main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What things from the PT do you want the ST to keep?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by InterestingLurker, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Darth-Lunatic

Darth-Lunatic Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2001
    The phantom menace ligthtsaber fights are the best.

More great fights like that.

Not much else i want to keep.

I want to see a lot of stuff from the OT though. Mainly the ships!

2. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Wow, wrong on every account.

Didn't really care about each other? Well no ***t, they wanted to KILL each other, which is why they were having a duel in the first place! Duels in the OT were between father and son....you honestly think every Jedi and every Sith in Star Wars has to have some sort of a similar relationship in order to keep you interested?

I don't know what audience you watched with, but audiences I've watched with cared for Qui Gon and Obi Wan uite a bit, being as they were the protagonists aka the "Good Guys" as it were.

The reason they were fighting is implied in the movie: Q and O are Jedi. M is a Sith. Jedi and Sith loathe each other and attack to kill on sight. Not only that, DM was after the queen and QGJ and OWK were her guardians. In order to get to the queen, Maul has to get through them first. Unstoppable force meeting immovable object, and all that.

No one would ever claim in all seriousness that the duel in ANH was superior to the duels in TPM.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Why Sith and Jedi loath each other isn't even explored in the movies. It was simply thrown at our feet. There, eat it, audience.
    The duel would've been a great opportunity to explain why these two orders hate each other so much (through good ol' insult swinging), but no, the opportunity was wasted.

Ryus likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I sort of agree, I think Obi-Wan and Vader going back and forth with dialogue in ANH was good, along with Luke and Vader's dialogue in ESB and ROTJ as they were fighting.

But as far as why Sith and Jedi loathe each other; I just assumed from the movie that they are ancient enemies and maybe there was no rhyme and reason why they hated each other, kind of like the Montagues and the Capulets. They just did.

I wouldn't mind seeing some insult-swinging but the only thing that comes to mind was "Our kind vanquished your kind a thousand years ago."

Darth_Pevra and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's self-explanatory. Why do elves and orcs hate each other? PLOT HOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Well, its made apparent in The Phantom Menace that the Sith want revenge on the Jedi for nearly driving them to extinction over a thousand years ago, and in Revenge of the Sith Anakin expresses that the Jedi are not fond of the Sith because of their 'inward' way of thinking and their disruption of the natural balance of the Force that the Jedi strive to keep intact.

One of the reasons I loved the Count Dooku character so much was because, unlike Anakin, he didn't leave the Jedi and join the Sith in order to achieve a greater power. He was a villain, but he was portrayed as a gentleman and a man of high stature. He left the Jedi Order because, unlike the members of the Council, he was not blind to the corruption in the senate that the Jedi were wrongly protecting. He was a political idealist and, quite honestly, was not exactly wrong in assisting the Separatist movement (the Separatists are not so different from Rebels that we fell in love with in the Original Trilogy, after all). His beliefs on the status of the government were in line with the lies being spewed by Darth Sidious, so them working together seemed quite natural.

Unlike Dooku, Palpatine was the embodiment of evil. He was essentially the Star Wars incarnation of Satan himself (his manipulation of Anakin is not so different than the portrayal of the serpent in the Adam and Eve story), and claimed that he wanted to bring 'peace' to the galaxy through his newly formed Empire. He simply wanted to eradicate anyone who opposed him, and the Jedi were the biggest opposition to the Sith in the galaxy.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I felt sorry for Dooku in the prequels, and even more so after reading Darth Plagueis and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I totally agree that the dialogue in the fight scenes of the OT is great and we get that in the PT with Count Dooku mocking Obi-Wan and Anakin during their fights. As for Maul I never thought it would fit his character. He always seemed to me to be a silent predator, stalking his prey, looking for any weakness he can use against them. No time for games or mockery. The moment he becomes overconfident and starts to play with his victim he gets cut in half by Obi-Wan. So basically I'm good either way.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Maul's mocking in TCW was actually really good... especially after he killed Obi-wan's girlfriend right in front of him (they never did anything together due to Obi-wan and the code though, but they did have feelings for one another)

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked The Lawless, but I thought most of the mocking was done by Obi-Wan. And it would have been good if he hadn't been doing it while Maul was choking Satine. Seriously, Obi-Wan, kudos for having control over the emotions you must have been feeling at that moment but still...STFU and do something.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I like that story arc but I'm not a fan of bringing Maul back from the dead. I think they could have created their own character and had him do many of the same things. Savage Oppress could have fit the role and Obi-Wan could even initially believe he's Maul but later find out that he's not.

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Was anyone a fan of Maul coming back from the dead? Just saying his taunting was very well done...

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    My son was... :p

14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Appologies for asking [face_laugh]. .. of course a kid was in favor of a cool villain, even if brought back from the dead ;)

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's funny, because early in season 5, I was watching with my son when he looked at me with a WTF? expression on his face and said "Didn't Darth Maul die?"

Apparently George Lucas was a fan of the concept though.

16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Concept never got finished though... we never saw how Sidious planned to use Maul after he defeated him. So we never got to see the reason why Lucas approved it *Sigh

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But why would Maul care what happened thousand years ago? Why is he so eager to reveal himself to the Jedi? What is his personal motivation to do what he does?

The last question was skipped altogether and that made it difficult to feel anything for that character, not even disgust.

I mean, I can only speculate that maybe the Sith order was father and mother and meaning of life for him and maybe that's why he hated the Jedi so much.

Fortunately, TCW Maul is a far better character. His motivations are pretty clear.

18. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    CGI aliens and fast pace lightsaber battles defiantly!

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Darth Maul was raised by Palpatine. Palps taught Maul that the Jedi had commited genocide against the Sith.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That is not in the movies.

21. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Half of the crap you read on here is not found in the movies

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I am.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I was first a skeptic because from a dramaturgy point of view resurrections are problematic. But TCW Maul simply won me over and showed me how sad it was that his potential as a movie villain was wasted.

24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I'll agree that he won me over as a character and also showed me how wasted his potential was in ep I... I was very against it though when I first heard about it though. Still wonder time to time if a new villain would have been better or not, but feel I cant judge since we never saw the conclusion to his caracter arc and Sidious 'plans' for him. That arc was to truly be the test if it was wiser to use him or another. Not whinning about the show getting cancled though, rather ep VII-IX over it any day and twice on release day.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Right, but which book was that from?