main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did Luke know about Shmi?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The Supreme Chancellor, Apr 13, 2013.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    How much did Uncle Owen tell Luke about his grnadmother? Did he know her story and how she died? Did he know about how young Anakin was when he left Tatooine?

It's clearly not touched on in the films but any interpretations from the films?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well, her grave was on the Lars homestead. I'd assume Luke asked, but to protect him, they probably just said it was his grandmother and nothing else. They probably don't mention anything about Tusken Raiders or slaughtering them like animals.

3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I agree that Owen & Beru told him about her, stressing her good qualities and glossing over the exact nature of her death. Question is, did Luke later learn the whole story about her, and from whom?

Makes you wonder if Ben's ghost had to use the whole "certain point of view" routine again.

4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Owen and Beru defiantly told Luke about his grandmother. There wasn't anything bad to say about her unlike his father.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, I'd go with that explanation. Shmi wasn't just Anakin's mother, she was also an important part of the Lars family, and quite correct - her grave was on the homestead.

I doubt GL ever gave the issue much thought, but based on what's in the films, it's most likely that Luke was, at least, aware she once existed, if not any further information.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the books, the Larses remove Shmi's gravestone when Luke is very young, in order to prevent Luke asking awkward questions.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Interestingly enough, there's a scene in the Second Draft of SW with Luke at his mother's grave at the homestead:

Totally different context and storyline, but very reminiscent of Anakin at his mother's grave in AOTC. GL really never threw any ideas out.

8. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    I was always under the impression that Anakin had only ever told Padmé (and later Palpatine) about 'slaughtering them like animals'.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hm... true. Well, regardless, the Larses a least knew she was kidnapped by them and died at the camp, so they probably just told Luke she died of natural causes.

10. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I also don't think this is something GL thought through, but I think it would make sense for them to have told Luke how is grandmother died.

The sandpeople were a nasty bunch, and the story of her death would have been the type of convincing evidence that parents tell their kids to keep them from doing something foolish, sort of like "Stay away from alcohol. Your grandmother was an alcholic, and it killed her."
    What I think they probably wouldn't have told Luke about was Anakin's retrieval of her body. Uncle Owen didn't want Luke following in his father's footsteps, so he may not have told him about how Anakin took on the sandpeople b/c it would make Anakin seem like a hero.

11. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Where is that from?

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke would know about her at some point.

13. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Supposing Luke did know about his grandmother, did he ever question about his grandfather? Like how he didn't have one!! What was he told about his mother?

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe both the The Life & Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi book, and the Tatooine Ghost book, reference it. The "A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker" book may do so as well.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and K'Kruhk like this.
  15. DarthLazious28273

DarthLazious28273 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2013
    I dont think he did.

16. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    In the books, Leia learns about her in Tatooine Ghost. She probably told it to Luke after that.

17. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I meant prior to ANH, but yes clearly Luke did eventually learn about his whole family.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    "I told you to forget about."- Owen. On a serious note, him finding about Shmi would be a good move in the ST.

20. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, just like Luke going after his "mother" in the Black Fleet Crisis, Leia wasn't interested at all.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

Alexrd and Summer Dreamer like this.
  22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I think that Owen had her headstone removed at somepoint, but I wouldn't be surprised if he asked about her as well as his dad many times. No one ever seems to ask if he asked questions about his mother.

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Bail probably told her about her mother, all except her name and details that can be used to put it all together. I guess she figured that Luke needed to find out on his own. Too bad he was being lied too, but he finally had a confirmed hook up so it is what it is..

24. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I don't know, she got very angry with Luke wanting her to go after their mother with him. I guess Bail didn't tell her, intending to protect her from her past.
    But in the comic adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy Padmé appears in some sort of art form in Leia's Bedroom if I'm not mistaken. So who knows...

25. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I think knew about her. How much I don't know.

If Luke knew or learned that she had been a slave he would have just assumed that his grandfather had either raped her, led her on with false promises or truly loved her but they were separated by the mere fact that she and possibly him were slaves. Luke would have no reason to believe that his father had been created through supernatural means.

Unless he found that stuff in the Jedi Archived but exactly how do you bring that up to someone? My father was created by the Will of the Force; or all evidence points to that. That would boggle anyone's mind.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."