main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Isnt Anakin a bit too young for Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Luisiana Jones, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Well I don't know. I see what you're saying for the second point but as to my first point I still don't find it answered satisfactorily. I guess younger children are outspoken at that sort of age but I still think it's a rather odd thing for a 9 year old to say.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm around kids all the time and while I've never heard "Are you an angel?", nobody really talks about angels around here other than in church.

I've heard some variation of "You're pretty" several times though. (Yeah, occasionally it was directed at me. :p )

RogueDianoga, kainee and Lee_ like this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's not even that great a pick-up line, when you realize he's calling her an alien. :p

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Diathim

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. AronAgmar

AronAgmar Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly. It only looks weird when you're talking about kids.

Ambervikings91 likes this.
  5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Big deal they're only like three years apart.

6. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I think the point is that the physical representation is what threw people off in TPM. He looks 8 and she looks 17.

Lord Chazza likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The OP seemed thrown off by the idea that a 14-year-old ages into a 24-year-old much less drastically than a 9-year-old ages into a 19-year-old. That's a misunderstanding of the drastic development between age 9 and age 14, in both genders.

And they don't get together until they're both legally adults so I'm not sure why their TPM ages are a question anyway.

kainee, ILNP and Samnz like this.
  8. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    The immaturity thing is why I think the much-derided 'fireplace scene' is actually where Hayden Christensen does his best acting over the two films (OK, not saying much, but bear with me). Of course the dialogue and his manner is awkward, and at times funny. That's because he's a former slave from a backwater world, who has been discouraged from contact with 'outsiders' for 10 years, and who is trying to sound sophisticated to impress the older aristocrat girl he likes.

kainee likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The dialogue in that scene is cringe-worthy, but I agree to a point; the romance gets derided a lot but there is actually a reason that Anakin is making an ass out of himself. He has no idea how to handle having such a heavy crush.

kainee likes this.
  10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    If he were in jr high school, he would scribble a corny note to her and we would all laugh if the teacher found it and read it aloud. He has the emotional IQ of the same small boy who left home, he never developed his interpersonal skills. He just tinkered with droids in his spare time, certain halls in the Temple were littered with his projects, iirc.

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Kinda hard to develop interpersonal skills when you're raised by an order of emotionally dead Knights that teach emotional suppression instead of teaching how to really deal with them.

12. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    This is actually a really important point. Padmé is fourteen in TPM and has already gone through puberty, while Anakin has not. I think a lot of people don't take into account that (some) girls tend to age less as they enter their twenties than men do. I still remember in high school, as a freshman, hearing one of the girls in my class talk about how her cousin was irritated with her because she went to help her move into her college dorm and everyone thought it was my classmate who was starting there, not her cousin.

I also know of another girl who was complaining because when she went to go get her passport renewed, the guy taking her picture said she had hardly aged. That...irritated her quite a bit since she was 11 when she got her passport picture first taken and then 19 or 20 when she had it renewed.

That being said, I do think some people misjudge their ages and then find the relationship rather disturbing on those grounds. I know some people thought that Anakin was 6 in TPM and Padmé was 18 (Natalie Portman was 16 at the time, so she does look like she could pass for it). If that's the case, then I can see why they would find a 28-year-old woman going after a 16 year old kid to be rather disturbing.

kainee likes this.
  13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Despite Natalie Portman's real age when she shot "THE PHANTOM MENACE", she was portraying a fourteen year-old girl, NOT an eighteen year-old. Anakin was nine years old in this movie. Padme was five years older than Anakin. When they got married, she was 24 and he was 19. Despite her experience in politics, Padme had very little, if hardly any experience with romance.

She may have been five years older than him, but when it came to romance; they were more or less even in regard to romantic experience.

RogueDianoga, kainee, ILNP and 2 others like this.
  14. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    This.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not sure why the physical representation matters unless one assumes that "Are you an angel?" means "I want to have sex."

16. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    The first thing you see in a film the way the character is physically portrayed. This little "head over heels" feeling for Padme that Anakin has looks a bit weird because of his physical age.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Emotionally dead Knights who cry, and openly express love, joy, wonder, warm feelings, fear and even anger.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't see him as being "head over heels." He uses the "angel" line to comment on how pretty she is (comparing her to some creatures he had heard about), and when they get back to his place, he shows her his projects. Seems like a normal kid to me and it's all completely platonic.

Control =/ suppression.

19. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Dumb puppy love.

RogueDianoga likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm around kids All. The. Time. and I'm still not seeing anything remotely romantic or creepy about Anakin's behavior.

We're going to have to part ways on this one.

RogueDianoga likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I see someone's read Rogue Planet... :p

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    But cannot sense the Sith in the room..lol The Jedi who openly show real emotions are rare, but they all happen to be named characters, so it is what it is.

23. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Control is better than suppression imo..

24. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Of course it is. Control is extremely important, which is why I think we could all use the lessons the Jedi taught, especially we temperamental and emotional types (speaking for myself here). Allowing oneself to be controlled by emotion and/or allowing emotions to be the primary guide to one's decision making is generally very unwise.

Anakin was an emotional, irrational person and he struggled a lot with this control. And Palpatine taught him that letting his emotions dictate his decisions was a good thing.

rumsmuggler likes this.