main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What things from the PT do you want the ST to keep?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by InterestingLurker, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I like the concept of Midichlorians, but I don't think they really need to be mentioned in the ST.

Please no Tatooine, though. Please! Please!

John Williams. Sure, he did the OT, too, but the title doesn't exclude that. :p

Some sort of (being rebuilt) attempt at having Jedi Archives.

Masters and Padawans' interactions.

And plenty I won't think of till editing time's over.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Elan Sleazebagano as a 40 years sober life coach.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ...who tells his story in a sobriety meeting about how some Jedi with a mullet told him to go home and rethink his life.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

"Rethink Your Life" is the holobook he is selling.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Double bladed lightsabers

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    High-speed lightsaber fights? Yes

Lots of big CGI battles? Not tons, but a few yes

CGI aliens? Yes, I think I prefer the CGI ones

Planets like Coruscant and Naboo? Yes, definitely

Parallels to real-world events? Go for it

References to events such as Order 66 or the Battle of Geonosis? Absolutely, continuity is a good thing

...........Midi-chlorians? I don't mind either way, perhaps some new midi-cholorian mystery, a character that doesn't have a high midi-chlorian count but is able to use the Force

Double bladed lightsaber? Hm, movie wise it would make Maul less unique, but in the EU there are several characters with double blades. Perhaps we could have one more character with a double blade only this time a Jedi. Or a character (presumably dark Jedi or Sith) use Maul's blade

7. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Depends on who they make the next films for. Should they make the films for little kids? Should they make something that will produce the most amount of money for Disney, etc? Will what makes money be really cool? Or will it suck because things that make money suck? Because I like things that Joss Weadon makes but they do not always make a lot of money. I want to see Joss Weadon like creativity in the Star Wars films, etc.

Joss Weadon was behind the television series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, and now the Avenger films, and yet some of those series were cancelled. Disney may just favor money over good material. I think some people like Joss Weadon can produce good creative gaw-dropping series but sometimes very cool things like Dollhouse and Firefly get cancelled after a season or two. That is so sad.

8. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Sith and Jedi. That's all. Everything else is secondary. They don't even need a plot. Just make the next three films long drawn out battle scenes between massive armies of sith and jedi. They can CGI the whole thing for all I care...throw Jar Jar into the mix. Just total war. Battleships, death stars, dead ewoks everywhere. No rhyme, no reason. A no holds bar battle royale. Total violence. The who's who of but kicking. Screw it, give C3PO a lightsaber. Younglings, robots or droids or whatever the hell you want to call them going at it. Total bloodlust. Even the plant life can get in on the action. Venus fly traps eating Gungans...while this is all happening another galaxy can be crashing into their galaxy. Maybe all the stars blow up in one giant super nova. Utter nihilism. Luke and Lea kissing each other, Chewy ripping Hans head off. The complete destruction of everything you thought was normal and wholesome and real. Force ghosts kissing and dancing. Maybe the force can manifest as a giant disco ball and play a Bee Gees song while all of this is going on. I'm sending Lucas the script. I bet you were wondering how this post was connected to the Bee Gees. Now you know.

VMeran and Original Oatmeal like this.
  9. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I think you forgot to mention Joss Weadon.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  10. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
  11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

I agree that we'll see more focus on practical effects. We know that the movie Episode VII will closest resemble is Episode IV. Looking forward to it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Prodigy_Knight

Prodigy_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2013
    In principle I don't need anything from the PT to be referenced, the ST is closer to the OT so it logically should be more close to it, the PT allready connects to the OT so it is enough.

It should work like this:

PT influences OT influences ST

What I don't want to see is some OT fanatics trying to retcon or purge the PT, things like "obtw did you know the old Jedi order was stupid and midi-chlorians don't exist?" that is the worst thing they could do.

Sure if the participants are at the height of their power and young I'd expect a more high speed style of combat, IRL to finish the battle faster is better.

Yes I expect battles and aliens and the newest technology for doing them is CGI, I didn't accuse the puppets of the OT of being fake looking and I didn't accuse the PT CGI of being fake looking.

Yes sure why not, it's a big galaxi with a lot of diverse places and Coruscant is the capitol.

Yes please, I like my events relatable.

If they're required and make sense no need to shove them in for their own sake.

13. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    One of the best things about the TPM duels was that there was no dialogue. I really don't understand at all WHY anyone would speak during a duel to the death, when a moments hesitations/dialogue could get you skewered. Maybe once in a very blue moon, or if one combatant vastly outclasses his opponent (Vader vs Luke in ESB) I could get it. But still.

Between skilled opponents, when the lightsabers are ignited, the time for talk is over, and the blades will not be turned off until the enemy is dead or disabled.

Arawn_Fenn and Vthuil like this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Darth Maul had more lines of dialog in the trailer than he did in the entire movie... I agree with what you're saying to a point but still, Darth Maul needed more dialog be it in the fight or else where. To a nonEU fan, they where just left confused as to what he wanted revenge for...

15. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I am not at all an EU fan, but I wasn't confused in the slightest bit. Darth Maul wasn't talking about personal revenge; he merely meant that, at last, the Sith will be able to enact revenge on the Jedi Order that had exiled them into the shadows for thousands of years.

VMeran, Sitara and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Know plenty who where confused, you not being confused isnt proof others weren't

17. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I'd rather see the overchoreographed saber battles nixed in favor of fights that have an emotional subtext between the characters and are gritty, bloody and sinewy. Like Game of Thrones. Even one of the last Brosnan Bond movies had a fight much more engaging and exciting than anything in the prequels.

18. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    IMHO, I do not buy the retcon of "the Jedi/Sith in the OT are old and therefore the duels are slow," and believe the films themselves back me up. When has being old ever slowed any force-user down? Yoda, Sidious, Dooku? And don't give me the line "Obi-Wan and/or Vader haven't been training" because I got the sense that Vader's been tracking down and slaughtering Jedi who escaped Order 66, and Obi-Wan has been doing his homework with Qui-Gon on how to transcend the physical realm (leaving him no stranger to the force, which is where a Jedi gets his lightsaber skills from primarily anyway).

The difference in styles of the duels in the OT to PT are somewhat akin to western (OT) and eastern (PT) martial arts. The PT duels are more showy, as the eastern martial tradition is partially based on the kata, a set series of moves that look impressive but are not directly translatable to combat. OTOH, the ANH duel, as maligned as it is and despite the lack of sophistication of the moves, perhaps represents what would be closest to what a real fight with lightsabers would look like--short, quick motions, that are careful not to leave oneself exposed.

Anyway, what we have going against my POV are Lucas's comments in documentaries and commentaries. However, as much as I respect him (and I am no Lucas basher) I prefer to take what the work presents me with than listening to the admittedly often contradictory and changing statements/justifications, and positions of it's creator. (See also "death of the author" in wikipedia). I think the Star Wars films show many different styles of lightsaber combat, but do not think that the PT show the "Jedi in their prime." To me, an ESB Vader would wipe the floor with a ROTS Anakin. I understand others opinions may vary. I hope the ST shows different styles of lightsaber combat, and shows a careful, measured fighter defeat a fancy-pants one who spins and flips.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Unfortunately we're probably stuck with a PG-13 rating, so there's a limit to how much blood and gore they can do.

20. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Mark Hamill has talked about how he was directed to act as if the lightsaber was heavy, like a broadsword. He was annoyed when he saw the PT people flinging their lightsabers around like they were nothing.

It's true, these were simply two very approaches to the fights.

(edit: I called him Luke Hamill :D :D :D :D)

21. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Not gonna sugarcoat it- pretty much nothing.

kubricklynch likes this.
  22. janstett

May 29, 2004
    Well, I didn't mean literally (and in that respect it was unwise to cite Game of Thrones with its jugular blood fountains). Stress, sweat, injury, fatigue, strategy, all are part of the kind of fight I'm looking for. Not a ballet with glow sticks.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Because **** realism, that's why. This is a movie with magics and therefore you can also have dialogue during fights. In the OT the movements were matched with what was said and it was awesome. Lightsaber swinging in a way accentuated what was said.

24. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    CGI: Quick lightsabre fights like the ones between OBI-Wan, Qui Gon and Darth Maul, Anakin & Obi-Wan, or the fight between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett or Ob-Wan and General Grievous.
    Planets: Mustafar, Utapau, Astroid where Luke & Leia were born
    Characters: Yoda Or Qui Gon Jin in Spirit form
    References to Battles in the Clone Wars.
    Ships: Darth Maul's Ship ( The Sith Infiltrator)

I would actually like to see these characters make some kind of an appearance regardless of how old they might be now: Ahsoka Tano, Cad Bane and Ventress.They all would be about 20 years older than Obi-Wan was in TNH. Imagine all the info that Ahsoka Tano could provide Luke about his farther!
    :eek:

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  25. janstett

May 29, 2004
    What???? Every good fight is not about the fight itself but the conflict between characters, the reasons WHY they are having the fight in the first place. The TPM duels were hyperchoreographed ballets between characters who didn't really care about each other and worse whom the audience didn't really care about fighting for a reason nobody knows or cares about.

Ryus and Darth_Pevra like this.