main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite changes in the special editions?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Seagoat, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I like most of them, but the new Mos Eisley sequence is probably my favourite.

No, only Coruscant.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Exactly. Naboo was added in 04.

3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Any attempt to unify episodes 1-6 I support. I didn't see 4 & 5 prior to the repairs. I did see ROTJ as a child though
    Any attempt to unify episodes 1-6 I fully support. I didn't see s & 5 before the repairs were made. I did see ROTJ as a child though. I think besides the cleaner image, the thing I notices firt was the little shop of horrors plant in the sarlacc, I have still yet to see the blu rays. I'm still watching the dvd sets. I never want to see what the OT looked like prior to 1999. No desire at all. Id actually like to see the entire Complete Saga 1-6 redone in a 9hour animated form or a trilogy of RPG games would be interesting to me.

FRAGWAGON and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    On top of that it shows Jabbaa has bigger fish to fry. Jabba wants the Debt cleared, at that point he thinks Han can clear it based on past dealings. The scene also reminded my girlfriend of Jango, someone who doesn't read star wars sites or blogs. She would ask if Boba was Jango because of the mask. I would remind her it was Jangos son would rode with Jango during the tracking scene from episode 2. I think its a good scene to explain who Jabba was at that point & not who fans wanted him to be off camera.

5. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    All of them. :)

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    The Phantom Menace
    The CGI Yoda in TPM. (my second favorite change in the entire Saga)

Attack of the Clones
    Shmi calling for Anakin in his dream.

A New Hope
    Jabba added
    CGI Mos Eisley.
    All CGI changes to the Battle of Yavin
    CGI Stormtrooper mounts

The Empire Strikes Back
    Boba Fett's voice change
    CGI windows in Bespin

Return of the Jedi
    Hayden Christian added as Anakin's force ghost. (my most favorite change in the entire Saga)
    Darth Vader's "No!"
    Vader's eyebrows removed
    Sarlacc mouth
    Galaxy-wide celebration for the victory + the new Victory Celebration theme (I truly hate yubnub)

+ Anything I didn't notice.

Seagoat likes this.
  7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Agreed so far. Particularly CGI Yoda, Anakin's dream, and CGI Mos Eisley for the most part.

Gotta disagree on Boba's voice change. IMO the original performance fits perfectly. Curious as to why you like the new voice. I mean, AOTC creates the inconsistency, I don't think ESB should have been altered because of it.

I'm in two minds about this one. I'm a huge fan of the ROTS incarnation of Anakin, and I understand why the change was made (Anakin does metaphorically die in ROTS), but it makes it seem like the the older Anakin hasn't made the decision to turn on the Emperor. Yes, Vader represents that Anakin is dead, and Anakin truely returns when he saves Luke, but I (and others) prefer to think Anakin here is the sum of his experiences, not just the Anakin that was lost in ROTS. Not sure what to believe actually.

I actually like this because it makes it seem more realistic that Vader takes this long to save Luke (afterall he turned for his attachments in the first place). It re-enforces he is truely deciding to change, has had enough of Sidious, and knows it is the right thing to do. Not completely neccesarry to show this when it is implied, but I don't mind the change as much as other changes.

I hadn't noticed this, I will have to rewatch. It syncs with ROTS better.

Kind of stands out when you have watched the orignal, but meh.

I also prefer the new ending. Bigger sense of scope and a more satisfying conclusion. The song is the one I'm used to as well (I saw the SE first).

Seagoat likes this.
  8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I love all the changes.

The only two that irk me are Vader's "no" in ROTJ, which takes him from a silent warrior who's morality is tested in this apex of the battle, to the same whiny brat from AOTC will do anything to get his way.

Second is the stupid additional performance in Jaba's Palace. Takes too long and looks too stupid.

Vthuil likes this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    One thing I wish they did was they had completely redone the arrival at Bespin, instead of redoing only some parts in the middle.

Speaking of which, I really like the Cloud Car patrol sequence:

[​IMG]

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I for one, like the Fett voice change. Maybe I'm just biased toward the New Zealand accent, or maybe because Jango was one of my favorite parts of AOTC, idk. IT just makes sense, Boba is a perfect clone who grew up with Jango, so it's only logical he'd have the same voice.

It really annoys me that they didn't let Morrison re-do the ROTJ lines even though he bloody offered to <_<

11. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    That puppet Yoda was scary looking.

I mostly hate it -- because of the silly nonsense like slapping down the droid or the giggling Jawas.

Yet not all (or any) of the Stormtroopers.

Yes, but I like the 2004 dialogue (before they tried to make it look like Vader didn't know about Luke when obviously he does). In that version Ian pretty much re-delivers the original dialogue.

Hate it. For all the logical flaws...

I actually do like the new-age celebration music instead of Yub Yub.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why would they be? They aren't clones to begin with.

The dialogue was not changed from 2004 onwards.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Damn I forgot that one!

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Supposedly they're a mix of clones ( not necessarily of Jango ) and non-clones. A publication claimed they were clones back in 1978, and we've seen sources saying some were still Jango clones even post-ROTJ.

15. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I'd say that the Fett clones just don't have any speaking roles but... you know the infamous stormtrooper head bump? Apparently, all three of them were Fett clones... but no Morrison voice.

I think it would have been a nice touch if they had had Morrison record just a few grunts and screams for the background stormtroopers, just for that extra little bit of continuity.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I doubt clones (with their growth acceleration) would be alive at the time.

Well, Lucas used normal people on the Star Destroyer bridge in RotS specifically to show that clones weren't being used anymore.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm not sure exactly how the growth acceleration is supposed to work, but it may level off at some point. Battlefront II has Jango clones still around during the OT, while Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor features a Jango clone who's still around after ROTJ.

The clones would be among the stormtroopers. Why not use them, since they were obviously still around at that point?

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I doubt Lucas takes into account the EU, specially works that were done after RotS.

Well, I believe non-clone personnel was on that scene for a reason. If he wanted to show they were still in use, he would have Temuera make a cameo there. Just my take on the matter.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, even if we were to assume all the Jango clones had died off by the time of the OT, there can still be more recent clones among the storntroopers, from different templates.

20. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    The altered dialogue between Vader and the Emperor in TESB. I interpret it that Vader is pretending that he doesn't know of Luke's identity and trying to fool the Emperor.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They can, but that begs the question: why start using non-clones?

22. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Or it might have something to do with the fact that, for the past 2 decades, he'd thought that he murdered his pregnant wife and unborn child(ren) in his anger.

23. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Yes, I think either interpretation is possible from the information given to us in the films. I prefer the interpretation that Vader was deceiving Palapatine over the one you are suggesting.

I also feel secure that my interpretation is a valid one since Vader knows of Luke's identity in the EU.

Wookiepedia stays faithful to canon, and here's what wookieepedia has to say about it: "While his fighters searched the asteroids for the Falcon, Vader, temporarily abandoning the search upon being commanded by Palpatine (via Piett) to make contact with him, received a new mission from the Emperor—to capture Luke Skywalker, his own son and the pilot who had destroyed the Death Star. As far as Vader knew, Sidious was ignorant to Vader's realization that Luke was his son, and his plot's progression, to do just that. To deceive the Emperor, and thus allow him to continue making motions toward his own plan, Vader suggested that Luke could be turned to the dark side of the Force. The Emperor agreed, noting that Luke would be a "great asset." Meanwhile, as was the pattern with Sith Lords, Palpatine also began planning to eliminate Vader in order to take Luke as his apprentice."

Here's a link to the episode set before the Battle of Hoth in which Vader learns of Skywalker's identity: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_35:_Dark_Lord's_Gambit (This came out in 1980)

I also think it makes more sense this way. Vader was an only child, so he's the only one carry on the Skywalker family name and force-sensitives are really rare. In the period before ESB, he's been searching for the guy who blew up the DS, and during that search, he learns his name is Luke Skywalker, he knows he's force sensitive, and he knows he was hanging out with Obi-Wan on the DS. He'd have to be an idiot not to put it together.

In fact, at the beginning of TESB, when Vader learns that a probe has discovered life on Hoth, his immediate response is: "That is the system. And I'm sure Skywalker is with them."

I'm sticking with my POV.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Hm... interesting evidence, however I prefer not to involve the EU when it comes to the films, I'm a bit of a purist in that sense.

I actually do, however, now mostly agree with you, but I still feel that perhaps Vader could have been in mild denial about his paternity, thinking that there's no possible way that Luke could really be his son, even though it would only make sense.

darth ladnar likes this.
  25. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    The way you're describing might be the best way of interpreting it. He knows that all the evidence should lead him to the conclusion that Luke is his son, so logic tells him that's the reality, but emotionally he doesn't want to accept it. When the Emperor, who seems to know everything, tells Vader it's his son, he finally fully accepts it and any little lingering doubts fall away.

This also goes along with some book in which it says that Vader was surprised when the Emperor told him. I think it was The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, which was a very bad book IMHO. It mostly just told what happened in the movies, and it was very simplistic. It told his whole story birth to death in like 200 pages, so it left out A LOT.

What you're suggesting goes together with the EU, it makes his search for Luke at the very beginning of TESB make sense (he's trying to figure out: "Can this guy named Luke Skywalker really be my kid?"), it allows Vader to still be hiding something from the Emperor, and it also shows that the Vader's all screwed up and conflicted by the idea that his kid could actually be alive. I think I've changed my interpretation of the scene a little too.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Seagoat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.