main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Hating Humans One at a Time: The Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Feb 22, 2013.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Tell me that's a fake. Please.

2. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    hm...I have had teachers and professors ask my classes to do this sort of thing in the past. Its all about various viewpoints on the same event in history. It is actually a Common Core State Standard now. However, I think giving this assignment to a 10th grade class ,who probably aren't emotionally mature enough to truly understand this assignment's whole purpose, was a terrible idea.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    How much more emotionally mature would they be by 12th grade? Probably not much.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't know... I wouldn't assume that the teacher is a horrible person, or worthy of hatred. I've been assigned crazy positions to write persuasive arguments about in the past. Part of critical thinking is to look closely at the opposing side, and sometimes the opposing side is pretty ugly. I don't know anything about this teacher, but I get the feeling that she was asking students to look at something in a critical way and try to put themselves in that mindset. I don't think this was an exercise in glorifying Nazis or diminishing Jewish people.

6. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    It's much easier to do what I do and hate unconditionally

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    from twitter: @BittrScrptReadr: Guys, this is Bieber we're talking about. We should be glad he didn't sign it, "Have a great summer. Don't ever change."

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Eh, there's taking on a controversial topic and critically thinking about positions, and then there's, "Hey, how about you advocate genocide! I'm sure you high school kids will fully grasp the critical thinking opportunities here with complete seriousness!" A simple assignment to write positively about something reprehensible doesn't really provoke actual critical thinking about the ways reprehensible things can happen, it just tends to diminish the seriousness the subject is treated with. Prompting students to write from a perspective they can disagree with can have advantages, but this really isn't the assignment to do it with.

BookExogorth likes this.
  9. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
    I think it really depends on the class and how the teacher has introduced/prepped the students for that sort of level of critical thinking.

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't interpret the assignment as the teacher asking the students to advocate genocide, or even to write positively about it. I see it as asking the students to attempt to justify the holocaust from the perspective of a Nazi--there's a big difference.

Once, for an ethics class, I had to write a persuasive argument about how abortion was murder. I hated it, and I felt creepy doing it, but it put me in that mindset, and because of it, I can now argue my actual stance in a far more informed manner. I don't see anything wrong with addressing 'taboo' topics... there's no need to shelter people from the ugliness of the world.

11. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
    harpuah And THAT is what all of us teachers want our students to be able to do when they leave us, argue their stances in a more informed manner instead of saying "Yes I believe in this and I dunno why, just sounds cool, mo".

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have mixed emotions about Kyle. Awesome sniper? War hero? Ok sure. I saw his interviews and finally someone asked him about why he punched Ventura. "He said some bad things about America". He also said this was not a bar fight but he overheard Ventura and sucker punched him then ran off.(I don't look down on such a thing but that is a discusson for another time).

So, here you are, a war hero/defender of America, but someone who has as much right to the 1st Amendemnt as you do deserves to get hit because you don't like what they say? Evertone has their buttons to be pushed but this just sounds like a bully getting a shot in then running off, if that is indeed the story. Did Ventura get in his face and challenge him? Not according to Kyle. Kyle was the instigator.

However, what is this lawsuit for? Nothing more than a clearing of the record? What is it that the wife has to admit that ventura himself could potentially clear up?

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Exactly. If it's nothing more than forcing her to say something she may not have first - hand knowledge on and money, then Ventura should just let it go. Like the guy or not, he is dead. Drop the lawsuit and let the woman grieve for her husband in peace.

16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  17. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    God I hate stories like that.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    As someone with an autism-spectrum disorder, I say that cop should be randomly tazed for that. Heck, maybe even a few hits with a cattle prod, see what a big man he feels like after that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Actually, in police training someone has to volunteer to be tased. I know a guy who was the volunteer that day. That doesn't mean this guy in Oregon ever had to be on the receiving end of a taser, but it's possible.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Still doesn't give him the right to use a tazer on an 11 year old.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    A Koch brother talks about econimic freedom

This is basically one of the more evil people on the planet talking about how you are in the 1% in the world if you own a refigerator or microwave so you should stop wining. And that minimum wage thing has to go.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He has economic freedom. Why should he give a flying **** about the rest of us peons, other than the stains we leave on the bottom of his million-dollar shoes?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Bib Fartuna likes this.