main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I think, if anything, Vector Prime should be the point of divergence from the sequel trilogy.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Apr 13, 2013.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    We all know Chewbacca is gonna turn up alive in the sequels (its gonna happen, don't even doubt yourself) and I don't think its necessarily a bad thing. The quality of everything after Vector Prime is highly debatable, and lots of questionable developments have been made.

I think everything that takes place between Vector Prime and Return of the Jedi will end up being relatively stable unless that new animated series that was supposedly leaked is actually happening. So, at this point, what if the sequel trilogy takes place in a timeline where the Yuuzhan Vong never managed to get their invasion out of the planning stages?

2. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    This ain't gonna happen, don't even doubt yourself. I agree that Chewie will turn up.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    1. A lot of people sure are sure about what is "sure" to happen, considering we have no information about characters/plot.

2. There will likely be no cut-off point. Either they disregard it all, or accept it all. With some cherry-picking. But there will be no cut-off point.

4. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Of course Chewbacca will be in the sequel trilogy.
    Surely no one actually thinks there's a chance he won't?

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Sounds reasonable to me, even though I love the NJO, it's completely downhill after The Unifying Force.

Throw out Vector Prime and everything after and you get Chewie back plus you could keep everything in between ROTJ and Vector Prime, assuming they care to keep it.

Ryus likes this.
  6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Reboot or no reboot, I actually don't automatically expect Chewie to show up, as the Big 3 won't be the main stars, so there will be no immediate requirement to feature supporting characters like Chewie, when Abrams' focus will be establishing his new protagonists and their own sidekicks, who for all we know will be a talking sentient bunny named Mickey.

S1thari and CeiranHarmony like this.
  7. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    He will have to make a cameo.

bet on it

8. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I also think that Chewbacca will be in the movies if Han's in them.

But the difference is I don't care. Chewbacca died. You can read all about it in a book called Vector Prime and its numerous sequels. Check them out. Learn the facts. Movies can't change historical fact. :p

credar, Ryus, Amon_Amarth and 9 others like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Has anyone at Disney talked to Peter Mayhew?

He'll probably show up and I don't care either; with few exceptions (*coughBarrissOffeecough*) I'm past being upset about retcons. Rendering the books non-canon isn't going to stop me from enjoying the books.

10. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I'm past getting upset about retcons also, but it's because the movies ignoring the books won't stop me from enjoying the movies, if they're any good.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I still don't really get why anyone cares

so the stories won't go together? Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

13. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I've been saying for some months now that the most logical point to break the timelines is at 25 ABY, ie. right before the Yuuzhan Vong show up.

So long as the Solo kids have the right names and ages any hypothetical sequel trilogy events are unlikely to override the events of the Bantam Era within the bounds of modest level so retconning. Honestly, Luke can even marry Mara at the end of Vision of the Future and quietly divorce her before the ST if necessary

The beginning of the Yuuzhan Vong War is a natural break point in the Star Wars timeline, simply because of it's scale - everything is referenced again in relation to the War and you can't set something after it without mentioning it.

It's also worth noting that, from an economic perspective, insofar as there are EU characters who have marketable brands ie. Revan, Mara Jade, Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn, Ahsoka Tano, etc. that only one who's tied up in the NJO is Jagged Fel, and that's even marginal.

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_rofl]

CeiranHarmony, cdgodin and FatSmel like this.
  15. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Where did Jagged Fel come from? He's not marketable at all . . .

Nobody told Del Rey

CeiranHarmony and darklordoftech like this.
  16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Indeed. Bob Iger isn't going to send a platoon of Mousketeers to seize and burn all of our pre-Disney Star Wars novels.

In regards to the original post, I would feel mildly perturbed- being a die-hard NJO fan- but I've also come to accept the possibility of such events.

17. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I hope Chewie comes back, but won't be put off if he doesn't. Not a deal breaker for me.

18. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    Hop down to the Fanfic board for a bit, the results might surprise you...

You laugh, but the post-NJO only functions as it does with the Yuuzhan Vong War as a backdrop, even if it is minimized. Dark Nest is the most obvious. That whole series of events only happens because of the Mission to Mykyr and only matters because the GA military is so depleted it can't swat a regional threat like the Killiks down as they deserve. LotF happens because of all the screwball stuff bouncing around in Jacen's head, which never happens without the Yuuzhan Vong, and the entire Abeloth plotline in FotJ is dependent upon a whole bunch of Jedi kids being trapped in Shelter to avoid the Yuuzhan Vong.

More importantly the Yuuzhan Vong War serves as the formative life experience for Jacen, Jaina, Jag, and pretty much any 'next generation' character important enough to be named. Those characters more or less become who they are (and yes Jacen's character later went through some weird circumlocutions, not really relevant) during the NJO. So an ST that ignores the NJO can easily utilize any of those characters as a blank slate, while one set afterwards really couldn't without fans complaining (as they do indeed complain about what happened to Jacen).

19. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I don't think there has been a casting call for Mara Jade, I don't think the YV was is going to be a break point.

20. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Oh dear god no

21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Hope he stays dead.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think the title of this thread is an extremely popular opinion.

Anyway, a "Thrawn happened, Waru didn't" approach wouldn't surprise me.

Random Comments likes this.
  23. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    Well, it is inevitable that there will be a break point somewhere. Even if that moment is the Battle of Endor.

The reality is we do know something about the ST: we know the original actors will reprise their title roles. Within the limitations of makeup that means the ST is going to happen somewhere in the 20-40 ABY period, with something around 30 ABY being the most likely.

The principle galaxy-spanning plotline of the EU contains a small number of natural breakpoints: the most obvious is the one created by Vision of the Future - the establishment of peace between New Republic and Galactic Empire that fully concludes the great conflict that, in effect, began with Phantom Menace's Trade Federation blockade (or in the EU, slightly earlier). Up until that point the storyline of the post-ROTJ EU was dictated by the circumstances of Return of the Jedi. The New Jedi Order, which picks up the galaxy-spanning plotline - the handful of in-between things like Survivor's Quest and YJK don't really affect galaxy-warping events - takes the story of Star Wars in a completely new direction for the first time after the movies.

This is even codified in the 'publishing eras' scheme used by Lucasfilm - in 25 ABY we move from the New Republic Era to the New Jedi Order Era.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm less a fan of "didn't happen" decrees, I'm more of a fan of "Crisis on Infinite Earths" style mass continuity retcon carpet bombing multi-media style events (think "Shadows of the Empire"). I'd rather see one of those to hammer the EU into a ST-friendly shape than just a webpost that says "BTW, 25 ABY didn't happen. Kthanxsbye"