main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Kotor kind of explained it by being able to focus the force better with “famous” blades or crystals, presumably because they had some force residence of the former owner or something like it.

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Why would Sith only use red lightsaber crystals?

considering how ultra individualistic, and self centerd they are why would the want a uniform weapon?

It never made sense lore wise, they should use whatever crystals they want especially if they are operating incognito.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Darth Acina took the seat after Hadra was killed? Then why in the novel the council were still talking about getting Karrid and Gravus the seat of technology?

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Just saying the films and the rest of the EU depict sith using almost always, red lightsabers, a reason why they did even came up in the EU.

Yes they don't have to, but they choose to because of tradition (and there were legitimate reasons for said tradition to originally exist).

So i think all Sith in TOR should wield red blades (or a variant of red coloring). It sort of takes away the star wars feel when you see a bunch of sith with yellow, purple, orange, blue, green, blades, same goes if i saw a bunch of jedi with red blades (though that's something i haven't seen yet on TOR).

Giving the Sith many colors also takes away one of the differences they have with the Jedi.

Now if this game was set during the Exar Kun days, then it would make sense to see Sith wield jedi colors, but it is not.

By the way you can still have individualism with lightsabers, even though practically all members of said organization use the same color. After all, lightsabers come in many different shapes/appearances. So though a Sith may use the same color as other Sith, his lightsaber could be made differently. An example being Palpatine's lightsaber, which is an Electrum one unlike a standard one. And even with standard lightsabers, personal preference could create various looks, therefore promoting individuality

O if you want to know why the tradition exists, here you go......

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Synthetic_lightsaber_crystal

The history part talks why the Sith adopted the tradition.

5. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I find authors bearly mention lightsaber hilts, my shadow uses the elegant double blade lightsaber [augmented].

off the top of my head.

Leia's original saber had a ruby blade, Jacen's ice green, Lowbacca molten bronze, Zekk flame orange, Tenel Ka turqoise with her rancor tooth saber hilt being unique. And Jaina being purple/violet.

besideds Tenel Ka, their hilts never touched upon. I think Corran Horns lightsaber hilt looks like a speeder handle bar.

6. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    And yet, no one in TOR is using synthetic crystals. Everyone is using crystals that are presumably crafted by someone with the artifice skill made from natural crystal precursors. So the method, at this point in time, is different for both Sith and Jedi. You use what's available, the crystals harvested in the field are already color-coded, so any character Jedi or Sith is going to utilize the best item they can make/buy/wrest-from-the-cold-dead-hands-of-their-enemies at any particular point in time.

Is this a break with the rest of the EU, I suppose, but there's perfectly good in-universe reasons to justify the game mechanics. Ultimately of course, this is a game, and forcing the Sith classes to use only red lightsaber crystals would be considered manifestly unfair by the players.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Red fit Sith the best. No other color is even close.

8. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Im not saying the game should force Sith to use red blades. I just wish the game was made in a way, that a Sith wouldn't need to get a non-red crystals just to get better stats, that they could find red crystals that could have high stats just like other colored crystals. If that was the case, im sure there would be more Sith with red.

And i thought the red crystals were synthetic. Maybe this can simply be justified by game play mechanics, and as well all know game play mechanics are not canon.

I find it highly unlikely that this Sith Empire never mass produced synthetic crystals, yes there are natural crystals that are red, but i don't believe they are as common as the other colors. So it would make sense for the majority of sith (though maybe a few carried natural red crystals) to wield synthetic crystals.

I'll just rp that my Sith is using a red synthetic crystal.

9. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    My Shadow actually uses a Purple lightsaber crystal bought from the old Geology vendor. Though Ironicly he is an artificer (I believe jedi should creft their own sabers), I still have the story lightsaber he constructed on Tython. I wish shadows got a similar scene instead of just getting a worn saber staff in a kit. But I understand it would be impractical to impliment.

10. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009

thats because Vader was the first sith fans were exposed to, but it makes little sense. Orange, Purple are no less "Forboding" colors. And eastern culture associate white with death, So for Japanese/Korean/Chinese players wouldnt white lightsber blades be just as "sinister" as red?

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I would agree most of the time since sometimes other colors fit a Sith best, though rarely. I think Exar Kun wielding a blue double bladed lightsaber fits him best, same goes for Anakin still wielding his blue blade in ROTS.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I like to use orange in the video games just because it isn't in the movies.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Orange and Purple aren't even close, red is the most aggressive and passionate one, the color of blood and anger. That's exactly what fit a Sith the best.

I've compared them in game, no color is even close to red.

I REALLY wish them to change Kun's lightsaber color, blue is good for a passionate Jedi, but not enough for a Sith.

14. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Eh, I just chalk it up to game mechanics. No matter how many awesome red lightsaber crystals are made available, people are going to want variety. Especially for those of us who play the game for loooong periods of time; I just get tired of looking at the same saber color, armor, speeder, etc. I like to change it up.

But that's really just on the player side of things. Just look at all the CGI videos for the game - every Sith, as far as I remember, has a red blade. Same with the official artwork, desktop wallpaper, etc. This kind of thing always got on my nerves a little when TFU came out. Over the top game mechanics were always just that, at least to me. Yeah, technically it's canon that Starkiller brought down a huge freaking ship, but it could easily be toned down if anyone ever decided to use that character in a serious story. Kinda like how every time Kyle Katarn went to investigate some minor outpost, he found an endless supply of stormtroopers to blast, saber, or Force-push off a ledge :p

15. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I have had both my Sentinel weild 1 red blade once, and I supplyed her companion Kira with a Red crystal (to match her hair), I don't see red as "Agressive". Color of passion? yes Blood? Yes rage? Seeing red so yes.

Agression can be cold and methodical as well as wild and passionet.

16. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    But its good for this particular Sith, because it makes him very unique, when compared to other Sith. What other sith beside Kun, has used a blue double bladed lightsaber? None.

I don't think every sith in existence has to wield red (Almost all should though). If that was the case, i would think Anakin in ROTS should have carried a red blade, which would have made the duel between him and Obiwan more like the norm.

Thankfully they haven't retconned Kun in using a red blade

17. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    A jedi with a red blade? Really?

It doesn't really make much sense for a jedi to use a color that is used by darksiders, specifically the Sith, when there are other colors available.

18. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    I dunno, is a fallen Jedi supposed to hand in his blue or green crystal when he becomes a Sith? For the rank and file Sith of the big empires, sure red blades make for a nice uniform look. But individuality is a good thing for unique characters, like Sith Lords or prominent Jedi who switch sides like Kun. And keep in mind, regardless of how many Sith Lords and Darths you see running around, each is the protagonist of their own personal story, each meant to feel like that one badass Sith who rose up the ranks to stand among the elite. I believe being the Emperor's Wrath entitles me to an orange saber. Or maybe purple.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Kun is a very arrogant, aggressive and savage Dark Lord of the Sith, red fit his persona much better.

Not all of them use red, quite a few Sith NPCs use purple lightsaber.

20. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Benitsubasa (my sentinel) yes, she isn't a darksider. But she is passionet, She killed the emperor with a giant stone pilir because he couldnt be contained and would not repent. She is in a relationship with Doc. She gets angry alont quicker than my Shadow Izaya, who loves debate, argument, and knowlege, Highly diplomatic through he wares destroyer armor and is a shadow.

They are heavily based of of Jacen and Jaina so much so i named them after characters in 2 anime i was watching at the time.

I gave Kira the red blade because of her fire personality, it matched her hair. I would give Nadia a white lightsaber blade but thoes crystals cost 1 mill creds a pop on the GTN. I have it, but still thats pricy.

21. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Wish they didn't.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    True Sith use giant crystal/metal blades anyway. [face_not_talking]

23. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    It may be worth noting as well that, within the TOR context, not all Sith are even dark siders. There are Sith drawn to the light within their ranks, there's a Revanite faction loyal to their own twisted understanding of Revan's biography, there are reluctant converts and former slave trainees. Tradition, however much force it once possessed, has broken down. The opening of the Sith Warrior storyline references this explicitly.

24. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    And the only reasons sith have red blades is because Vader had a red blade. Vader being a fallen Jedi it makes thematic sense.

All sith having red blades just reeks of lack of imagineation. Even the Dark Acadamy form YJK had the escuse that the lightsabers were mass produced.

Personally i think recopying the movies is one of the biggest mistakes of the Star Wars franchise. As antagonists go Star Trek cycled through the Klingons, Romulans, Ferangi, Borg, Dominion, and the various baddies of the delta quadrent.

The New Typhon pact novels, while the "Pact" is Made up of the Gorn, Romulans, Tholians, Breen, Tzinkethi, and Kinsha. The The Gorn and the Romulans are the least agressive of the pact Toward the federation. The Breen operate mostly as muscle and spys, the Tholian are more of a political antagonist, and the Tzinkethi being the most agressive militarily and most opposed to the federation philisophicly.

While there is a Kitimer Accords (Federation, Klingons, Cardasians, Ferangi)= nato and Typhon = Warsaw pact vibe echoing the TOS Ferderation USA/ Klingons Soviets vibe, they arnt retreading the same stories or even the same themes.

Maybe its just me, but the star wars fanchise the Star Wars franchise seems to be stuck in a thematic rut.

I see Star Trek: Into the darkness and I think to myself..."Wow that is generic action shlock copying the dark night of Nolans Batman" But hey it is adapting with the times.

I look at StarWars (this excludes the comics) I think "Wow, the same story in slight different window dressing....again"

25. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I wouldn't consider the Revanite's as a lightside faction. They worship Revan, the Sith Lord version, as a friggin god (i croaked when i had to listen to their talks about how Revan was basically a god among men), and they do practice the dark side.

And if a Sith gave up the dark, and joined the light, they aren't really Sith then. What defines a Sith is the belief in a specific ideology that embraces the darkside, if a "Sith" stops believing in said ideology, they are not Sith.

So it is a mistake to say all sith are not darksiders. All Sith are darksiders, doesn't mean that there isn't ex-sith who embraced the light.