main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Do you believe in the bible?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Allana_Rey, Jan 26, 2013.

?

Do you believe in the bible?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, but the question you raised was a general one. Why exactly did you ask about verses that contain the phrase "four corners of the Earth?" I don't see why that would be especially problematic unless you were suggesting the only way to believe those verses was to think the Earth was literally a square plane with four corners on it. That's the notion I responded to.

Is that what you were trying to suggest? If it was, then my posts were valid and appropriate. If it wasn't, then I'm sort of curious about why you asked about that phrase in particular. Could you shed some light here?

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That phrase was simply one of about a million I could have chosen... there was nothing particularly special about it.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I've not read the thread, but to answer the title...no. It's an interesting work of fiction, that presents interesting scenarios, much akin to the works of Hans Christian Anderson.

4. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    "I'm sorry, my friend, but the bible teaches that you and I could never be related; not through the passage of time
    via evolution, nor space warp, nor any other device."

[​IMG]

"Now get your stinking paw off me, you damned, dirty ape."

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    www.evilbible.com

I invite you all to check that page out. There is some really ****ed up stuff in that holy book.

6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The myths and legends of Bronze Age goat-herders were never meant to be taken as gospel. The people who invented, circulated, added to and materially changed these obviously fictional tales did not necessarily intend for them to be believed as factual truth. That only happened when the Europeans got their hands on it.

Thanks, ancestors! o_O

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes. We all remember when the Jews revolted against the reign of the european Antiochus Epiphanes because he was trying to get them to take the Torah more literally when they had just regarded the whole thing as a bunch of fictional stories that they were eager to adapt to the new Hellenic society they found themselves in.

Oh, wait.

darthhelinith likes this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The bible was always meant to be taken as true. This is why we discard it

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I don't know why everyone's fighting over the morality of the text in the Bible. It's irrelevant to the question "do you believe in the Bible". All that is required is proof.
    So who's got the proof?

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Of course I believe in it, I own one so I know it exists.

11. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    You know, when atheists claim that they don't mind religious people as long as they're not trying to force it onto them, and then they go on and thrash everything that's written and do their very best to prove that religion is all bs and you would be stupid to believe in any of it... I find it just a liiittle bit hypocritical

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Not sure if you're referring to me, but if so, I'm not an atheist.

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I don't think I could have put that any better. To add a bit more, it is merely a book of histories, but definitely not a book of History. And most definitely, not the word of a "god" faxed down from "heaven".

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not sure how that is trying to force atheism on religious people; if it is, it's less hypocritical than stupid because I'm pretty sure that's never worked. People here are just explaining why they don't take the Bible as the literal truth.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yep. Repeatedly and belaboredly. :p

16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Ridiculous beliefs merit ridicule.

timmoishere likes this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Proving the bible is wrong =/= forcing atheism on you

You know, you guys wouldn't have this problem if your holy book didn't make silly claims about the nature of the universe.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    It's not even so much the book the book making silly claims. It's the people who extrapolate absurd pseudoscience based on those silly claims making sillier claims and sourcing those claims back to the original silly claims in the book.

Edit: I still haven't watched the Wendy Wright interview. Not sure my stomach could handle that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I don't believe the bible is true.

Because I believe the stories in the bible are the corruptions of the REAL word of God that is found in the Holy Qur'an.
    PSYCH! [​IMG]

I'm an atheist.

20. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Irreverance alongside Jabba-wocky randomly picking fights. Pretty much what I expected.

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't like to disappoint people.

22. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I think the worst violence the Bible has done is to our cultural imagination. For 2000 years now we have been obsessed with a frankly boring tribe of Semites who just happened to get lucky enough to meme-virus the much, much cooler Roman Empire.

23. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I find it hard to believe that in 2013, with everything we know about science, historically significant events and everything else we know about, there are still people who believe in the bible 100%.

Some people say they believe in God and believe in the Bible buuuuut not "everything" in the bible. It seems to me that's how most people are, semi believers.

Which leads me to believe if youre willing to accept some things in the bible as BS why not the entire thing as BS???

24. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Because reducing religion to simply personal acceptance of facts is to miss about 99 percent of what it is about.

25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Not in the general case, no. But when people specifically start questioning others about their beliefs, that's unambiguously confronting them with beliefs, which is the part of proselytizing that makes people uncomfortable. That does qualify for hypocrisy. If someone didn't ask you to prove the Bible is wrong, then the discussion is still as unwelcome as the guy that didn't ask to be saved from the fiery pits of Hell. Neither one wanted to hear it.