main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah ... that's okay. Ish.

How's this for a crazy stat: Hercules Gomez has nine career goals in CCL play. Exactly ZERO have come against non-MLS opponents.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Awful awful result for Galaxy last night. Looks like another year of Liga MX dominance ...

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Finally!! Timbers had a resounding win last night against Houston. Possession was like 65%, Ricketts kept them scoreless with a few great saves and Ryan Johnson (fast becoming one of my favorite players) had two goals! The second one was gorgeous and should be goal of the week! Only bad thing was two bad injuries for the Timbers within the first 30 minutes of the match, including David Horst, who was just back from another injury. My heart broke a little when he went down.

4. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Timbers look legit. I like Porter a lot add a manager. Crew now two home games and two home draws. Frustrating.

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Timo ... More reasons for you to be happy ... Sounders are last remaining team without a win in league play

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah Porter seems to be doing good things. I never really liked Spencer. He was too loud and annoying. As for the standings, well... sure Seattle is in last place and hasn't won a game, but that can and will change pretty quickly. And the Timbers still have a LONG way to go before they are doing well. So I will hold off on being cocky.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Cocky? Sure hold off on that.

Gloating and taunting? It's never too early for that.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    To me they are one and the same.

9. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Timbers did look way better in he 2nd half. Great midfield play.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    GOD ****ing damnit, David Horst is out for six months! :mad:

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Has Seattle ever given a reason for releasing Christian Tiffert? He was a very promising prospect at VfB Stuttgart but never managed to achieve a real break-through, either there or at a number of other clubs thereafter. I'd hoped he might be able to have a last hurrah in the US, guess not.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I think the biggest issue with Tiffert was the salary cap and roster rules. It wasn't that he couldn't play or didn't produce (sure, it was modest compared to other DPs in the league, but still good production), it was that if they wanted to pursue someone else with the precious cap space and even more precious DP spots, they had to let him go.

13. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I like them and the USWNT very much.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hercules Gomez strikes again in CCL play, and Seattle is now hanging for dear life by their fingernails. Only a Galaxy miracle can prevent another all Liga MX final.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    heels1785 likes this.
  16. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    It was a good read. Much better than that junk article in The Atlantic.

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Just ordered a ticket to the Pittsburgh Riveround's home opener tomorrow night - first match at the new downtown stadium. Can't wait! I'll be in the supporter section...hopefully I'll meet some fellow Outlaws there.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Nice. Always support local soccer. Even if you hate the local team.

Jozy Altidore with a hat trick today. Closing in on 30+ across all competitions.

Oruro had another girl for the Crew today. Nice start to the season for him.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Crap. US lost 3-1 to Honduras today and as a result they will not qualify for the U-17 World Cup for the first time every. Not good on the held off the Olympic failure. Shows the continued issues with youth/development for USA.

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It was a lot of fun. Good crowd, strong presence by the Steel Army. I was right near the action for the Hounds goal, which was cool. Unfortunately, they lost 2-1, with the deciding goal coming in the 90th.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Timbers looked fantastic last night against a very dirty-playing San Jose. Alan Gordan is a tosspot who not only got two yellow cards, and the resulting red card ejection from the match, but he apparently hurled a homophobic slur at Will Johnson. What a class act. Either way, the Timbers are finally playing like a professional soccer team and they look really good. Last night I saw players I've watched for a long time play as I have never seen them before. It was an excellent game. As a result, the Timbers are now in third place for the Western Conference! And Inty it's time for me to go ahead and gloat... the Flounders are in last place! They haven't won a match! It's brilliant.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree, Strilo. Don't get to catch a ton of MLS, so I don't have a lot of context, but Portland looked very good, and San Jose came off as thugs. Last time I saw the Timbers was last year right before they fired their coach, I believe. Much better squad.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah Porter is 10x the manager that Spencer ever was. I really like what Porter has done so far.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Let's see... so far we have a San Jose player benched for three games for calling a Timbers player a gay slur, and now we have a Timbers fan assaulted by a group of 12 San Jose fans before the game... because he waved his scarf at them and yelled Go Timbers. In Portland. Before a soccer match. I am quickly coming to dislike them a lot.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Michael Bradley and AS Roma have advanced to the finals of the Copa Italia. You can count on about one finger how many Americans have won more prestigious European trophies - Tim Howard and the FA Cup. Might have to find a way to watch the match.