main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Niiiiiiiiiice, Rilwen! I really enjoyed the post and the poem alike!

2. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Thanks!:D If we're gonna have straight-up killed a dude, might as well be at least one of us had fun with it...:p

The morale issues with the Red Hand mentioned in your post were a nice touch, so I took that whole ghosts deal and ran with it, and the facepaint got to have its day again.;)

(Side note, I am assuming that the teleport out wasn't straight back to Brindol, but rather to some meeting-point agreed-upon for in case the group got separated. It's too sensible a precaution not to have been taken. This benefits Ktala as well - even with wings, it's a fair way back to Brindol otherwise...:p Getting to that meeting-point was probably hazardous and nerve-wracking enough, without adding more confusing logistical things in.:p )

3. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    What a wonderful read, Rilwen!! Really enjoyed it.

Heheh. I sure wont argue how the we got there and back. I'll just happily skip around the details...

**skips**skips**
    :)

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    How effective would scrying be at this point?

5. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    On the day of the fight? Not very. Basic scrying has an hour casting time and lasts for a minute per level. Unless you plan on teleporting in immediately after, you're not going to get very useful information. Greater Scrying has a standard action casting time and lasts for an hour a level, but that's well above your pay grade.

Besides, you already know where your enemy is going to be- everywhere.

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Blah. I suppose I could go and cast the 20 Questions Game and talk to Torm then.

7. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Incidentally, what spells is Zanaek going to be packing? I want to make sure that we have most of our bases covered between the two of them, including Mass Conviction and Mass Resist Energy, and Mass Lesser Vigor for group recovery, since it's probably the most cost-effective team-heal we have. While Skadi can cover one or two of the others, I'd prefer if Zanaek brings Mass Lesser Vigor since his caster level is better and he's got feats that boost it further.

For Skadi's spells, I start with this:

Spells: (At will/7/7/6/6/4) DC (18+Level) Domains: Retribution, War Caster Level: 10 (Caster Level 11 for [force] spells.)
    0:
    1:
    2:
    3:
    4:
    5:

And for domain slots it's probably going to be:
    1: Shield of Faith
    2: Spiritual Weapon
    3: Magic Vestment
    4: Fire Shield (or maybe Divine Power)
    5: Flame Strike

Which leaves 6/6/5/5/3 spells remaining. A good chunk of those are going to be buffs, but if there's anything you think she should pack, now is a good time to mention it.

8. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Stuff against Undead and Dragons, though IC we don't know about the DK yet. Hence why I want to commune with Torm to find out about the Death Knight which will also effect what spells I take. Which version is Saint going with anyway? MM2 3.5 or Dragonlance? 3.5, although is nothing to laugh at, it's still weaker compared to Dragonlance.

And if we dont find out about the DK, then I suppose spells that would hinder the army's ability to fight in mass. I'll definitely be taking the stronger Summoning spells to boost our numbers and that spell that turns me into a celestial. Be fun to pop that at the right moment and freak out the Red Hand. :)

9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    :eek:!!!
    *SWACK!*

Slaps back of Mitth's head.
    Are ya TRYING to get us killed?! LOL!
    Ya dont need to be giving Saint ideas... lol...
    (mutters about DK)

.. or ammo!

Yep yep...

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Ow! *rubs head* He doesn't need help in trying to kill us.

11. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Mitth, be careful to guard against metagaming here, since as you've rightly pointed out the party (at least as at 9 Kythorn) really doesn't have any clue that Kharn is back (or indeed that, strictly speaking, it's Wyrmlord Kharn.)

As to whether it's the Dragonlance Death Knight or the MM Death Knight -- in theory at least I could refuse to say one way or the other, but for ease of reference I haven't (as far as I can remember) pulled in Dragonlance character options to this game much, or at all. The sourcebooks from Dragonlance are generally thought a bit subpar (in terms of playing, anyway) and to be honest I've never read one of them or have access to them. The cosmology of Dragonlance is interesting, and it was the series that probably got me into D&D the most, but I don't resort to it for character options or monsters. So -- not that I can stop metagaming or offgame research as such, that's a matter for the individual -- if it's a Death Knight, it's the one from MM 2. Good as your party is, I didn't really want to put them up against Lord Soth. ;)

Also passing some detail on because it's a bit easier in this format: the party's role in the defence as ordered by Brindol's Defence Council is as a roving group of troubleshooters. You're not going to be left commanding armies as such, the Council wants you available putting out proverbial "spot fires" or opponents that regular troops aren't up to defeating. (This also doesn't stop Evelios travelling around with you since Resounding Voice works out to a pretty massive radius IIRC, and consequently if he wants to inspire half the city, he'll be able to). To facilitate this role, Immerstal the Red casts Rary's Lesser Telepathic Bond on Skadi. This gives her a telepathic contact with Lord Jarmaath so it better allows you to communicate and coordinate; a sort of poor man's Ring of Communication.

12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Im trying not to. I need an IC reason to even do the commune for that anyway. As far as I can go, I can simply ask to confirm that Kharn is dead and you can be Yes/No/Vague in reply :p But my reaction to your answer depends on my convo with Maz ;)

13. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Mazarun: "He ran into my knife. He ran into my knife ten times."
    :D

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    "He left us rather suddenly. Completely lost his head." :D

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "In the end, I think he got the point. It really stuck with him. He's a dead lifeless corpse."

Dear lord, the puns that are going to be unleashed if we run into his undead form. "Hey Kharn, you seem a bit stiff. Less lively than usual. Like maybe you've got a bone to pick with someone. I'm saying you're an undead sin in the eyes of most gods."

Saintheart likes this.
  16. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Silent knight, unholy knight
    Raising him was not too bright~

Saintheart likes this.
  17. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    "I'm impressed, Kharn. You're literally the only one showing any backbone at all."

...wait, why am I taking the **** out of my own future encounters? :confused:

18. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    I'm pretty sure you have the company to do that for you.

19. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    We'll just be kicking the **** out of them.

I mean, hopefully. If we don't all die.

20. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Hopefully. All of you. Won't die. :D

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I finally managed to get that fill-in written. It's... um, a thing.

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    [​IMG]

It's the swing, it's the ring, it's the r-r-r-real thiiiing!

And remember, asking is just polite d-d-demanding! :D

23. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    THREE CHEERS FOR THE HARPING SCUM!

Ktala and Ramza like this.
  24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    ROFLMAO, really. For about three straight minutes.

25. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Other news, any spell lists, guys? I've gotten inspired by the anticipation and the posting; should be ready to roll in a couple days' time...or if you want to get any final updates in place... :D