main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Star Wars Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I could be misunderstanding this, but I think the point being made in the last several posts is that the better the picture quality is (specifically on the SW Blu-ray DVD's), then the more the CGI stands out, because the picture is clearer/crisper. I noticed this especially in AOTC & ROTS, but more AOTC. The CGI standing out is not a result of poor picture quality, but a result of excellent picture quality.

2. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    BINGO!

3. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Higher resolution does not automatically equal better image quality. Image quality includes such things as sharpness, noise, dynamic range, tone reproduction, artifacts, exposure, color accuracy, contrast, etc.

I think the picture quality is still pretty poor compared to other blu rays from that era, such as LOTR. The color is off, the picture appears soft at times, etc.

My opinion (or anyone else's) can neither be right nor wrong as pretty much everything is subjective when it comes to a film's PQ or SQ. A quick glance through an enthusiast A/V forum would prove that. As far as TPM vs AOTC, if I came across as trying to pass my opinion as fact, then please accept my apologies.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What happens with the fox logos at the beginning of each movie after 2020?

5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    If you own the Blu Ray they won't be going anywhere. Hopefully Fox has produced enough copies to last well into 2030.

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Means nothing really I don't think 1-6 need to be bothered with any further leave the 4k stuff for the Disney movies.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    4k is about as close as we'll get to the actual screen resolution of 35mm, however. You're basically watching the OT and TPM with the dial set at "five" with Blu Ray...I'll honestly be pissed if we never get 4K for the OT. :p

8. oXdanXo

oXdanXo Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2013
    Has anyone viewed all of the extras on the 9 disc set, I've seen what I believe to be everything (I didn't click play all) and I can't see some of the stuff that was on the 2disc DVD versions like the practice lightsaber rehersals and how they made the lightsaber, etc. Have they left some of that stuff out?

9. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    GL wanted to make sure there was still a reason for another 'Complete Saga' release. :p

10. oXdanXo

oXdanXo Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2013
    I wouldn't put it passed them, it's clever marketing.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wouldn't call GL a clever marketer

12. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001

How many more billions would Lucas have to accumulate before you would concede him to be a clever marketer!?

jc1138 and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A clever marketer would emphasize the OOT more.

14. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Supposedly AOTC and ROTS were both filmed in 4k (I'm not sure about TPM) for future-proofing reasons.

As far as the Blurays are concerned, does anyone have a cunning way (not involving any pirate links that'll result in bans, of course) of watching the ROTJ bluray but splicing in the DVD audio at one specific point in the film?

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the cameras used to film AOTC and ROTS were only 1080, and were even cropped to only 817 vertical pixels in post production.

16. MRCynical

Oct 7, 2008
    You're right. Apparently the Prequel Trilogy were among the first major films (or certainly TPM was) to be shot entirely digitally in 24p, which is probably what I was thinking of. I must be thinking of something other film for the 4k thing.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Only 4 scenes of TPM were shot digitally. AOTC was first film ever to be shot entirely digitally.

18. MRCynical

Oct 7, 2008
    So at least I was right in my first post about AOTC being the first ever something. Even if the rest was hopelessly wrong [face_laugh]

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Actually, I believe there were only two scenes that were shot digitally: when Qui-Gon treats Anakin's wound, and the landing plataform scene where Obi-Wan argues with Qui-gon and midi-chlorians are explained to Anakin.

20. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    I fail to get what is supposed to be so bad about that line.

jc1138, mes520 and oierem like this.
  21. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004

Agree. Shows a remarkable lack of reflection on Anakin's part about his own situation. Does he really not want his feelings? He doesn't appear to be saying so. He is using such circular and vague terms to describe his yearnings--also saying that he feels that he is not in control of his situation, emotions, etc. I also am reading Anakin as trying to sell Padme that their's is a "one-in-a-million" type of connection, that can't be denied.

It's certainly not a smooth line, not something a more cocky, experienced, cocksure Han Solo or James Bond or Lando would say, but it shows how Anakin is (painfully) young, inexperienced, open, raw, and so on.

I know these points have been brought up before, and that many don't like a lot of the dialogue (esp. between A and P), but I hope they don't make changes in future releases.

A point about the blu-rays: I'm not a fan of the layout of the features, the large borders around the interviews/clips, and so on. It's also sort of a hassle to maneuver through. Much of the best "making-of" content was on earlier releases. I am a big fan of the starting menus, with the music over clips.

22. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Does anyone know if they are showing the Blu Ray version of Star Wars on TNT and TBS?

23. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    The prequels or the OT or the Force Awakens?

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Blu-Ray versions of TPM to ROTJ.

25. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Merged thread from SWTV asking about Star Wars blue rays to this thread in saga.