main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Dexter Jettster...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Apr 12, 2013.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Other than Jar-Jar, I think Dex is the worst character in the saga. His CGI wasn't very well done. And he's got that demeanor that's supposed to be..."funny?"...to the kiddies, like how Jar-Jar was supposed to be. There's no explanation of his connections with Obi Wan or the Jedi, and there's no explanations of why out of all people Dexter is the one who knows the dart and where the dart came from (Kamino). I mean really, even if the archives in the Jedi Temple were wiped clean of Kamino by Dooky, there's got to be some other place that has records of it. Or at least a navcomputer. I think that whole scene, along with awful Jettster, was very poorly written and not very well thought out.

Dredalus likes this.
  2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The only explanation that we really need is that he's friends with Obi-Wan and that he knows more about 'scum and villainy' than the Jedi do. He came in, did his job, and exited the scene.

I enjoyed the character, and thought the whole diner thing was a nice touch.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's one of my absolute favorite scenes in AOTC. I love the design of Dexter and the environment of the diner is wonderful. Not every character needs an extensive backstory and for me it's fun to imagine how someone like Obi-Wan met someone like Dexter.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Appears for a couple of minutes

"I HATE HIM" [face_devil]

Sums up other fan's feelings :p

darthbarracuda likes this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think generally the kiddies are going to go for things like, you know, farm boys turned kingdom heroes more so than greasy 50s diner owners. Anyways I think Dex is a classic Star Wars mash-up character--part noir bartender who's seen it all, obvious nod to Lucas's American Graffiti roots, and in another respect just a mundane four armed alien working class kind of guy. Lucas said all along that AOTC was a different kind of Star Wars film, and although of course he primarily referred to the stylized courtly romance, I think the film's uniqueness likewise extends its multitude of mundane daily life snapshots. We get quick tours of Padme and Jango Fett's apartment, we see two characters in their respective beds at night, as well as a meal served during a routine transport--I've seen it suggested that pirates should have attacked during this scene, and it seems to me that shoehorning some ESB-style run and gun banter/action here sounds like a great way to rob the Anakin/Padme development here of its quiet effectiveness. Dex and his diner fits in nicely with this "atmosphere of the normal."

Tonyg, Ingram_I, Seagoat and 4 others like this.
  6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It shows Obi-Wan's resourcefulness. He has connections, and doesn't always rely on the Jedi solution. Almost like Qui-Gon.

7. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    He had a role and performed it. At least his character wasn't dragged out like Jar Jar's.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Actually, there is...

9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I think it's interesting to see more of Coruscant than just a few buildings, and the diner just shows us how the majority of people there live (by going to diners, bars, etc.)

lbr789 likes this.
  10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I have no problem with him; it's a nice change of pace from the ominous feel of the Dark Side spreading.

Of course, we still haven't seen the deleted sequence where Kenobi leaves, then a surgeon walks in and asks Dexter about how to treat a mitral valve prolapse on a Wookiee. And getting an answer after slipping Dexter a sawbuck.

11. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I loved the scene in question. In fact, I wish Lucas had ditched the comparatively flavorless macrocosmic material in favor of a two-hour film noir/courtly-love experiment. (And at the end, we find out the japor snippet is the "stuff dreams are made of.")

12. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    If you read The Life and Legend of Obi Wan Kenobi it tells you how Obi Wan and Dexter first meet. I read this exact story last night!

Iron_lord and Ambervikings91 like this.
  13. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    i like it, good scene

14. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    it is interesting people say there is no explanation for certain things just becuz it doesn't happen in the film

ILNP likes this.
  15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I haven't read that story, so I'm at a disadvantage.

16. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    it happens, there is a lot i haven't read myself. So what I end up doing is when there is stuff in SW I don't know I go check it out.

By the way the backstory there isn't terribly interesting lol

ILNP likes this.
  17. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    Some people just think that the movies are the limit, but they are soooo wrong.

ILNP likes this.
  18. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    totally, the EU is totally amazing, really opens up star wars in so many different ways! I totally agree!

Grievousdude and Ahsoka_Tano_11 like this.
  19. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I actually liked the diner scene and old Dex. Trust me, I am one who hates too much CGI, Jar Jar, etc. but I liked the diner, it's atmosphere and the fact that Obi-Wan actually had good friends outside the Jedi order. And that he had a place that he liked to grab some Jawa Juice lol.

20. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I liked Dex. He's like friendly, perhaps a little overly-friendly, and he is very helpful. He's arguably the first (and last) basic-speaking friendly alien we meet in the entirety of the PT who was 'normal' (by our standards). I think meeting such an alien was important to show the entire galaxy isn't composed of humans and weird, non-basic speaking aliens.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved Dex. I liked that Obi-Wan had both a friend and a "source" outside the Order who was able to help him solve the toxic dart problem. Without Dex, the Jedi might have never found out about the clone army.

Ezon Pin, Darkslayer, Davak24 and 2 others like this.
  22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    One of the best side characters in Star Wars. The scene was all the more real and warm due to the live interaction of Ewan and Ron Falk.

23. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Probably because most people who watch the films are casual films unlike us. If we are told, we are not shown, meaning we do not get the feel or reason of a character's actions.

Ahsoka_Tano_11 likes this.
  24. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Just gotta make sure correct references are used. Some people like to pretend they read the books and make something up that supports their opinion.

Ambervikings91 likes this.
  25. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    You know, up until then I was happy believing that there were no actual fat people in Star Wars. I mean, with Jabba I guessed that was just what Hutts look like. With Boss Nass I figured it was a evolutionary quirk like biggest guy is leader or it's a matriarchy and and was some odd sexual dimorphism.

Then Dexter comes in and BAM suddenly Star Wars has fat guys in it. It's not how his species is, he's just fat. Thanks a friggin' lot, George.

Prodigy_Knight likes this.