main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #4: In The Shadow of Yavin, part 4 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They even love to defenestrate people. Just ask Mace and Luke [face_batting]

2. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    oh :oops:
    for some reason I assumed that was a hangar they were in... but now that you mention it that thing looks too small for a fighter to fly through anyway. Stupid me.

3. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    If you check the next page you see that it is apparently the mess hall as there are people with food trays walking arround behind Prithi. :)

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Windows eh? What will they think about next? Railings?

cthugha and Zorrixor like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Surely you jest!?

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I was looking at A Death Star is Born to find the railing joke, and noticed that the Imperial symbol in the Throne room has the mickey ears on it. As does the shuttle landing pad. And it has the USS Enterprise. Kind of funny how the jokes became the truth.

Per ADSiB, Railings do exist, but to install them would increase the projected cost of the Death Star by 36%

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Obviously they could only afford railings in the Emperor's throne room on DSII, to do that on DSI would have put them way over budget.

8. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I'm not sure I quite got the last few pages of this issue. Seemed to jump around a bit with panels where I wasn't sure where they were taking place. Like with the Slave I, for example. I'll have to reread.

Ben Burtt had to fall over something.

9. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    The Death Star's guidance counsellor told the Admiral that he needed to assert himself more if he was ever going to earn the respect of his employers. Let me see. *Flicks through his Imperial personnel records* Ah! The advice was given by Guidance Counsellor Jerjerrod before he was subsequently promoted to- Oh...

10. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    And next you'll probably tell me it was Piett that advised Ozzel where to come out of hyperspace in relation to Hoth.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Swing by my LCS today to pick up my copy. Comments below!
    • The opening scene with Han & Chewie was perfect. I loved the banter, loved the reference to Wedge's briefings & Golan battle stations, and thought it was cool to see the 1313-style Coruscant cops, as well as the fact that even on Imperial Center there are Coruscanti organizations not under the direct control of the Empire. I couldn't figure out why they didn't use the quad guns, but seeing Chewie use an uber-bowcaster to knock down some TIE's was rather fun.
    • MON MOTHMA. I absolutely love how Wood's is writing her character. I love that she is tough and resilient. This is EXACTLY how I would expect the leader of the Alliance to Restore the Republic to act. The line about "Every breath I draw is in rebellion to the Empire" is easily one of the coolest lines ever. Her interaction with the Mon Cal bridge officer was fun. For a second I thought it might be Commander Ackbar...
    • Speaking of the Mon Cal officer, he was perfectly in character with how Mon Cals were described back in the old WEG days. By the book, followers of protocol, but ultimately 100% devoted tot he Rebel cause. I loved the "Give 'em hell, pilots" line at the end as the Mon Cal stares off into space.
    • The Alliance Navy. Great shots, love seeing Home One, and I am slowly getting used to the strange decision to show the fleet with a green hue. Though, in a later panel, the fleet is shown in more traditional gray, so I guess the artist just likes to mix things up. Not a lot of clearly recognizable warships besides Home One and the Redemption, but I am starting to see a pattern in D'anda's ships, including a pair that look akin the wingless MC80 variant and a Gallofree/Mon Cal-esque looking pair of ships that have two engines.
    • "I'll never forget". What a haunting and powerful line from Wedge. Perfectly in character, plus it ties to the obvious distress he felt in having to pull out of the trench run. Wedge, alongside Mon Mothma, is one of the unexpected stars of this new series. Unexpected in that both character are getting viewed in a new light, which is refreshing and awesome.
    • Kuati designer Birra Seah. She was very fascinating. I am not sure why, but I get a strange vibe from her. I think there is more to her than meets the eye.
    All in all, another fantastic issue and I cannot wait for the next one!

--Adm. Nick

themetresgained and kataja like this.
  12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    IIRC, Piett did wait to bring up the Rebel base until Vader was around to show up Ozzel.

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Though Veers is the one that actually got Ozzel killed, which might actually have been more intentional then not, after all his Troopers would be the ones who now got to face a much harder battle because Ozzel had messed up.

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I, too, was quite interested in the character. When I finished reading that issue, the first thing I did was write her character article on Wookieepedia. Somehow, I was under the impression that she and Vader actually knew each other before that meeting. After all, the Dark Lord calls her "Birra" when they're alone. Not "Engineer Seah," not "Seah." He actually uses her first name. Somehow, I was under the impression that their claiming they had never met before was just an act. Am I the only one who has felt it? (Additionally, she actually interrupts Vader while he was trying to say something about "that display..." If Vader allows you to interrupt him, then you've got to mean a lot.)

15. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Good issue and I'm liking this series but...I don't know. It seems like not a lot happens in each issue. Most characters get 4-6 pages and we just get snippets of what is going on.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think this arc will read a lot better as a TPB. Even I had to think over what that Slave I panel meant.

That said, one might see it as a throwback to the early Marvel issues where they were doing quick cutaways to what Luke was doing even while the main story was focused on what Han was doing.

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Very interesting observation. I too got the impression that they were familiar with each other or at least have some instinctive understanding of the others mind. For all we know they could be friends or might even have had a fling at some point in the past.

18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    There probably is more to her than meets the eye. However, I'm not too fond of the whole "Remember the New Guy" trope; you known, when a previously unmentioned character appears out of the blue and we're told that he/she was there all along.

19. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    On the Timeline issue I have a clue: just finished Choices of One and in it the Empire decides where to build DS2. This is supposedly 8months ABY. Now in this series DS2 looks like its 1/2 done (or more) so on my bookshelf I'm placing it after Aliegience/Choices of One and the Empire/Rebellion series. Gotta give them some time to build the thing.

Am I totally nuts?

Edit- I'm not thrilled with how seemingly far along DS2 is. It looks almost as it did in ROTJ. Did they have another labor dispute???

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Death Star Video Board Game events might help somewhat (or maybe just complicate things) since that establishes the DS2 was moved to Endor. So maybe COO is them choosing where they're going to tug it to for construction to continue at? It would explain why the exterior seems so far along.

But, of course, that would add complications with the superlaser's level of completion, the rebel attack, the involvement of Kyle Katarn, Shira, etc, since it used to be set closer to ROTJ...

21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Its pretty obvious that head jewel girl is force sensitive and contacting Vader that way.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Not to justify the DS situation as it's being presented, but it's very reasonable to assume that it's only like 5-10% completed--it's the shell, not any of the honeycomb innards or the serious weapons and life support tech. Think about the area of a sphere's surface versus the sphere's volume.

dewback_rancher likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree- that's the only way to explain it's appearance. The insides took longer to build than the insides.

Or that could explain the unfinished looking exterior- they spent the first few years building a shell and the guy in charge was all like "Oy! Stop that and get workin' on them there innards!" and that brings us to ROTJ.

dewback_rancher likes this.
  24. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well yes, I certainly won't deny it. Although she denies it. When Vader mentions how strong she is in the Force, Birra Seah pretty much dismisses that comment. That would be quite logical, since the Empire was hunting down Forceful individuals in order to prevent the... the return of the Jedi (excuse the pun).

However, even that doesn't quite explain why Vader behave so familiar and casual with her. Vader definitely isn't the type who calls his subordinates by their first name, especially when he meets them for the first time and when they're older. (At the time, Vader is about 41-42 years old, while that Birra Seah looks like she's more than 50.)

What troubles me more is the fact that the DS is already orbiting Endor so early in the timeline. Sergent Pfilbee Jhonr's official survey of the Sanctuary Moon alludes to the Battle of Hoth (3 ABY). Why on Earth would the Emperor wait so long to launch an expedition to that moon when the construction has been oingoing above it for three whole years? Additonally, that would mean the Empire was present around Endor when the Towani family crashed there. Why didn't they even inquire, then?

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Because he wanted to set up more structures down on the planet? Per several sources a bunker was already in place a few weeks after Yavin, possible even earlier.

Stuff apparently keeps crashing on Endor every other week, most of the “native” species are in fact stranded remnants of former ship crashes.