be like "the circle is complete" kind of thing.

Plus Spielberg practically guarantees Williams scoring.

Feelicks likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    However, Spielberg has already denied any involvement in the new Star Wars movies (It think the quote was something along the lines of "No, that's not my genre, that's my best friend George's genre").

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    At least you were in before the lock. :p

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Spielberg concocted the life-raft-out-the-plane gag, the mine-car-track-jumping gag, the flaming-cockpit-down-the-tunnel-with-an-astonished-pilot gag, the lead-lined-(and-apparently-cushioned)-fridge gag, and reportedly a sizable portion of the largely silly Vader-Kenobi duel, so...

I DISLIKE THIS IDEA IMMENSELY.

Sith-Mullet, Ryus and Darth Claire like this.
  11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Spielberg approaches action sequences in these films like pre-80s James Bond movies, yet modern audiences just aren't too accepting of that to enjoy it the same as in the past.

12. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    He also said he was done with any type of adventure films after Indy 4

13. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see myself enjoying the film if he made it. He's good friends with GL so I'd trust he would do a good job.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually, the whole idea of them having an epic duel on a fiery lava planet was his idea.

15. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Wasn't that revealed in the ROTJ novelization back in 83? So Spielberg thought that up back then?

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Not as far as I know; I don't think the whole planet was planned to be lava-spewing back then, I think it was just that Obi-Wan pushed him into lava somewhere. I got that from Lucas's discussions with his employees on the bonus material from the DVD of ROTS; he talks about having a discussion with Spielberg (at the time) and Spielberg giving him the idea. One of his employees says (alluding to the idea) "That's good." Lucas says (somewhat arrogantly) "Well yeah, he's good, that's why I ask him."

17. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Then I suppose it was only fair that Spielberg did get to direct that duel! And Lucas deserves to be a bit arrogant, he's Geroge Lucas ^_^

bibfortuitous and Lee_ like this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Fully agree with both sentences.

Seagoat likes this.
  19. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Not a great idea. Indy IV was the biggest load of horse crap that ever was. If you want to kill the franchise let him direct it.

Ryus likes this.
  20. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I'm a huge Spielberg fan, and love the vast majority of his films...but, no. The new films need to 'boldly go' in new directions. It's part of the whole 'passing of the torch' paradigm that's been trumpeted since the ST was announced. I think his comments on the matter have been clear - he has no desire to become involved with Star Wars, and I agree with his decision.

And also...
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/spielberg-is-not-directing-enough-talk-about-him.50005862/

21. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I wouldn't mind giving Spielberg a shot he did good with his little imput on ROTS. I think he would do a great job.

22. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Dude, he's past his prime, and don't let Michael Bay touch it either.

Ryus likes this.
  23. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    While I would welcome a Spielberg-directed Star Wars movie, I think we need to look forward to the likes of Alfonso Quaron, Duncan Jones, Brad Bird etc.

24. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I think he could do a good job, maybe. Honestly, I haven't seen a movie I enjoy by him since......

Darth kRud likes this.
  25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    One look at Lincoln and Tintin will show you Spielberg is by no means "past his prime". He's still a master film-maker, with a fine, sure touch for dramatic material and a flair for thrilling adventure.

But his sensibilities are all wrong for Star Wars. The kind of big, comical gags that work so charmingly in Tintin do not work in live action. See any Indiana Jones film after Raiders for support of this claim. He's unable or unwilling to make the kind of realistic-seeming action-adventure that he once, in 1980-81, crafted with such aplomb. Now it's all huge, fantastical set-pieces, EG three giant waterfalls in which no one gets muddy or tussled. Star Wars has to have a semblance of realism or the material falls flat of its own weight and implausibility.

Spielberg can do drama or he can do juvenile adventure, but he can no longer do both in one film.

Ryus likes this.