main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Following Takes Place Between 35:3:8 and 39:3:7 of the GCW. Events Occur in Real Time.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 3, 2013.

1. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Hmmmmm...I'm really torn here, because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have Leia and Luke making a huge deal about Luke leaving on his own on a scouting mission in Marvel #8 if Tatooine Sojourn, which opens with Luke on that exact same kind of mission, takes place first. Were the references to Luke scouting for a new base from Scoundrels?

I think it makes more sense to place Tatooine Sojourn alongside Scoundrel's Luck, as it states that Luke has gone off on a scouting mission during that story and doesn't play a part in the main adventure.

On the other hand, we're running out of space in the timeline, and your research seems to indicate that Scoundrels lasts slightly longer than I'd expected and the Pizzazz stories take place during a much shorter amount of time than I had previously thought. It seems silly to leave Luke idle for so long.

Here's a different idea: what if while we're waiting for Han to get to Aduba, Luke is flying missions near Yavin while forming what will become Rogue Squadron? Rogue Squadron pops up for the first time chronologically in Missions #9, which is coming up pretty soon but it appears to be fully formed. The kid's book Luke Skywalker's Race Against Time has Luke flying a mission against a Star Destroyer...maybe that could be what he's up to during this time? There's also (dare I say it) the book Maverick Moon, which has Luke training with the Planetary Pioneers...

TC

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I'd also prefer for Tatooine Sojourn to take place later. There was enough time for Mos Eisley to be significantly built-up since A New Hope, and I think the Manning strips work better if kept roughly in order. (I always thought the reason we never again saw Luke in the ship he'd been using up until Sojourn was because he gave it to Anduvil to replace her ship, which was said to have been impounded by the Empire.)

3. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Yeah, in SW #8, everyone treats Luke like a baby.
    But that's no reason not to set it after Tatooine Sojourn. As long as that happens within the timespan of Target, it makes perfect sense: they are worried because he's the most wanted man in the galaxy. They could have made the same scene before he left for his perfectly safe and boring mission (probably tailored just for him) in Tatooine Sojourn.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Plus, it's Luke going back to his home planet. I'm guessing that brings with it less trepidation than him going off on a scouting mission to an unknown or unfamiliar world alone.

I have to dig out my copy of Early Adventures and double check before I put it down anywhere, though. I'm not married to the idea though- its just a few timelines I've seen have listed TS early on so it seemed like a plausible solution.

5. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Yes, that's what Luke was up to during this time. :D

6. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    The thing is, though, that Luke was assigned to a different recon mission at the beginning of Tatooine Sojourn, and was unexpectedly called off to investigate happenings on Tatooine...

By the way, the timeline so far demonstrates why I'm so fascinated by the era. In the span of a month real-time we've had crazy stories about androids and a machine god. We've had books intended to teach science to children. We've had a genre-within-a-genre novel aimed at adults. We've had several somewhat bizarre book/game combos. We've had stories released over three decades ago, and a story that's not even six months old. And they're all stacked haphazardly on top of one another, with the only common thread being the chronological setting and the characters. It's like the entire EU crammed into one month. ;)

TC

jSarek and The2ndQuest like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll reserve placement for TS until I get to reading it. Unfortunately I think the very nature of this chunk of the era will require a few "fill in the framework" moments in the project- even I don't own everything (damn well close to it at this point, though, heh). Also I have a busy month of schoolwork ahead of me, so that will probably slow me down for a few days.

Speaking of frameworks and bringing us somewhat close to real-time, here's our initial framework for Marvels 7-15:

35:4:22

Arriving on Aduba-3 from Wukkar, Han and Chewie help an insectoid priest defend the body of a cyborg from angry spacers and lay the body to rest. Later they are approached in a cantina by farmers who have an offer for them.

After the farmers inexplicably change race, hair color and clothing styles while Han and Chewie (who finally looks like Chewie and not Bigfoot or an Ape) get caught up in a bar fight, they request Han help defend their village from raiders led by Serji-X.

By sundown, Han is interviewing interested mercenaries while shirtless in his hotel room. He assembles a team that includes Jaxxon, Don-Wan Kinotay, Hedji, Amaiza Foxtrain, the Starkiller Kid and his droid.

Meanwhile, on Yavin 4, Luke departs on a scouting mission for a new base location in the Drexel system. (Marvel #7: New Planets, New Perils!, Marvel #8: Eight For Aduba-3)

35:4:23

At dawn, Han's group first encounters Serji-X's raiders, who attempt to buy them off. Han's group travels to the village and defend it against Serji's eventual attack. In the process, a village elder awakens a giant creature called the Behemoth. The creature manages to wipe out Seri's raiders and Han's group is barely able to kill the monster once it gets out of control. As the sun sets on Aduba, the group disperses.

Luke arrives on Drexel, but Yavin Base loses communication with him. Leia takes off in another ship to go after Luke, but her ship is intercepted by another craft.

Han and Chewie depart Aduba in the Falcon but are once again intercepted by the Riding-Up-On-Him Robber, the Follicled Forager, the Plunderer with a Package, the Hijacker that Hikes 'Em Up, the Manscaping Mobster, the Underhanded in Underoos, Mr Negative Knickers himself- Crimson Jack!

[​IMG]

Who, it turns out, was the one who intercepted Leia as well. Han and Leia negotiate a plan that tricks Jack into taking the long hop to Drexel while Chewbacca supplies Jack's ship with the navigation charts from the Falcon's computer..

"A man can always be killed later... but a lost opportunity is very difficult to revive." - Crimson Jack​

Meanwhile, Luke's ship has been forced down into the oceans of Drexel and has been fending off sea serpents and metal-salvaging pirate operation that has been stranded on Drexel for over a generation but who are able to use a sonic weapon to disable ships and orbit and drag them to the surface to salvage. Luke meets with their governor over night. (Marvel #8: Eight For Aduba-3, Marvel #9: Showdown on a Wasteland World!, Marvel #10: Behemoth from the World Below, Marvel #11: Star Search!, Marvel #12: Doomworld!)

35:4:24

Chewbacca finishes his task and Jack's ship makes the jump to Drexel, arriving late in the evening. On Drexel, Luke proves himself and the droids worth to the governor so that he can stay until he's able to leave the planet. (Marvel #12: Doomworld!)

35:4:25

Jack's ship comes into orbit over Drexel but is caught in the sonic trap of the Drexel scavengers. Han and Leia use the distraction to escape in the Falcon and head for Drexel to save Luke- only to find themselves in the midst of an all out war between the scavengers and the sea serpent-riding Dragon Lords that began at dawn.

Defeating the governor, the star warriors escape in the Falcon but are unable to get past Jack's ship. The stalemate comes down to a Zero G duel between Solo and Jack (yes, despite fighting within just the shields of a spaceship in the vacuum of space, Jack sticks to his britches- or, rather, the lack thereof. A betrayal by one of Jack's crewmates leaves his cruiser in flames, giving Solo the opportunity to finish Jack off once and for all.

"Solo! I might've known it'd come down to just you and me!"
    "No, Jack-" (shoots him) "-just me!" - Crimson Jack and Han Solo.​

The Falcon and her crew begin their journey back to Yavin 4. (Marvel #12: Doomworld!, Marvel #13: Day of the Dragon Lords, Marvel #14: The Sound of Armageddon, Marvel #15: Star Duel)

Notes:

-"On a world the law forgot.."

-Solo mentions skipping Sunday School as a kid. That's just an odd religious reference. Kinda funny the number of kinda racial slurs Han uses for aliens, as if he was calling them by their Kenner names- "Insect Guy", "Pig Face", etc.

-This is truly a planet full of criminals- the 2nd panel of the cantina in #7 features Carmen San Diego. No wonder we had so much trouble finding her on Earth...

-Bucky becomes so ridiculously adorable for no reason in the 3rd or 4th panel we see him in.

- The Starkiller Kid wants to live up to the name. Retroactively I guess there is urban legend/myth about Starkiller I assume.

-Amaiza is "wanted dead or alive in six star systems- and it isn't for the way she threads a needle."
    Oh, because she's a woman. I get it.

-Han uses a lightsaber for the first time here. Artoo squirts oil out to slip up enemies here as well- long before ROTS.

-Odd that the Drexel raiders barely know about droids yet have two oil bath units available for the droids to use.

-We see the hands of a Jedi in a flashback here. I tink this is technically the first glimpse of a Jedi besides Obi-Wan the saga had.

-Luke can't swim. Makes sense. That swamp lake on Yavin wasn't that deep I'm guessing.

-#15 has what must be a TIE Bomber in it. That strikes me as impossible, given the publication date, but there's no bloody way that isn't a TIE Bomber.

-The heroes are still trying to keep word of the Rebel base secret in case Vader was unable to report back.

Marvel #7: New Planets, New Perils! Wookieepedia summary (this part):
    Forced to lay low because they can't pay Jabba, the two seek refuge on the planet Aduba-3. There they are hired by a priest of the Sacred Way to bury a recently deceased borg. Although they meet with some resistance from the locals who object to having a borg buried in their traditional mound, they do eventually find their way to the burial site. After completing that task, the two smugglers are relaxing in a local cantina where they are presented with a much deadlier one.

Marvel #8: Eight For Aduba-3:
    Han Solo and Chewbacca are hired by Ramiz, a moisture farmer on Aduba-3, to protect his village from a band of local thugs known as the Cloud-Riders led by Serji-X Arrogantus. Han and Chewbacca hire six misfit spacers to help them with the task, including Don-Wan Kihotay, an old man who thinks he is a Jedi Knight, and Jaxxon, a rabbit-like creature with a mean disposition. Serji-X tries to convince Han to forget about his mission to protect the peasants and even offers him compensation, but Han declines. Meanwhile, on Yavin 4, Luke Skywalker, C-3PO and R2-D2 leave in a scout ship to search for a location for the new Rebel Alliance base.

Marvel #9: Showdown on a Wasteland World!:
    Han Solo, Chewbacca and the Star-Hoppers arrive at Ramiz' village Onacra, only to find it under attack by flying High-hounds. They repel the beasts, saving the life of a young girl named Merri to the great relief of her father Oncho, the village spokesman. But their relief is short-lived as Serji-X Arrogantus and his gang attack; the Star-Hoppers valiantly defend the village from the attack, but not without cost as FE-9Q is destroyed in the fray. However, Merri's grandfather the Old One, a shaman, dismisses the hired spacers' help and summons a large, mythical reptilian monster called the Behemoth from the World Below to handle the invading Cloud-Riders. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker informs Leia Organa that he has found a new location for the Rebel Alliance base in the Drexel system, but the transmission suddenly ends, and a worried Leia sets out to find Luke.

Marvel #10: Behemoth from the World Below:
    The Old One has summoned the Behemoth, a giant reptilian monster, to defend the village Onacra from the villainous Cloud-Riders. Serji-X Arrogantus, the leader of the Cloud-Riders, realizes that he and his men have no chance against the beast, and he also realizes that the giant is being controlled by the old shaman. He attacks the Old One but the Behemoth reacts in time to kill Serji-X, however the old shaman is killed as well causing the monster to run amok. With the rest of the Star-Hoppers running for cover, would-be Jedi Knight Don-Wan Kihotay tries to stop the great beast on his own. Hedji tries to help him, but is killed by the monster without much trouble. Then Han Solo rushes to help Kihotay, and uses the man's lightsaber to destroy the Behemoth. Meanwhile, Leia Organa searches the Drexel system for Luke Skywalker who hasn't been heard from since his last transmission was interrupted.

Marvel #11: Star Search!:
    Han Solo and Chewbacca leave Aduba-3 in the Millennium Falcon, only to be captured once again by Crimson Jack and his gang of pirates. Princess Leia Organa had also been captured by the pirate while on her way to the Drexel system to find out what happened to Luke, and Jack intended to hold the Princess for ransom. But Han and Leia secretly devise a ruse to trick the pirates into taking them to the Drexel system by claiming that the Rebels have stockpiled a treasure there. While suspicious of Solo's plan, Jack's greed gets the better of him and he decides to trust the Rebels for the time being. Meanwhile, on Drexel, Luke Skywalker, R2-D2 and C-3PO are stranded on their wrecked spacecraft floating in the huge ocean that covers the planet and are attacked by a giant Sea-dragon.

Marvel #12: Doomworld!:
    Luke Skywalker and the droids C-3PO and R2-D2 are stranded on the water world Drexel. While floating in their escape pod, they are caught in the middle of a battle between the sea-dragons, ridden by the Dragon Lords, and the hydra craft, piloted by Governor Quarg's men. The combatants are battling for the prize of Luke's wrecked ship, as anything mechanical is a rare commodity on the ocean covered planet. The battle ends in a standoff, but Luke and the droids are captured by the skimmer pilots and brought back to their base where Luke tries to convince Quarg that the droids would be more useful to them intact instead of being stripped down for parts. Meanwhile, Han Solo is leading Crimson Jack and his gang of pirates to the Drexel system under the pretense that there is treasure to be found, but the pirates becomes suspicious when they arrive and the only planet in the system is entirely covered in water.

Marvel #13: Day of the Dragon Lords:
    On Drexel, Luke Skywalker decides to join Governor Quarg's group in their battle against the Dragon Lords, at least for the time being. Meanwhile aboard Crimson Jack's space cruiser, Han Solo is trying to talk his way out of trouble when Jack and his crew realize that they have been duped into coming to Drexel. But Quarg's jamming equipment on the planet's surface causes a disruption on the space cruiser, which is enough of a diversion to allow Solo, Chewbacca, and Princess Leia Organa to escape in the Millennium Falcon to the surface below. The Falcon splashes onto the water covered surface of Drexel, right in the middle of an epic battle between Quarg's men, piloting hydra craft, and the Dragon Lords. One of the hydra craft attacks the Falcon just as its occupants are exiting from its top hatch. Luke, who is also piloting a hydra craft in the battle, immediately turns on his new comrades and rushes to save the fallen Rebels. He finds only Chewbacca who, thinking Luke was responsible for the attack, becomes enraged at the young Rebel.

Marvel #14: The Sound of Armageddon:
    On the water world of Drexel, Governor Quarg has used his sonic jammer to cause the Millennium Falcon to crash into the water near his giant city-ship. Han is believed dead, while Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca and the droids are imprisoned inside of Quarg's galleon. Quarg has simultaneously been waging a war against the Dragon Lords who even now attack his ship, riding atop giant sea-dragons.

Quarg has now turned his sonic jammer towards an even greater prize - a stolen Imperial battlecruiser locked in Drexel's orbit. The pirate, Crimson Jack and his first mate, Jolli, attempt to break free of their ship's systems-lock, but find that they are trapped.

Han meanwhile, is not dead at all. The Dragon Lords have rescued him and have taken him to a secret underground cave. The leader of the Dragon Lords tells Han that Quarg's sonic jammer is driving the sea serpents mad and slowly killing them. Han agrees to help them if they agree to help him in return by salvaging the Millennium Falcon.

Governor Quarg has found Princess Leia hiding within the Millennium Falcon and chases her back onto the city-ship. Chewbacca goes berserk (believing that Han is dead) and breaks free of the prison. Luke has been forced into doing Quarg's dirty work until he reunites with Han who explains to him what the sonic jammer is doing to the dragons. Luke rescues Leia and knocks Quarg from the city-ship into the ocean, killing him, just as the jamming equipment is destroyed by the Falcon.

Marvel #15: Star Duel:
    With Governor Quarg killed, and his jamming equipment disabled, Crimson Jack's battlecruiser is fully operational and waiting for Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon to leave the surface of Drexel so Jack can exact some revenge. Jolli engages in a dogfight with the Falcon, which results in her Y-wing and the Falcon becoming disabled. Although Solo appears helpless as a result of the damage, he forces a personal exchange between himself and Jack when he reveals that Chewbacca had erased Jack's navigational charts while on board his cruiser. Meanwhile, Jolli is requesting assistance because of damage sustained in the earlier battle, but Jack dismisses her focusing instead on how to get back at Solo. Angered by Jack's response, Jolli fires on her former allies and rams her ship into the battlecruiser killing the crew and herself. While Jack survives the blast, he's still bent on killing Solo, but in the final duel between the two Solo ends up killing the red-bearded pirate with a blaster.

Star Wars #7 was reprinted in Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld and in Omnibus A Long Time Ago... Volume 1.
    Star Wars #8 was reprinted in Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld and in Omnibus A Long Time Ago... Volume 1.
    Star Wars #9 was reprinted in Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld and in Omnibus A Long Time Ago... Volume 1.
    Star Wars #10 was reprinted in Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld and in Omnibus A Long Time Ago... Volume 1.
    Star Wars #11 was reprinted in Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld and in Omnibus A Long Time Ago... Volume 1.
    Star Wars #12 was reprinted in Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld and in Omnibus A Long Time Ago... Volume 1.
    Star Wars #13 was reprinted in Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld and in Omnibus A Long Time Ago... Volume 1.
    Star Wars #14 was reprinted in Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld and in Omnibus A Long Time Ago... Volume 1.
    Star Wars #15 was reprinted in Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld and in Omnibus A Long Time Ago... Volume 1.

Gorefiend, TalonCard and Havac like this.
  8. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    [face_laugh]

[face_thinking] That's an interesting connection... Force Unleashed III: Exile on Aduba, anyone?

Also, thank goodness the Hands of a Jedi romance novel was cancelled...

TC

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Luke was lonely.

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    TIE Bombers concept art was around for ANH though there it would have been intended as boarding craft.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, good, it's nice to know time hasn't begun to unravel.

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    It's good to know that the seven-plus Marvel issues can be fit into so short a time...perhaps there's hope for the post Yavin timeline yet! ;)

TC

14. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Seems like a pretty quiet time. It's fitting that SW #17 is placed somewhere around here, since all that happens in it is Luke gets bored out of his mind. ;)

15. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    We'll be hitting the 2 months ABY landmark soon, huh?

How time flies...........

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, sorry for the delay in updates- been busy with school projects and its finals this week. Ill be catching up on this after that.

Btw- does anyone with a copy of Scoundrel's Luck feel like doing a day by day breakdown for me and send it my way? It's the only major source besides SW Kids that I don't have for the upcoming days and I really want to work out the Vader debacle as best I can.

EDIT- I no longer need the day-by-day for Scoundrel's Luck, but thanks to those that offered!

17. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    As it happens, I do still have my copy with me. Trying to break down the events day-by-day could get complicated pretty quickly, though, given the branching storyline, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

TC

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It has multiple paths? That either complicates things greatly or potentially allows us to disregard complicated ones as AU...hmm

19. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, both of the Solitaire Adventure Games are essentially Choose-Your-Own Adventures with an RPG point system attached.

TC

20. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Breakdown sent. Depending on how you want to interpret the month-long search for Vader, we may not even be that far behind...

TC

The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Just a head's up that the latest Free Comic Book Day comic, The Assassination of Darth Vader, is apparently a prelude to the new Star Wars series and takes place during this era...

TC

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Guess I'm gonna have to download that since my local shop ran out- on the brightside, that series isn't a concern for another few months as far as I'm concerned at this point- I'm going to treat it as a post 6 months ABY story.

Also, I intend to be back up to date for this project by the end of the week.

23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Doesn't the introductory text of the new Star Wars series explicitely say it happens 2 months ABY? (Please forgive me if has already been discussed earlier in this thread or elsewhere.)

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It does but the series seems to have time jumped by 4 months during story telling as the Rebels are off Yavin and the Executor is arround.

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh, I see. However, I suspect the series did not really jump by 4 months in the author's mind. He probably never thought that having the Executor and the Rebels off Yavin 4 would be a mistake. Granted, we sorta have to rationalize it ourselves.