main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Why is Palpatine so evil?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Graves101, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graves101

Graves101 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 28, 2013
    Even by Sith standards, Palpatine truly stands out as being a complete monster. I mean, he didn't have the greatest childhood, and I thought it was reasonable he killed his father, but he then goes on to callously kill his whole pathetic family to satisfy his rage. His master discontinued the Rule of Two, and genuinely grew attached to Palpatine, but in turn, Palpatine tortured him viciously, and killed him in a pathetically cowardly fashion, which in turn, is against the Sith code of strength. He betrays all of his apprentices, quite literally, and instead of being satisfied with his absolute control of the galaxy, he feels the need to commit genocide, for no reason other than for fun, as Vader once stated.

But in the end, why is he so evil? I mean, Sith are evil, but there are Sith that are just neutral-evil, or past Sith that didn't stretch out like Palpatine.

He's just a completely irredeemable monster.

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to EU Community

3. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Palpatine is perhaps the most powerful Sith who has ever lived. It's his immense connection to the dark side which makes him so evil.

Plagueis wasn't exactly big on the "brave final battle with your master" thing either, didn't he kill Tenebrous by making a tunnel collapse on him?

BultarSwan likes this.
  4. DarthLazious28273

DarthLazious28273 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2013
    He was so smart and very powerful. He even proclaimed himself The Darkside itself once I believe. I also love the fact he had used everyone as his pawn in his rise to power including his own Sith Master Darth Plagueis. This is why he and Vader are my favorite Sith Lords of all time.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    he isn't horrible by sith standards, check out some of the older sith lords in the EU, he is abd don't get me wrong but it isn't like he is in uncharted territory.

6. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I think Exar &Naga were more evil

7. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Rrriiiiight.... those two are more evil than the guy who intended to mind-control the entire galaxy and have them live only to serve as his mindless battery-slaves for eternity. :p

8. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Palpatine wasn't evil he was trying to bring order to the galaxy. Yes he used everyone around him but so did the other senators for their own agenda. He was a typical politician just because you don't agree with his tactics doesn't make him evil.

9. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Again, mind controlling the entire galaxy and sucking the life out of them so he'd be immortal is evil.

Dark Empire, oh how you make things easy sometimes when Imperial apologists come about. :p

10. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Read Darth Plagueis. Palpatine's father was a pretty bad guy... He probably had a bad childhood. ;)

11. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Hemorrhoids.

Seriously, though, Palpatine strikes me as a sociopath who can only get his rocks of by controlling people.

Sadly, there's plenty of people like this in the real world. Thankfully, they don't have superpowers.

12. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    It goes beyond that. IIRC Palpatine's father says right to Palpatine's face he's not sure Palpy's even human.

The implication being, of course, that it was more than being raised in a bad environment... the implication is that he was born evil.

13. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Sorry, but it's been bugging me for the past few weeks so I have to say it (anyone who gets the reference gets brownie points :p )

He's so evil because it's just so much gosh darn fun. :p

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If I had The Force I might not try to take over the world, but at the very least I'm gonna have fun getting out of moving violations. I can only imagine someone with more questionsable morals getting the Jedi Mind Trick.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    By murdering billions, destroying worlds and just generally running over people's pets and ruining their lives. His picture is in the dictionary under 'evil'.

16. General Valerian

General Valerian Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 6, 2013
    Because that's just the way he is...?

Because he enjoys being a manipulative old man who revels in mass murder and absolute power...?

17. eusue

eusue Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2013
    I think that palpatine tricked himself. He probably thought he was doing it for the good of the galaxy. That being said, every famous person we view as evil thought he/she was doing good for the world. He was blinded by his own desires.

18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Exactly. As can be read in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary, Palpatine regarded himself as a messiah, because he genuinely believed that a Sith government would be best for the galaxy. Both statements are true: he was evil, and yet he was convinced that his attitude was justified. In The Weakness of Inferiors, Palpatine wrote that those bereft of the Force were children wandering aimlessly, and, as a Force-user, it was his duty to rule over them so the civilization could flourish.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  19. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    I think that's bull. I think he knew he was evil. And loved it.

BultarSwan likes this.
  20. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    George Lucas outright states in the documentary detailing the making of Revenge of the Sith, that "no one who is evil ever thinks of themselves as evil". He was speaking in terms of Anakin's descent to Vader when he said it, but I think it can be applied to villains like Palpatine and Dooku as well.

SateleNovelist11 and BultarSwan like this.
  21. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    I don't think it can. That sounds more like GL's opinion on the matter, not like a statement that can be used to determine Palpatine knowing he was evil or not. There comes a point when you just know that what you're doing is wrong, but you do it anyway because you're selfish and power-hungry and plainly don't care if it's wrong or not. I think Palpatine crossed that line a long, long time ago.

22. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    ... in a galaxy far, far away.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I tend to think Palpatine thought of himself as a god - beyond good and evil.

23. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    It was his opinion on Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, that he didn't view what he was doing as evil, so he was applying it to his universe. And it was a pretty all encompassing statement so it doesn't seem like there was room for exceptions.

24. General Valerian

Mar 6, 2013
    That was his own opinion regarding the matter, referring to Anakin, as you said. I doubt he meant to use that statement as 'all encompassing'; that is subjective.

I'm sorry, I'll never be convinced that Palpatine didn't know he was evil, unless GL outright states it.

... I mean, unless Disney states it. :p

25. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Just saying, he was speaking of Anakin but used words that go far beyond Anakin or any single person, again having outright said "no one". That would logically include any evil person in the world, which includes Palpatine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.