main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Things you didn't like about AOTC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I didn't like the dialog in romance scenes with anakin and padme

I also really would have liked to have seen more character development out of the more minor jedi characters

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think his problems in AOTC go much deeper than mere teenage growing pains, though. He's being haunted by visions of his mother dying and he can't do anything to help her because he is training as Jedi. I always loved that Anakin has this facade of cockiness and arrogance but deep down I think he feels helpless. There are a few scenes in the film where he lets his guard down and we can see his insecurity (the balcony scene comes to mind and he quickly puts the facade back up when Obi-Wan tries to comfort him.) I think this is where a lot of his frustrations come from and I think it is why he reaches out to Padme who is a person who showed him that she cared about him.

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't like that NSync's cameo was cut out

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Ah, AOTC...the one prequel I can't embrace. 50 percent inspiration; 50 percent exasperation.

Specifics:

-Christensen's lascivious, stalker-glare as he says "Sorry, m'lady." (Seriously, get a restraining order, Padme.)

General:

-Some of the incredibly-cumbersome-even-for-Star-Wars dialogue (e.g., the political "debate" between Anakin and Kenobi as they safeguard sleeping Padme).
    -The entire last act, which looks and unfolds like a bloody video game.

V-2 likes this.
  5. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    THAT is something that I've hated. What was meant to be an epic battle and beginning of a great war turned into a giant army of droids vs Jedi and clones, which is pretty much every Star Wars video game that is related to AOTC. I have no clue how that could have been fixed or if that idea was just going to end up being a video-game-looking-scene inevitably.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

That was the main problem with the Clone Wars conflict as portrayed by the films, it was just disposable people fighting. Droids VS Clones, both beings made to die.

Dredalus likes this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I rather like droids vs clones, both beings made to die. On top of being entertaining, it makes sense to me.

To answer the question of the thread, basically everything before Kenobi gets to Kamino.

8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It shows the Jedi to be unethical. That they choose to use such an army, to allow something like that. They had a choice. They aren't solders as they like to say, why go along with that? Why not tell the Senate that they object to the war and not participate? What was really at stake? That Dooku had convinced star systems to secede from the republic? OK, let them.

The Jedi are unethical. And they are fools, played like a fiddle by Palpatine

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The separatists are building an army which Dooku specifically says will be used against the Republic. The Republic has no army to defend themselves with other than the clones.

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    But again, the fight is over secession. Just allow it. Dooku loses the ability to find backing for a war once there is no reason to fight.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    But that is not the Jedi's call. It's the Senate's and Palpatine (who is the person who wants the war) controls the Senate.

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The Jedi's call is their involvement,or lack of involvement in the war. They are not soldiers, they went along with this by choice. They could have said that this is wrong and we won't be a part of it.

They are unethical

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    But then the Republic would have been overrun by the separatists and there is no telling what atrocities would be a result of that. I really don't see how that is any more ethical.

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The republic could have used the army without the Jedi. Or they could have just allowed secession. Either way, the Jedi were complicit essentially using test tube babies bred to do nothing but serve the government and die on their behalf. You justify that if you wish, I'm comfortable calling them unethical.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I wouldn't call it ethical at all just saying that abandoning the galaxy which they have sworn to protect isn't much better. They're left with two pretty crappy options and they decide to defend it the only way they can. I personally don't think that makes them fools. Palpatine knew they wouldn't abandoned the galaxy and he placed them into an impossible situation.

16. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    So it's not ethical, but you take issue with it being called unethical........................

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I never said I took issue with the unethical part of your statement. You said they were fools for leading the clone army and I just wanted to point out that they didn't have much of a choice. Both options are pretty bad.

18. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I think, overall, the problem with the clones is that using them wasn't ethical, but there was hardly an ethical choice to be made in the Jedi's situation. They were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

They could refuse to use the clones, but then what? The Separatists would overrun them. Plus, if the Republic didn't take the clones, what exactly would the Kaminoans have done with them? They certainly aren't going to feed and house them for free. In all likelihood, then, the clones would have been sold to someone else --likely the Separatists. Or perhaps just "euthanized" outright if the Kaminoans couldn't turn a profit on them.

Then, of course, there's the fact that the Jedi are sworn to defend the Republic and they likely would have been branded traitors for refusing to fight.

All in all, though, the Jedi paid a heavy price for using the clones -- they were wiped out by them in Episode III. So I hardly think the films are portray their use as a good or ethical thing. That's my take on it anyway.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh wait, I just thought of a serious one.

I HATE that the eletric guitar in "Chase Through Coruscant" was removed. That would have been perfect for when they fly through the power couplings...

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Ah, it's the fools part you take issue with. I see. Well, they blindly accept this army created under at best questionable circumstance. They blindly charge into this war without questioning the motivations behind the two sides.

Literally every choice they make is the wrong one. They are a clown college.

Chainmail_Jedi likes this.
  21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They could have had the strength of conviction and abstained from involvement in the war, even at the cost of personal risk .They are not soldiers. Aren't the Jedi supposed to be selfless? Now we justify their actions by saying that a regime, lead by an evil ruler none the less, possibly branding them trators justifies unethical action?

22. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Their allegiance is to the Senate and the head of the Senate.

And, truthfully, I think the Jedi saw it as their duty to defend the Republic. And thus they compromised their ideals. They later paid for it heavily.

You say "they are not soldiers" and this is what the movie itself points out -- "We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers." When they tried to fit into that role, it led them into disaster.

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That justifies breeding people to die on the battlefield? That they answer to the Senate?

24. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Do you not think fighting to defend your home is a selfless action? I'm sure the Jedi would have seen it that way. That if the clones were going to go out there and fight no matter what that the Jedi would be better served out there helping them rather than staying behind safely in Coruscant. That doesn't make it right, but sometimes there are no good choices -- there are only bad choices and worse choices.

In the long run, yes, the Jedi should have abstained from the war and fought for more diplomacy. But I can also see how they saw it as their duty to defend the Republic to which they had sworn their allegiance.

The PT is about the fall of the Republic and the Jedi. People and institutions don't crumble due to exterior threats. It's the internal weakness that proves fatal.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Read that in it's context. I said that excusing their actions because they could have been branded as traitors doesn't fly for a group that considers itself selfless

Using that army is unethical. I do give you credit that you are at least willing to point to the faults in the Jedi order. Some fans won't do that.