main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Disagree, the EU (including TOR) should show connections to the films, yes they should pave their own path, try new things out, do things the films never did, but, some of their substance has to stay true to the films. Such as the basic conflict of good vs evil (though there is nothing wrong with showing shades of grey as well, which the EU has done), the jedi being lightsiders, following the jedi code, sith being darksiders, following sith code, Sith wielding red, jedi blue and green, etc.

Certain things are meant to be kept in a traditional sense, throughout all forms of star wars, and i have no problem with that.

Nothing wrong with the majority of Sith using red blades. Remember in many cultures today, the color of "red" symbolizes negative/dark emotions, including evil, so it makes symbolic sense for the Sith to use red blades.

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    The color red can also symbolize love.

Negative emotions are not always negative given context. Negative emotions can also be channeld to positive end. Dance being a way to work off lust and simulate sexual interaction. Or sports being a channel for agression and competativness.

The basic concept of good verse evil is never expanded upon, what happens when in the no win senerio ie commiting an evil to stop or limit a greater evil for one example.

I have to say the EU has moved away from good vs evil, and became right vs wrong.

The protagnists are right because they just are, the antagonist are wrong because they just are. I guess in the most basic term it is good vs evil.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I get the impression that Old Republic era (the publishing era) lightsaber colors are non-canon. After all, look how many different saber colors we've seen Ulic with.

5. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    There were some exceptions though : Exar Kun and his blue lightsaber, and in Old Republic Sith Inquisitor can use purple lightsaber. The most notable example in Old Republic is Darth Hadra : she used a purple double lightsaber and was part of the Dark Council.

Concerning Darth Acina : it is odd Darth Karrid is not mentionned in the codex, but honestly, considering Annihilation, I won't be mad if they just ignored her. Or mayble Darth Karrid wasn't mentionned considering she kept her title and seat only a few weeks (or days, I don't remember well).

Edit : I have another question regarding the Dark Council. Why is there only ONE pureblood Sith (Darth Vowrawn)? I mean, there wasn't a purge or something like the one on Kesh. I always find it weird.

6. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Fixed :)

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed (don't be sexist)

8. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Fixed. And im not sexist, the term "man" i believe was originally used in a gender-neutral sense for all of humanity, before it was also used for males.

And if im sexist for using "man" for humanity, then i probably shouldn't use words such as huMAN, or woMAN.

You might as well call Obiwan sexist for using the whole "more machine then man" comment for Vader. I really don't think he was using "man" to refer to the fact that Vader is male, but to instead represent Vader's lack of humanity in a more metaphorical sense.

Yes i know the word "Man" or "Mankind" isn't used as much these days for humanity, but that doesn't make me sexist for using them.

So please stop changing my post.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    if you insist

10. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    This statement is in opposition to the central conceit of TOR - that the Sith identity during this specific time period is a matter of cultural allegiance rather than Force capability. Essentially, TOR defines Sith in a different way from your definition of Sith. You are arguing for a very static definition of Sith, when the evidence is overwhelming that the meaning of the term 'Sith' has varied wildly over the course of Star Wars from the Baneite Sith to the One Sith to the Lost Tribe to Vitiate's Sith.

Ultimately that makes tremendous sense. We are talking about a term that has been in use for longer than current human history.

11. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Yes there are differences throughout the many different cultures of Sith, in the many time periods, but all Sith share common ground, that being the Sith Code/Philosophy and their lust for the darkside that stems from believing and practicing said code. I'm referring to the force sensitive Sith here, not normals who have allegiance to the empire (Sith troops, etc).

So yes, all Sith are darksiders. No such thing as someone who is still a Sith but somehow a follower of the lightside. In this case you can't have your cake and eat it to.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I killed Taborro the Hutt on my Jedi consular. My very very lightside leaning consular. I wanted to kill Parkaniss/Lord Vivicar mostly because of the pain in the posterior that final instance was. But I did the roght thing and exorcised him. But There is just total petty evil I can't abide by thus I dropped the roof on him!

Having my Knight kill the emperor was a clinical decision, there was just no way to bring him in. Final action...what he did out of pure petty spite... "Only I, get to kill you!"

13. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    What did people think of the expansion? I quite like the idea of the Hutts trying to restore their ancient empire. Both the doctor and Szajin are kind of fun explorations into the Hutt mindset and culture. Like how the doctor is a scientist and a respected one... and Szajin actually doing things because its not about money but about rekindling the Hutt Empire. I really could see a lot more done on this angle of the Hutts being a powerful third (or fourth if you could the Dreadmasters as separate) in the conflict.

14. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I liked the expansion a a lot, i am in the aftermath part now though.

15. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    The expansion? Eh, I'm not sure. I mean there's new gear's, and the new gear's cool, what little I've seen of it so far.

Makeb's okay, but it's not without problems. For one, the HP of enemies balloons like crazy from lvl 51-55, leading to level 55 elites with 60k hp. That just makes fights so blasted long. The same is true of some of the story missions, many of them have 5 or so stages that are each basically a full quest in and of itself and take close to an hour to beat. If you gained a whole bunch of new abilities from 51-55 that would make sense, but you don't. Each character's primary tree is already filled, so it's like going for 45-50 all over again. Combined with the shear number of enemies in new, larger mobs, and it gets really sloggy (completing Makeb once got me something like 1250 kills on the planet). There's also no class quest, so the prospect of doing it over and over for all my 50s is unappealing.

The achievements system and the new endgame gearing setup favor people who've just started playing. That's probably inevitable and it's quite fair, but it can be kind of weird to watch black hole gear drop on normal mode lvl 50 flashpoints.

My biggest gripe right now is getting rid of the operations group finder for EV, KP, and EC when you hit 55. It creates a really tiny window to actually play through them.

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Not played much of it yet... have been too busy the last few weeks.

Initial impressions so far kinda mixed between "cool opening cutscene" to "bleh", but then I'm only on the second zone, so nothing much has happened yet. Bit underwhelmed so far, but oh well... nice scenery and presentation though.

Agree with Mechalich about the lack of class quests though, that's really bugged me, as this is an expansion that people have paid for, meaning it's something BioWare have had the additional resources to really make special, so its somewhat disappointing for there to be nothing to make it different to another content patch. I'm hoping the NPCs get more interesting, as while meeting Darth Marr was fun, the two dweebs I've now got to work for feel more like something out of one of the Level 20-30 planets.

I mean, I've just launched a power coup, incinerated an entire fleet with a superweapon, won a legendary contest of power that will go down in the history books, and... am now taking orders from some lame junior Sith. Darth Marr? Fine. Lord... whatever he's called? No thank you.

17. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Truthfully I have only played 5 MMO's other than TOR :World Of Warcraft (night elf Druid stopping at Cataclysm so she 85), EVE online, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. I don't envy anyone who has to write a story basically a world to multiple character operation.

I head there were complaints that Traherne took over the story in GW2, and all I could think "What else could happen"Funneling every character to a single point? you either need no story, or one that converges everyone to a single point.

A planetary Quest and 8 class quests seem like more than just a digital expansion.

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Just finished the Imperial storyline for the expansion...

Despite my initially lukewarm impression, I actually ended up enjoying it on the whole. Definitely agree with Mechalich about it having been a slog though, as the areas are too crowded with mobs, making it very hard to get around without having to constantly stop and fight another bunch of pointless enemies. The difficulty... was interesting. I'd only just hit Level 50, so had bad gear, and hit problems around the half-way point when I was Level 52 and finding the Elite mobs just too. kriffing. hard. So I went back, did the planetary quests that I'd never bothered to finish on Belavis, Corellia and Ilum, at which point I was Level 54 and able to finish things off on Makeb. Expect it'd be hell for people who'd already finished all the old quests before the level cap increase though.

The boss fights themselves were well done, and I found myself actually needing to use all of my abilities for a change, but I imagine a F2P player and/or someone without any outstanding quests to do would find it really, really hard (even I had to do some Dailies a couple of times to finish off my questing and get to 54).

The story was pretty well executed though, and I feel the ending cutscene was doing some very, very clear foreshadowing about
    the Emperor's return, now that the Jedi have done exactly what he wanted all along: finally bring the war to the Sith, plunging the galaxy back into another Great War, in which there will be more death, feeding his power
    and that just has me wanting the next expansion now, as the plot is finally going places and doing stuff I wanted back at the start, as this is the sort of stuff we all speculated about years ago, only to get the main class quests which... while decent enough, didn't feature anything earth shattering, but at least things are finally going places now.

I just hope they keep the Sith Emperor fight soloable, as I was very glad that both Darth Thanaton and now the Hutt Archon were both possible to solo (although the Archon, like many Makeb bosses, actually took some tactics to pull off not just button smashing!), so I hope whenever they do finally set up the final battle, which now won't be a class story since they're just doing faction quests, that they don't suddenly go lame like Blizzard did and restrict it to an Operation.

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Finished the Republic side-story, it was... ok, although really most of Makeb basically amounts to a planet quest chain. A nice looking one, and it was nice to have my companion make a few comments when entering new areas or at important moments (haven't gotten any new dialogue from her since launch I think), but now to check out the rest. I was in Campaign gear, so getting through most of it wasn't too hard for my Shadow tank, and if not, I could always just break out my healer. Although briefly checked out the Makeb weekly and...

It kind of undermines the whole "have the planetary population escape in the Ark, with lava and fire everywhere", then Jace Malcolm calls up to say the planet is still fine. :rolleyes: Haven't really started on that, so they'll probably come up with some answer to explain why the planet is still there for daily quests (which I don't really bother with, they're too spread out for me to care, and even as a stealth class, avoiding all the mobs is annoying).

Ok digital expansion, although if they ever try to make a boxed expansion, I'm hoping for a lot more stuff then just one new planet. Still not sure if they're working on it now and Makeb is to tide people over or they're in bigger trouble then I thought. All the Cartel market stuff is annoying enough as is. Now to start the long slog to Arkanian gear.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Nobody145

The answer to your question about the planet is called the Imperial story. :p

As to the expansion not being that big, one interesting thing I noticed after I hit 55 was that it still lists an XP amount for the next level (950k or something). That was... curious.

As when I hit 50 just a few weeks ago, the bar just went blank, no information at all. But at 55 it is already implying that there are plans to open up Level 56, so... I'm sorta curious if that's just for the next expansion, or if they plan to patch in "Part 2" of Rise of the Hutt Cartel, and simply don't want people to be able to over level in advance.

21. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    Actually, I had the opposite reaction. I played through Makeb in full BH with some Dread Guard pieces. At that level of gear, it's a snooze fest, with many of the mobs almost ridiculously easy. A properly geared companion can almost take on some of them on his/her own.

And the quick way to gear for Makeb when hitting 50 is to liquidate planetary coms for the rakata lvl gear they offer and then play a few flashpoints, which now offer Black Hole gear drops from multiple bosses on normal mode.

22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, flashpoints require grouping, and in all my 55 levels, I still haven't completed the "join a group" quest you get when you first reach Vaiken Spacedock. :p

I swore when I finished Inquisitor -- and now Makeb -- that I'd give TOR a rest, as I was pretty bored, wanted to play something else, but... I started a Jedi Knight this evening, and I'm immediately finding the story far better than Inquisitor.

Korriban was sooooo boring, but Tython is actually proving pretty intriguing and feels much more well put together.

23. Strictly Commercial

Strictly Commercial Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2013
    The intro to the game overall is kind of a drag. I agree that Tython is the best of them, but in general I look forward to just getting done with it and getting to Fleet and then Dromuund Kaas/Coruscant in order to play the "real game."

24. Strictly Commercial

Strictly Commercial Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2013
    BTW is anybody on Bastion who tends to play Imperial?

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I have 4 level 50 Imperial there.